Which stator to choose?

2wheels4me

I need to get a new stator and was just wondering which to choose. Ricks at about $150, online OEM $200, and I assume nobody likes Electrosport, which is the least expensive.

• Member Contributer

I would go with Ricks. Electrosport has a pretty bad reputation in other circles I run in.

-Jake

I don't think OEM is always as bad as people make it out to be. I'm surprised mine went a bit early at 30k but would still get another. I have seen others question Ricks insulation on the wires, so I'm hoping for some good feedback here.

skip the electrosport. I used one and besides the workmanship. it has bare yellow wires that do not want to go through both triangle grommets. (thus, my earlier oil leak)

My experience was on my '02 the stator replaced in '04 by recall went out in '07 with 42k miles on it, dealer said OEM was not available for the '02 so I had them install a Rick's, lasted a few thousand miles in 6 months, Rick sent me another one free, replaced it along with the wiring recall being done, but that stator lasted only a few hundred miles. Fed up I replaced everything with OEM, stator, rotor, R/R, battery. Still working at 89k miles when I sold it recently. It could be the problem was with the bike rather than Rick's stator. It seems the OEM is good for about 40K-50k miles. I hope others lucked out better with Rick's Stators. Their customer service was great.

• Member Contributer

See this thread. For the re-wind job just google Gary @ custom re-wind. I hope he is still doing this service. I am very happy with the work he did. Hope this helps.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70371-98-charging-system-re-build/page__hl__+huntinggunns%20+98#entry824192

I depend on my bike, i need it to work first time and for the longest duration and exact fit, that equals OEM. The oems can be had for under $200, thats cheap for a stator.

Archived