"How to" Remove your headers

turtlecreek

I have an 03 that I put catless headers on some years ago as one of a dozen or so mods. I am going to start putting things back to original today.

I searched for a "how to" on removing or swapping headers and cannot find it. My big question is:

Can I remove the catless and reinstall the 03 w/ cat. while the bike is on the center stand? I would think I could just put on the center stand, pull off rear wheel and it should sit on stand and front tire while I make the swap.

I seem to remember having dropped the shock out to access the rear downpipes. I also seem to remember folks securing the subframe to a rafter overhead to hold up the bike.

I just can't remember what the easiest way to support the bike would be to do this and turn to the all knowing VFRD board.

• Member Contributer

I think you are on the right track...I am a mechanical midget, but seem to remember reading about the same thing. Do a search for swapping out the rear shock and you should see something related.

Maybe PM Sebspeed or Baileyrock...

i can't remember, but think it can be done w/o removing the shock or center stand. Pulling the shock would give better access to the nuts, but you don't have to pull it.

BR

thanks. I just got it out. didn't have to drop the shock. off to get some washers. putting the down tubes back in is going to be fun.... :(

TC did you have to pull the CS?

nope. center stand remained as is.

"How to" Remove your headers

post-301-0-95837200-1344112280.jpg

fortunately, getting it off was easy. getting back on was a bear!

Anti-sieze on the threads when going back on?

nope. don't have any. good idea though.

so for future reference, i did the swap under the following conditions:

1. front canister is removed (just mentioning in case your bike still has it. i can't tell you if that would impact things)

2. bike on center stand

3. rear wheel and hugger removed (but shock left in place)

4. mufflers removed

5. plastics off (of course)

6. needed a long and short extension and a joint (knuckle) for my ratchet to get to the rear down tube nuts

7. you need new crush washers

8. both rider foot peg assemblies removed

other than that, you really can use an extra set of hands. it took me 1/2 a day to do this and it was quite frustrating trying to get all the pipes to match up and nuts on to hold it by myself. i finally removed the muffler and had the wife hold one end as i reinstalled the system and that helped me align the front/rear simultaneously. then popped the muffler back on, so be smarter than i and remove muffler first :)

oh...and lots of sweat and a foul word or two :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i ride on the track and find that my street riding is more sedate lately. on top of this, my wife likes to ride with me and with the rich map and no cat, the gas fumes were a little nauseating for her on the back. so, bottom line is i didn't need what it brought to the game any longer.

• Member Contributer

Hey Dale,

I just got back from Germany and the boys couldn't wait to show me the header. They look great. THey will be a much better base to ceramic coat than the $50 ones from eBay. We will take your old ones over to the powder coater in about a month. I post up a few pics when they get back.

Thanks again.

Keith

• Member Contributer

I've completely removed and re-installed the entire exhaust system on my '02 about four times. Never had to remove anything aside from the heat shield, but you do need a decent socket extender. You may also need a socket universal joint to get round the bend a bit. The hardest part of installation is knowing when to stop tightening because the crush washer provides very little resistance.

Hey Dale,

I just got back from Germany and the boys couldn't wait to show me the header. They look great. THey will be a much better base to ceramic coat than the $50 ones from eBay. We will take your old ones over to the powder coater in about a month. I post up a few pics when they get back.

Thanks again.

Keith

glad you liked them. hope the powder coat works well. great sons by the way. obviously have the passion for bikes! :)

Archived