A couple 5th gen light issues

Guest Paul67

Guest Paul67

SO after my regulator went in my 99 vfr and fried a few things Ive got it back after some unfortunate honda dealership hourly labour charges. I asked them to leave as much as possible alone to avoid further costs and some left over problems (aside from a few bulbs being burnt out which is a nice cheap fix) are that my running headlights don't work. The highbeams work fine though. And also the right side turn signals are acting funny. Its blinking really fast and the rear right turn signal wont come on at all. The bulb is good cause it works when I pop it in the brake light. The front one goes on but blinks fast and the blinker on the dash goes fast to. The left side is all good, normal blink speed and both front and back work fine.

So no running headlights but fine high beams and weird right side turn signals....

I think in a car there is a part that controls the speed that turn signals go but no ideas about bikes.

And wondering if the headlights could just be in need of a bulb replacement but thought Id ask before buying anything I might not need.

• Member Contributer

It sounds to me like you've fried your headlights and some blinker wiring, probably due to the RR allowing too many volts. The blinker speed is (I believe) regulated by the resistance of the blinkers, if it's going twice as fast its probably because half the circuit isn't working. Visually check the bulb, as that is the easiest fix. If its good, as your suspect, then the wiring to it may be bad. Check your headlights too. Either both filaments burnt out from the voltage, or the wiring completing the circuit somewhere is bad. Come to think of it, it could be a fuse, too. I'd start with the fuse and the bulbs, and then move on to wiring. Before you start messing with lume (sp?) or electrical tape, check all connections.

Your blinker relay could be bad, but being one side works, I would find it unlikely.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the headlight bulb socket?

The workshop manual says to remove the bulb socket, remove the dust cover then unhook the bulb retainer but Im having a hell of a time trying to remove the bulb socket.

Im wondering if I might have to remove some things to have easier access to the area or if it can be done without.

• Member Contributer

Bulb changes are able to be done w/o removing any bodywork, but it takes a small hand. I take my mc to the dealer because they have someone with small hands.

After you remove the rubber boot covering the back of the bulb holder there is a wire spring that needs to to be squeezed from the sides.

• Member Contributer

Is that a requirement to work at a MC dealership, that you have small hands. Sounds preposterous to me. I'd like to see the instructions in the owners manual refer to the removal of headlamp by small handed persons. Just Kidding. Gotta rib Max.

Relax man I think he's just saying that someone out of the several mechanics will have hands small enough to swap the bulbs. Nothing about it being required....

Ill check what the dealer would charge for such a small job. Would still like to get it done myself, Ive done so little on my own any little job feels like an accomplishment. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Is that a requirement to work at a MC dealership, that you have small hands. Sounds preposterous to me. I'd like to see the instructions in the owners manual refer to the removal of headlamp by small handed persons.

I have a picture of a Japanese service manual and it clearly shows three very small hands removing an ice machine water tank...maybe they have one of those guys on retainer.

Now, having actually changed many a 5th gen headlight bulb, they are a bit*h for me because I wear xxl gloves...I usually get my son who has a slighter smaller diameter hand but just as long he tells me.

I still haven't gotten the old bulbs out but thought Id ask about replacements.

Will these work? I thought I saw them mentioned in another post as being okay.

IMG118.jpgIMG119.jpg

And for the turn signals I couldnt find the exact 12V - 21/5W and was wondering if I would be okay with 12/13.5V - 21/5.9W and 13.5V - 25/6W?

• Member Contributer

No you need an H4 bulb, those have the wrong base. Let me find a pic...

• Member Contributer

The three tabs that locate the bulb in the light fixture are symmetrical on all non-Honda m/c bulbs.

You will have to bend one of the tabs back at 90* to clear but it is no big deal.

• Member Contributer

yes, I it is a 9003.

Not sure what you are asking about the turn signal bulb...

• Member Contributer

The plug on the back of headlight has 2 tabs left and right, they need to be squeezed in and then the plug pulled off the bulb. It is a pia, there's another thread going on this same thing.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/71671-headlight-replacement/

The high speed blinking sounds to me like a bad bulb iirc. Or maybe the turn signal relay went bad.

Pep Boys or Autozone should carry the blinker bulbs, Napa part number 7443, 21/5V.

Re-read your first post. The rear turn signal bulbs are dual element, so one element is bad causing the high speed blinking. Replace the bulb and it should be ok.

I found a 7443 bulb for the turn signals at walmart but the numbers are a bit off.

instead of 12V 21/5W its 12/13.5V - 21/5.9W

IMG121.jpg

And the bulbs for the lights on my mirror turn signals aren't the same shape and the #s were even more off. 13.5V - 25/6W

• Member Contributer

I found a 7443 bulb for the turn signals at walmart but the numbers are a bit off.

instead of 12V 21/5W its 12/13.5V - 21/5.9W

IMG121.jpg

And the bulbs for the lights on my mirror turn signals aren't the same shape and the #s were even more off. 13.5V - 25/6W

Those will work. Have any pics of the mirror/signals? I have the same bike and have looked around for some.

Ya heres what the mirrors look like. The guy who sold me it said they were gsxr mirrors I believe. Im going to try putting white bulbs in them instead of orange. Or is that something I should stay away from? I feel like the huge ugly stock turn signals is more than enough orange as it is.

DSC_0847.jpgDSC_0843.jpg

Nice bike! Like the old style Honda wings on the tank.

ya its one of the many upgrades it had. Much better than the possible boat horn and iphone charger he stuck on it that may have helped contribute to all these electrical issues.

So I changed all the turn signal bulbs and they work fine now nothing is blinking fast so thats good.

Now I just need to somehow get the headlight bulbs out. Going to try and get the girlfriend to do it she helped me with something else that needed small hands. Then all thats left is the tach and speedo.

• Member Contributer

I just checked with Honda Town here in Minneapolis. They do the work I'm inclined not to do. He said it was less than a 15 minute job. At $80 / hr. that's less than $20. Worth it to save my (ex-large and sore) hands.

• Member Contributer

Nice bike! Like the old style Honda wings on the tank.

ya its one of the many upgrades it had. Much better than the possible boat horn and iphone charger he stuck on it that may have helped contribute to all these electrical issues.

So I changed all the turn signal bulbs and they work fine now nothing is blinking fast so thats good.

Now I just need to somehow get the headlight bulbs out. Going to try and get the girlfriend to do it she helped me with something else that needed small hands. Then all thats left is the tach and speedo.

Glad it worked out. Although, Honda does list the same dual element bulb for the f/r turn signals and r brake lights, the r turn signals aren't normally illuminated, just when the turn signal is flashing. Makes me wonder why it needs a dual element bulb? :huh:

Paul67, I'm trying to add the same signal mirrors to my own fifth gen, but blew the fuse. While I'm out grabbing extra fuses, did you stick with the 10 amp fuse, or did you have to make a change? If anyone has any insight here, please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

I tried the H4 and they wont fit the base is off a bit and it said 12v 45/45 on my bulb not 55/60w like the silver stars say i cant seem to locate 45/45w online!!!?!?!?!

• Member Contributer

To put a light in that is not from a Hinda m/c dealer you will have to bend one of the three tabs on the H4 bulb base down at a 90* angle.

If you want to stay with the stock 45w output and don't want to screw with bending the base (very easy with needle nose pliers) then just buy a pair of bulbs from your local Honda shop.

Archived