How long do OEM brake lines last before needing replacement?

joneill

• Member Contributer

It is time to change the brake fluid and I am wondering if I should have the brake lines replaced as well. How long have your brake lines lasted? The bike is a 1998 with 40K miles on the clock.

I wouldn't normally worry about the brake lines but since I am bleeding the brakes I though I would ask.

• Member Contributer

Should be just fine. You can inspect them for any signs of external damage or wear from rubbing against other parts. Beyond that they should not need to be replaced unless you are upgrading to steel braided lines.

Some people use the oem lines for the life of their bike.

On the other hand, Yamaha now wants their rubber lines replaced every 4 years.

It's safe to say that you'll be happier with your brakes if you switch to stainless lines.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the good advice! In summary, it seems like "you don't need to but you might be happier with the brake performance if you did".

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the good advice! In summary, it seems like "you don't need to but you might be happier with the brake performance if you did".

That's in regard to going with stainless lines, but yes.

just replaced mine to stainless last year , 11 years on the old rubbers!! bike only had 55K KMS but made decision as the brakes started to get 'spongy' , so glad I did it, what a difference!

• Member Contributer

I replaced the rubber lines on my '86 FJ when it was 20 years old. They worked just fine, but you could feel the line swell if you squeezed the brake hard. I figured it couldn't hurt. The steel braided lines are real eye-openers after the old ones.

Archived