Part Specs for Fairing bolts

• Member Contributer

I tried to search for an answer, but I'm stumped.

Looking for specs on the bolts used to secure fairing on a 2000 VFR. The Honda part number is 90103-MBG-000 and from what I can tell is a 5mm diameter 20mm length bolt. That's great, but I want to replace with a torx bolt, so I need to know the thread. Does anyone know the thread density on this part?

I know it's in Honda's interest to keep such stuff a mystery, but I was hoping there was a resource for this type of stuff. Had a similar issue with the Frankenbolts to secure the cowl. Got that resolved --> http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70461-a-part-is-a-part-is-a-part-right/

If it isn't answered by then, when I get home tonight after work, I shall take one of mine and throw my thread gauge against it and see. My fairings are off, so the bolts are in a baggie.

Eyeballing it looks like 32 threads

No, not possible. 32 threads is TPI or Threads Per Inch, an imperial measurement.

It is M5x1.0 or one thread per millimetre. Just measured it with my thread pitch gauge.

Thread-Pitch-Gauge.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks. Gotta get one of those. Now I know what the 1.0 means. Is this right 5mm diameter at thread, 20mm length and 1.0 threads per mm?

Saw somewhere how to read bolt specs and it didn't clarify how to read the 1.0.

Thanks again.

• Member Contributer

Turns out I bought a stencil "thingy" (technical term) at Lowes that has a bunch of measurements including thread pitch. Unfortunately, no metric so need to do some conversions.

• Member Contributer

This would be just like honda. I can't find ANY security fasters at 5mm x 1.0. Barely any fasteners of any type in that configuration. It appears the universal is M5 x 0.8.

Go Honda.

• Member Contributer

Eyeballing it looks like 32 threads

No, not possible. 32 threads is TPI or Threads Per Inch, an imperial measurement.

It is M5x1.0 or one thread per millimetre. Just measured it with my thread pitch gauge.

Thread-Pitch-Gauge.jpg

Were you wearing your specs, mate? :tongue: Standard M5 thread pitch is indeed 0.8, and unless this is some whiz-bang exotic M5 I've never seen on a Honda, it is going to be 0.8 as well...

M4x0.7

M5x0.8

M6x1.0

M8x1.25

M10x1.5 (except Honda, which is nearly always 1.25)

Ciao,

OK well it was late, and while flitting through the various thread gauges going from large to small, the 1.0mm seemed to fit quite well, and I never went past that.

I held it up to the light to see how it fit and it "looked" OK.

I guess that explains the rest of the story, and that was that I planned to run it through a die to see how well the bolt fit, and I had an M5x0.8 die, but no M5x1.0, so I never tried it.

If I am bolt shopping myself, that's what I usually do is run a sample through the appropriate die just to be 100% certain, and in this case I did not.

Carry on then.........

Oh, and I just DID get glasses last week, and no, I was not wearing them! Haha!

• Member Contributer

Well, prior to reading the most recent posts, I bought a M5 x 0.8 and tested it. Yep. Work fine. Now to find some torx bolts in that size so I can protect my fairings a bit.

• Member Contributer

OK well it was late, and while flitting through the various thread gauges going from large to small, the 1.0mm seemed to fit quite well, and I never went past that.

I held it up to the light to see how it fit and it "looked" OK.

I guess that explains the rest of the story, and that was that I planned to run it through a die to see how well the bolt fit, and I had an M5x0.8 die, but no M5x1.0, so I never tried it.

If I am bolt shopping myself, that's what I usually do is run a sample through the appropriate die just to be 100% certain, and in this case I did not.

Sounds like a lot of work! Here's what I did: (1) Recalled that I've replaced dozens of Honda fasteners over the years with A2 stainless ones in standard sizes and have only ever had issues with the M10s. (2) Typed "metric pitch" into Google. (3) Looked at a couple of links until it was clear that there is a "standard" M5 pitch (i.e., 0.8). (4) Hit "Reply" and typed another of the brilliant, witty remarks for which I have become world-renowned. :tongue:

Ciao,

I've ordered a handful of bolts from this place, although it doesn't look like they have torx......only allen head. I could get stainless in whatever length I wanted though, which was helpful for the project I was working on. My local Lowe's doesn't have a good selection to choose from.

http://www.boltdepot.com

• Member Contributer

Is this right 5mm diameter at thread, 20mm length and 1.0 threads per mm?

yup.

threadprofile.gif

Well, no, not quite. You said 1 threads per mm. SI stuff measures mm per thread, which happens to be the same at "1". For M8x1.25, it is 1.25mm between threads, not 1.25 threads per mm.

In other words, exactly opposite to the SAE system.

Glenn

Well, no, not quite. You said 1 threads per mm. SI stuff measures mm per thread, which happens to be the same at "1". For M8x1.25, it is 1.25mm between threads, not 1.25 threads per mm.

In other words, exactly opposite to the SAE system.

Glenn

What he said.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If your looking for better hardware selections, try a hardware store. Lowes suck as do the depot for hardware and no one that work there know very much about it either. Try an Ace Hardware, thats were I have good luck, they usually got SS too. Also any farm supply store is a good place to look, Orshelins or Dickybub. Next hit up Napa or most auto parts stores but I am napa biased. They usually have a good stock espeically bigger hardware and ask them for there supplier bigbook it has all sorts of stuff in it that they can order you. They could also get you a thread pitch gauge or even better a full tap and die set.

One more thing I found full fairing hardware sets on the fleabay, just give is a search. I don't know if its any good but someone might.

Happy Hunting.

Andrew

• Member Contributer

In the 'States I use McMaster-Carr for metric stainless fasteners, but they don't sell by the piece--you have to buy a minimum quantity, which varies. (eBay is probably also an option, but I usually want my fasteners in a hurry!) In the UK I could order online (eBay or regular internet) or pop in to the local fastener shop and buy whatever I wanted--many more stainless options there, for some reason. In HK I have no idea, but I assume everything is available...if I only could speak Canto!

Ciao,

Archived