Kids Leather Riding Gear?

KanadianKen

My kids like to go for rides with me. That is very cool, cause I'm sure in a few years they will have to be bribed to do ANYTHING with me!! ;)

So - if they are going to ride with me - I need to get them geared up a bit better than they have been. My son rides with me with his MX boots on, jeans and a jacket - along with his Shoei Helmet and MX gloves. He used to also wear his chest protector - but its too small now - so it isn't worn.

I'd like to get him leather jacket and pants - but have no clue where to look and how to size him. Same for my daughter. She loves to go for rides with me - but she has even less gear than my son does.

Anyone here have any kids riding gear for the street - that they want to sell - OR - does anyone know of an affordable source for this type of stuff? As they are growing quickly - I don't think I'd get more than one - maybe two seasons out the gear.

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

I cannot speak to the quality of the gear, but I saw a rack of kid's street gear the last time I was at my local Cycle Gear store. I don't know if they are US - only (they only have US locations), but you may be able to have an order shipped to Ontario from their website.

Aha! Found it on their website: http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categories/street-gear/mens-street-apparel/kids

Again, there's probably better gear out there elsewhere, but it will cost more, too (of course).

Good luck!

Ron

• Member Contributer

Your kids have grown a lot since I've seen them and some smaller women's jackets should fit them...maybe even an XS men's jacket. Throw out a chest, waist, and inseam length and we will see what's out there.

Does it have to be leather? I started my kids in riding with Joe rocket ballistic pants in womens XS or XXS, and a JR Phoenix jacket in XS, lasted them for two year or three years before I sold it.

Ebay and kijiji might find you some deals.

• Member Contributer

Leather? Textile? New? Used? Enquiring minds need to know! :tour:

TImmy found a two piece set of leathers on an interweb site that might be a good solution. I'll post up what the result is - in case anyone else is looking to outfit their kids as well.

ANyone see a reason that MX boots couldn't be worn on the street as a passenger? His boots still fit him and if I can save the $ in that area without a compromise - I'd like to.

• Member Contributer

ANyone see a reason that MX boots couldn't be worn on the street as a passenger? His boots still fit him and if I can save the $ in that area without a compromise - I'd like to.

Yeah....he will keep sticking his leg out in the curves, MX style! :ph34r::tour:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, but they are black.....you're not gonna let him have them, eh?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, but they're black. I hear you like black. :tour:

And not letting Ken have them would be what a real regulation dick would do. :laugh:

The plan actually worked. (Guy would not ship to Canada), so I put my freakishly tall 9 year old son next to them for comparison. (57 inches tall) I wish I could stretch these leathers....they are of very, VERY high quality and have hard armor throughout. And all for very cheap. Bonus. EBay can be your friend sometimes.

538270_4179128076221_1704295263_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd like to get him leather jacket and pants - but have no clue where to look and how to size him. Same for my daughter. She loves to go for rides with me - but she has even less gear than my son does.

Anyone here have any kids riding gear for the street -

I have a pair of women's XS mesh pants that Trace gave me and I would be happy to Pay it Forward. I promised Trace I would return them to the good karma pool... They are small and my daughter (5' at the time) wore them once before she outgrew them so they are in great, like new condition.

Anyone here have any kids riding gear for the street -

I have a pair of women's XS mesh pants that Trace gave me and I would be happy to Pay it Forward. I promised Trace I would return them to the good karma pool... They are small and my daughter (5' at the time) wore them once before she outgrew them so they are in great, like new condition.

RUsh - Kind offer! If you would - allow me to get some of my daughters measurements - I'll send you a PM to see if you think they'd fit her. Thank you!

And Timmy - good Game on eyeballing those Moto GP leathers for the boy. True - the seller wouldn't ship to Canada..... filling out those two lines on a customs form must be hard I guess? Looking forward to gathering them up from you on the next Honey Badger!! Matty will be thrilled!!

• Member Contributer

I'm past the kid stage (mine is 29), but seems to me VFRD could create a special forum for buying/trading/donating kids riding gear. Kinda like a ski swap. Just a thought. I'm outta here.

If they're comfortable to wear then go right ahead. Safety-wise I would think they're much better than typical road/touring boots as you can't twist/bend your ankle far.

• 5 weeks later...

Seems that a parcel arrived yesterday - and we had to give the gear a trial ride. I won't bore you with the crappy roads around here - or my slow ass riding - but here is a kid with full gear on - but he has some questions - and a statement.....

• Member Contributer

you look sharp, whipper-snapper.

He looks like the mailman. :ph34r:

Archived