5th generation speedometer (running backwards!!!!!!!!)

Primo

Okay, it all started when I purchased new gauge faces for my 2000 VFR. To install the gauges I needed to remove the needles from the tach and speedometer. After reinstalling the needles, the tach seemed to be right on but the speedometer was way off. My assumption was that the needle needed to be inserted in just the right position but I really have no clue. So I took everything apart again and tried countless times to tweak the needle position. Now when running the bike in first gear on the center stand I get no movement at all from the needle.

So, I pulled the speed sensor off and cleaned all the connections as well as those behind the dash. I removed the plastic gauge face which has the little stopper at the bottom. The speedometer joint that goes over the sprocket nut looks to be in decent shape and voltages seem correct. So I found a bolt with the correct head size and put it in my cordless drill. When I connect the sensor and run the drill with the ignition on the speedometer needle moves but in the opposite direction. What the heck? Switching drill direction to reverse only causes the needle to move much slower but still in a counter clockwise direction.

Does anyone have any ideas? I ordered a new speedometer joint but I am pretty sure that is not the issue. All other dash functions seem to be normal. I am not sure what else to test. What does removing the needle really do? I know others have changed the gauge faces so I did not expect any problems. Could the speedometer sensor be at fault? About $80 for a new one. Not throwing any codes.

Thanks ahead of time,

Primo

Not sure I can be much help but I will confirm that the direction you spin the sensor pickup in the drill shouldn't matter...it's measuring via hall effect I would guess and it doesn't know which way it is being run.

My fear is that the needle was put on in the wrong spot and when you ran it, it bound up and damaged the speedo internals. Have you looked for used gauge clusters?

• Member Contributer

There are several specitaly shops on line that repair speedo's for hot-rodders you might try. A Google search will turn them up. I'm not sure anyone here's heard of this problem before (I sure haven't) - it may require an expert.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so the stinkin speedometer is finally fixed. I obviously screwed it up when I put the new gauge face plates on and pulled the needle. It figures! After checking everything my small brain could think of I bit the bullet and bought a factory replacement speedometer from Powersports Plus at $95 which was wayyyy cheaper than a bunch of sites. Three screws and a plug later and it looks like I am back in business. I am going to leave the factory face plate on (at least for a while) because I don't want to take a chance of messing things up again. Looks fine with the silver face on the tach anyways. So if your speedometer ever wants to run in reverse it just might be the unit itself.

Primo

Archived