Fuel Range

I ran a search on this topic but could not find a specific thread dedicated to fuel range. Seeing as this is one of the biggest issues noted in VFR tests and one of the big deterents against buying a VFR12 I thought it would be a good discussion...

For me the purchase price and fuel range were the two biggest draw backs to buying the bike. All the magazines had complained about it and the internet forums were full of hate too. My first couple of tanks were pretty dismal as well (200km-ish) however as time goes on I am getting better and better range. In fact my last tank gave a theoretical maximum range of ~ 320km and there was some decent high speed riding in there as well! So is mine the annomaly or do they all do this? Should Honda have broken in their test bikes before giving them to the magazines so they could get the real story instead of the first 800km?

I am liking this bike more and more with each ride.....

• Member Contributer

Hey High_Side!

Yeah, economy is dismal on the 1200... at least for me. Converting from SAE to Metric here... I fill up on average at 250km (149 miles). That seems to be when my fuel light gets insistent, and typically I fill up with about 3.6-3.9 gallons or 14.3 liters.

In mixed riding (city, highway) I'm averaging about 36 miles/gallon or 17.48 km/liter

Not great.

However, for me, I need to get off and stretch a bit every 150km or so... and finding a filling station to stretch at isn't that big of a deal. Also, the fun factor of the bike more than outweighed the shortcomings on range.

When I tour, I take a small bottle of extra fuel just in case as a precautionary measure... it's about another 16km of range out of my bottle. Wish I knew what you were doing to stretch that fuel economy so much.

I have done the 1st/2nd gear fix and I wonder if that impacts economy any. I'm sure it must in city driving.

• Member Contributer

I suspect you are getting better gas mileage because of a switch to summer gas. People in the know can confirm or not. I hope I'm wrong... But it'll be interesting to see if this trend of yours lasts.

Best of luck! Lucky bastage, all reviews do say it IS an awesome bike!

C

I'm at 34.6mpg, 2500 miles total. I typically fill up around 120 miles, which gets me anywhere between 3.5 and 4.3 gallons. Then again, don't listen to me, I live in the country and ride like a maniac.

I always compare the VFR 1200 to the most popular Honda commuter bike in Europe, the Honda Deauville NT700V.

The Honda Deauville has a V twin engine, cardan and is some 30 kg lighter than the VFR 1200. The fueltank is a little bit bigger: 19.7liter, but has 100 HP LESS than the VFR 1200.

Under normal driving conditions, I use +-25% more fuel than the Deauville (+- 5 liter +-6.5 liter). With his tank the Deauville will do some 80 kms more - not that impressive IMO.

It's only a question of adaptation. When I take a break, I try always to refuel, even if I have only done 200 km.

The only difference between the Deauville and the VFR 1200 is this: the moment the fun stops for the Deauville, the fun starts for me!

Once you are over the 4500 RPM - WOW what fun you can have! 180 km/hour in third gear with a sport/tourer, that's 60 km/hour over every speedlimit (unless you live in Germany or on a track day)

The VFR 1200 is for me the perfect compromise for what I want - the fueltank is the least of my concerns. I drive motorcycles for more than 30 years and this is the best bike I ever owned!

• Member Contributer

I get approximately 38 mpg in mixed riding and on the back roads. Straight highway riding I can get up to 42 mpg at 70 mph with no headwind. The bike has 23K miles on it and the fuel numbers have been pretty consistent since I bought it.

I'm with Brian on this one. ...I ride like a maniac too, which results in limited fuel range, and an open account with my online tire-dealer! lol

According to fuelly.com I'm averaging 34.8mpg over the course of 13,600 miles (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/zenmoto/vfr1200f).

...that also equates to 4 sets of shagged tires with me working on the 5th.

But DAMN is it a fun way to throw money away! :)

I've tracked every bit of fuel I've bought and burned, and it's not pretty at all. 8.0 l/100 km, 29.3 mpg(us), 35.2 mpg(uk). The most I've ever ridden on one tankful was 221 km. I got the thirsty one. The bike just turned over 10,000 km last weekend. I really, really like it, especially now I have PR3s on it. I just wish I got average mileage.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/vfr1200f

I'm with Brian on this one. ...I ride like a maniac too, which results in limited fuel range, and an open account with my online tire-dealer! lol

According to fuelly.com I'm averaging 34.8mpg over the course of 13,600 miles (http://www.fuelly.co...enmoto/vfr1200f).

...that also equates to 4 sets of shagged tires with me working on the 5th.

But DAMN is it a fun way to throw money away! :)

I hear ya, dumped my OEM Bridgestones at 2400 miles, almost totally bald. I was going to type something else but it's 72 degrees outside so I'm going to go throw away some more money before it gets dark.

PS lowest mpg on a tank to date was 20.4!

I've tracked every bit of fuel I've bought and burned, and it's not pretty at all. 8.0 l/100 km, 29.3 mpg(us), 35.2 mpg(uk). The most I've ever ridden on one tankful was 221 km. I got the thirsty one. The bike just turned over 10,000 km last weekend. I really, really like it, especially now I have PR3s on it. I just wish I got average mileage.

http://www.fuelly.co.../honda/vfr1200f

Hi,

I got the upper one on your list (ZP), and I'm averaging 7 over just 6 fuel-ups. I did get one fuel-up of 8,8 l/100km so very dependent on riding!

Can I ask you: have you got the touring screen? Because the 8.8 I got, I had without the touring screen (removed it for a couple of days to see the effect), but I'm not sure it's related.

I avg 35 - 40 mpg in varied riding. Closer to 40 w/mostly highway miles. Closer to 35 w/more spirited riding. Wish it had better fuel economy and range. Tank is kinda small. The fuel gauge, like all motorcycles I've owned, doesn't move off FULL until over 60 miles on the tank. Then it moves to near EMPTY by 120 miles. One of the few things I would change about it the bike is the gas gauge and fuel economy. The speedometer is accurate. That is a nice change from other bikes I've owned. I guess fuel mileage/range is one of the few niggles I have about the bike. Otherwise, the best bike I've owned.

Ride safe

Mark

PS. I had a 2003 Buell XB9S. It was incredibly fun to ride. A tad impractical though. I rarely got below 50 mpg and averaged closer to 60 mpg. That was nice.

It looks like my numbers are right on with BrandX. I've tracked my fuel since day 1 using Fuel Log. I've put roughly 1200 miles on the DCT since March and do mostly city driving (and I do like using the throttle). My best fuel consumption was 35.26mpg, average fuel consumption is 32.10mpg and worst was 29.5mpg. It's hard to believe that so many people can have such different gas mileages with the same bike... I wonder whether or not the auto vs. manual makes a difference.

Hi,

I got the upper one on your list (ZP), and I'm averaging 7 over just 6 fuel-ups. I did get one fuel-up of 8,8 l/100km so very dependent on riding!

Can I ask you: have you got the touring screen? Because the 8.8 I got, I had without the touring screen (removed it for a couple of days to see the effect), but I'm not sure it's related.

I do have the touring screen - I got it when I bought the bike. Interesting - I should take it off for a while during the warm weather to see if that helps.

• Member Contributer

I suspect you are getting better gas mileage because of a switch to summer gas. People in the know can confirm or not. I hope I'm wrong...

Actually we don't have summer gas, our gas blends stay the same all year long, its only a US thing with the summer and winter gas blends thing. CBC did a thing about it back in late March early April when the prices spiked up to the $1.40 a liter range in Toronto. The switch to summer fuel was where everyone was pointing fingers. CBC say that was all fine but Canada doesn't have summer/winter fuel blends. I'll look for the story and post it..

Over 3600 miles or so fuelly showing me at 34.8 mpg. A pretty good bit of that been on the highway. My best was 43.3 mpg and worst was 28.6 mpg

Hi,

I do have the touring screen - I got it when I bought the bike. Interesting - I should take it off for a while during the warm weather to see if that helps.

I think you misunderstood me, as I experienced it (note: only one fuel up so not at all a good reference!), The bike did about 20% worse without the screen!

• Forum CEO

For the veefalo, I average around 38mpg. I tracked it on fuelly for a while but that was a pain in the ass so I stopped. I rode with Baileyrock and got 167 miles on a tank and had to fill up 4.2 gallons - riding on a flashing indicator for 25 miles was unnerving. I figured it out, it starts to flash with one gallon left, so I know I can go at least 30 more miles at the very minimum I dont want it to run dry. A trip across hwy 30 in California I was flashing at 99 miles - yea we were really rapping it up into the 10k rpm range for the whole stretch, I had to fill up at $5 a gallon on some back water convenience store in the middle of nowhere. I find myself having to plan gas stops a whole lot more then on the 98, looking for gas at 150 miles vs 200 miles sucks! I carry a gas can when I am crossing a large expanse, like the plains between Colorado and Kansas, or across Nevada or Utah - there are some lonely roads out west!

Interstate I can often get 42mpg if I keep it legal!

• Forum CEO

Over 3600 miles or so fuelly showing me at 34.8 mpg. A pretty good bit of that been on the highway. My best was 43.3 mpg and worst was 28.6 mpg

My gas mileage sucked for the first 6k then the bike finally broke in, a couple of oil changes and all the break in was done.

Fuelly for me (2000 km just!) showing about 34mpg as well, which isn't that bad but far from "good" tbh.

My fuel light usually comes on at about 150 miles and I usually put in a little under 4 gallons. But, I rarely ride in cities, stop and go traffic or slow speeds.

heck i just bought a ninja 1000 and im getting 38 mpg, the fuel guage stays full then rockets down to the bottom so you generally freak out and fill up at 150 miles and put in 4.1 gallons or so.

roughly the same as you guys, but i have to deal with mega vibrations, lol

• Member Contributer

I've mentioned elsewhere that I typically get about 44mpg avg and 47mpg hwy. I don't ride like 23yo. so that might have something to do with it. I can expect the tank to go dry at about 210-215 miles which has actually happened to me once but that is just what my mpg avg x 4.9gal works out to.

One interesting note: During my recent road trip, I was in southern CO riding from Durango to Alamosa and over this stretch which covers about 180 miles, I used only 3.3g which works out to 55mpg. I can only assume that the higher elevation decreases wind resistance significantly enough to be noticeable, plus I also think I had somewhat of a tailwind. Either way I was amazed at the slow drop in the gas gauge, and this was with hard bags to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked mileage but I have to fill it up a lot. Ignorance is bliss I guess. As long as I'm not out in the middle of the desert or something there is a gas station on every corner so its all good.

Archived