I need help!!

Guest StayClassyJavi

Guest StayClassyJavi

I recently bought a 95 750vfr and I just started to notice that starts to heat unusually fast. Even riding more than 15 minutes no faster than 40 it starts to climb steadily. I checked the coolant levels added fresh coolant, made sure there wasn't any coolant leak and there doesn't seem to be. I'm not sure what other steps I can take to solving this problem!

as long as it doesnt get above 230F, youll be fine and change your cap (there cheap). i believe the fan should kick on when the temp is 3/4 of the way to the top

Is the radiator and the oil cooler functioning? Unless you are running very lean and bouncing off the rev limiter it shouldn't heat up that fast. However, with that said as long as the bike stays in-between C & H marks you should be fine.

I just found out the fan isn't turning on and I already checked the fuse an that wasn't the problem. Does anyone know about how much a new fan costs? Also how much of a pain is it to replace?

There are several threads on the forum regarding Bad Fans & Fan Modifications, First make sure the fan isn't jammed from debris.

In 90% of cases there's nothing wrong with the fan; instead, the thermoswitch that activates the fan is the usual suspect.

Touch the wire going to the thermoswitch to a chassis ground, and the fan should run when key is ON.

If the coolant is more than 3-4 years old, your bike might run cooler if you drain, flush the system with a garden hose, and refill with fresh 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze.

If the fan or switch is bad, the bike should still run cool as long as you are travelling at high speed. Constant sustained 60 MPH and it should never heat up.

If it heats up at highway speeds, you have issues other than the fan/switch.

Thermostat is the usual suspect, followed by the rad cap, water pump, assuming the rad isn't blocked externally or plugged internally, and the coolant level is good, no air in the system, etc.

Could also be a faulty sending unit or gauge, but it's best to check all the fundamental causes first before going on to "bad data".

• 3 weeks later...

Is this green wire the one you're talking about? I have the more detailed Honda VFR manual and when reading it it said that the wire should be coming from the left side behind the thermostat

housing but after taking off the left fairing and digging around we ended up finding it on the right side. I'm not sure if this is the correct wire but we touched the wire to a chassis ground while the

bike was on and nothing happened.

photo

Green is always a ground wire. It doens't tell what colour it is in the diagram but I think it is black. The thermoswitch (that operates the fan) is on the rear left hand side of the radiator, right above the return hose to the water pump. That is the one you are looking for.

On the right hand side there is the thermostat housing, visible in your picture, with on the rear side the thermosensor that supplies the reading for the temp gauge.

Archived