8-spoke on 5th gen. Removing paint on mounting surfaces

skymon

Question

• Member Contributer

Just bought a very nice 8-spoke from fellow member VFR CaptBob. (Thanks very much Bob, it was a pleasure.) Its freshly powdercoated and I'm wondering how much prep the mounting surfaces need. It wasn't taped off anywhere.

I removed the PC from the raised flats of the machined area. Also the concave nut-seating areas. (That took some engineering with some small pieces of scotchbrite and a rounded wood dowel spinning on a drill.) Does the cylindrical area adjacent to the aforementioned machined area need to be free of PC as well? Anything else I should know?

post-19514-0-61282100-1337780257.jpg

11 answers to this question

The large center area only needs to have the powdercoating removed if you are using a Harbor Freight balancing adapter. It doesn't fit with the thickness of PC.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. It did need a little more attention to the insides of the area that steps down from the "flats" I blocked out. Bit of a hassle but looks great now though (If I do say so myself).

post-19514-0-25799400-1337834021.jpg

post-19514-0-38533800-1337834049.jpg

• Member Contributer

the pic on the right could be the twin of my bike...99 with 'tune high mount and sargent seat, even the same pro grips and y2k+ mirrors...very nice on the 8 spoke!

• Member Contributer

the pic on the right could be the twin of my bike...99 with 'tune high mount and sargent seat, even the same pro grips and y2k+ mirrors...very nice on the 8 spoke!

I think you're thinking of my bike!

• Member Contributer

The large center area only needs to have the powdercoating removed if you are using a Harbor Freight balancing adapter. It doesn't fit with the thickness of PC.

It's true. But bare metal is not necessary. And I never bothered to take any PC off anywhere else. Pretty sure I won't die a fiery death as a result.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I guess I tend to overthink stuff like that. I was mostly concerned about the powdercoat cracking and lifting if I squeezed it hard enough. There's probably .010 or .015 buildup on it.

• Member Contributer

So that's what it would have looked like had I ever mounted in on mine. Unfortunately I've sold my high mount Staintune and Corbin Smuggler as well. I would have just put it on the bike as is. The harbor frieght adapter was a very tight fit when I mounted the 2ct. so I likely would have taken a flapper wheel sander to it had I kept it. Looks fantastic and I think that taking off the mating surface power coating was wise.

Archived