New to me VTECH VFR poor front suspension

Guest TomBouch

Guest TomBouch

I just bought a 2002 VFR800 with 20,000 mi. The front suspension feels like it has an incredible amount of stiction. I can feel every little bump and my hands get tired. Is this typical of the VFR or is there something wrong with mine. I looked and it doesn't look like the forks are bent anywhere. Could it just need a fluid change or is it pssibly something more serious. I also have a front caliper dragging that I am about to tear into but I would think that that would be completely unrelated. Any ideas?

VFR's aren't known for front end striction unless modd'd for a big boy.

If the adjustment screws on top are backed off all the way and you still cannot set sag to your weight, look to check spring rate, oil n rebuild to your weight.

May as well set the rear also. Life will improve.

• Member Contributer

VFR's aren't known for front end striction unless modd'd for a big boy.

If the adjustment screws on top are backed off all the way and you still cannot set sag to your weight, look to check spring rate, oil n rebuild to your weight.

May as well set the rear also. Life will improve.

Agreed. The pre-load screws on the top of your forks could be set full on. My 2002 has double the mileage and I don't have that issue.

The VFR has avg. forks at best, but doesn't sound like yours is normal. Who knows what the P/O did???

Very easy to pull and check spring rates and oil level.

Don't forget to check air pressure! :tongue:

BR

Don't know why you discard calliper dragging as possibly being related to fork problems when the calliper is attached to the fork lowers... :rolleyes:

Check your preload settings... standard is 2 scored circumferences visible in the adjuster in the top of the fork caps... if they're wound inward you will notice "harder" suspension...

Easiest way to get better compliance and less stiction rom your forks in addition to maybe servicing and changing your fork seals and oil is to install a fork brace. You'd be surprise how much twisting flex happens between the bottom triple clamp of your bike and the front axle. installing a fork brace will keep the forks from twisting which then lets the front suspension work better and eliminate most of the stiction. Not sure what the diameter of your fork is (41 or 43mm??) But if its 41mm, theres a brace made for the VTR1000 that might fit made by "Coerce" in Japan. You will have to check your triples to see if the fork tube spacing is the same as what was on the VTR1000s. It's like $150 from eBay in their eBay store. They might also make a 43mm version intended for the Blackbird if your forks are 43mm. It might fit if your fork clamps are identical in dimension, fork tube spacing-wise, to what is on the Blackbirds. I installed a Coerce fork brace on my 4th gen a couple of years ago and it made a tremendous improvement on my otherwise, bone stock front forks. No more vague "wooden" feeling from the front end after I put it on. Now I know what the front end is doing when I ride it in the twisties.

Beck

95 VFR

I weigh 170. I'll do a fluid change and loosen up the clamps to make sure everything is aligned. I'll let you know if that does anything. Thanks. Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived