Shorai battery in my 1200

Guest phobe

Like the whole idea of these new lightweight lithium batteries, but then I hesitated to jump in and get it as I heard that you need a special charger to properly "balance" the cell charge and get full performance out of them?? You didn't mention it in your blog, but did you get the special battery charger for it? If I heard correctly, you can't jeut plug these on to your typical battery tender.

Beck

95 VFR

Like the whole idea of these new lightweight lithium batteries, but then I hesitated to jump in and get it as I heard that you need a special charger to properly "balance" the cell charge and get full performance out of them?? You didn't mention it in your blog, but did you get the special battery charger for it? If I heard correctly, you can't jeut plug these on to your typical battery tender.

Beck

95 VFR

As long as the charger does not have a "desulfurfier" mode, it's good.

I will use the small variable battery tender when the time comes, monitoring with a battery bug meter..

I've got a couple of ordinary little CTEK 800s. I think they desulfate so they're probably not recommended. Shorai says their batteries can sit for a year without losing their charge.

• Member Contributer

The problem I have with using A123 cells is pretty much the same with any lipo based battery. To really make them last, you need to take good care of them. If they are going to sit for a while, you do not want them to sit at the voltage they are probably charged to from the bike's stator. Even a day supposedly starts to deteriorate the battery's performace. I used mine for TMAC after my normal Pb battery died. When I got back, it was sitting at 14.2-14.3V. Storage voltage should be around 13.6V (3.4-3.6V per cell). I used my RC charger to discharge them down to storage since it has A123 functions on it. Balancing is sort of the same deal, just making sure one cell isn't way off from the rest or doesn't get undervolted or over volted.

How much of that is tested and true, I don't know, but it makes some sense.

I have an 8 cell battery, made from DeWalt tool battery cells. I had it for 1.5 years before I did anything at all with it, it just sat in the box. After 1.5 years, it had 12.7 volts. I put it on my Battery Tender and it lit up green, fully charged, in 45 min.

9 months later I still haven't put it in a bike, but it still has full charge, used it to test a few systems and lights.

590 lbs and we're worrying about lighter batteries???

You obviously didn't read it. ;)

Ok so I read it. Nice guy, and an even nicer name!

Airdrie, eh? I'll have to ring you up next time I'm through there, 3rd week of July perhaps?

Archived