Fuel Range

I am getting about 41.5 mpg. City and back roads riding mainly and the bike is used in the D mode for majority of the time. Don't care for the non-linear readings from the gauge.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I typically get about 44mpg avg and 47mpg hwy. I don't ride like 23yo. so that might have something to do with it. I can expect the tank to go dry at about 210-215 miles which has actually happened to me once but that is just what my mpg avg x 4.9gal works out to.

One interesting note: During my recent road trip, I was in southern CO riding from Durango to Alamosa and over this stretch which covers about 180 miles, I used only 3.3g which works out to 55mpg. I can only assume that the higher elevation decreases wind resistance significantly enough to be noticeable, plus I also think I had somewhat of a tailwind. Either way I was amazed at the slow drop in the gas gauge, and this was with hard bags to boot.

Higher altitude means less oxygen/pressure in the air to burn. The ECU probably detects this and leans the mixture off. You would notice a drop in power from lower altitudes. I aeroplanes you mainly have to lean the mixture off yourself but it does make a huge difference.

FWIW when I am riding with my brother (K1200S) we are ALWAYS stopping for gas because of him. Same hp, same tank size, same problem.

Brian

• Member Contributer

I've tracked every bit of fuel I've bought and burned, and it's not pretty at all. 8.0 l/100 km, 29.3 mpg(us), 35.2 mpg(uk). The most I've ever ridden on one tankful was 221 km. I got the thirsty one. The bike just turned over 10,000 km last weekend. I really, really like it, especially now I have PR3s on it. I just wish I got average mileage.

http://www.fuelly.co.../honda/vfr1200f

It looks like my numbers are right on with BrandX. I've tracked my fuel since day 1 using Fuel Log. I've put roughly 1200 miles on the DCT since March and do mostly city driving (and I do like using the throttle). My best fuel consumption was 35.26mpg, average fuel consumption is 32.10mpg and worst was 29.5mpg. It's hard to believe that so many people can have such different gas mileages with the same bike... I wonder whether or not the auto vs. manual makes a difference.

It does with cars so it only makes sense that it does with motorcycles. A car with a manual transmission will almost always get better MPG than if it had an automatic.

Going back to the VFR1200, I would think a fully broken-in non-DTC ridden the speed limit on the highway (and with a windscreen extension) would yield the best possible MPG. With a 4.9 gallon tank, if you average 41 MPG, you'd be looking at a range of 200 miles. If you're not a heavy person and don't put hard bags on the bike, that would also help.

A car with a manual transmission will almost always get better MPG than if it had an automatic.

Not as much any more. Most automatics are now more efficient than manuals.

• Member Contributer

A car with a manual transmission will almost always get better MPG than if it had an automatic.

Not as much any more. Most automatics are now more efficient than manuals.

Read this article: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-transmission/index.htm

They tested seven different cars with both automatic and standard transmissions and were able to get better gas mileage and faster acceleration with a standard transmission every time.

And check this out, too: http://www.sportrider.com/performance_numbers/146_motorcycle_performance_numbers/honda.html

They tested both the DCT and non-DCT VFR1200 were able to get much better performance figures from the non-DTC version. Notice it's not just the 1/4 mile, either. In the 60-80 MPH and 80-100 MPH categories, the non-DTC was the clear winner.

The only VFR1200 I've ridden is the DCT. I admit I liked it but at the same time, I walked away thinking Honda still needs to do a little more work on the DCT. Although they may have perfected the automatic transmission in their cars, I don't think the same holds true for motorcycles. I admit I prefer an automatic transmission in a four-wheeled vehicle but when it comes to motorcycles, I still prefer standard transmissions.

• Member Contributer

The main reason you aren't hearing so much about it is it's no longer an all-new model. A lot of the bikes it competes with (e.g. FZ1, Ninja 1000, K1300S, etc.) aren't getting a lot of press for the same reason. Another reason is I think the 2012 model has only been on showroom floors about a month now.

What you see here is about all I know about the new model. A couple things they don't mention is the rear light is now LED and the seat height is now a 1/2" lower: http://www.motorcycl...onda-vfr-1200f/

Although the '12 appears to be a better bike than the '10, a problem Honda is still going to have is a lot of people are reluctant to spend $15,999 (or $17,499 in the case of the DCT) on a VFR. If I was going to spend $16k on a bike, I'd probably opt for the new ZX-14 (and I'd still have money left over....then again, I'm sure the savings would be gone when it's time to insure it.

I can't buy until this winter anyway, bet i could statch up a '12 DCT the week after christmas for 13,000 OTD?

Also, it sounds like they did mess with the shift points, cool! and traction control would be sweet

Archived