New to the VFR: Have Questions, Need Opinions.

Guest Onyx

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the VFR and trying to learn as much as I can about it. The bike I need will be used for a 70 mile round trip commute and the VFR seems to be the best bike considering it's range and riding position. What should I look out for when looking over a VFR? Any obvious problem areas or things that go amiss with higher mileage V4s?

I was hoping to get the forum's opinion on a bike I'm considering, here is the link:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006-Honda-Vfr800-Interceptor-101511847

I was reading the high mileage thread and the numbers I was seeing were encouraging. Is the mileage on this VFR too high to consider for the asking price? Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

I can't answer specific's with the latter models but my '94 has given me no problems besides normal maint. for the 65k I have put on here over the past 5 1/2 years :fing02: I do not think you can go wrong with any VFR!

• Member Contributer

If all you want is a bike for a daily commute, get a Suzuki Burgman :tongue:

Now, if you also want a sexy looking ride, capable of spirited riding, touring 2-up, I think you have come to the right address....

Cannot help you on price, bikes in NL are way more expensive (read taxed)

• Member Contributer

He states 4900 dollars in the body of the advertisement, but it shows 4400 in the bold print section of the ad. I think if you can get it for 4400 or less it would be a good deal.

Don't let the mileage worry you. these things are built for longevity. I have over 42,000 trouble free miles on my 2003 and she gets ridden pretty vigorously at times. There are many VFR's that have seen triple digit mileage.

He states 4900 dollars in the body of the advertisement, but it shows 4400 in the bold print section of the ad. I think if you can get it for 4400 or less it would be a good deal.

Don't let the mileage worry you. these things are built for longevity. I have over 42,000 trouble free miles on my 2003 and she gets ridden pretty vigorously at times. There are many VFR's that have seen triple digit mileage.

The price reduction was recent, within the last two weeks I believe. I've had my eye on that bike, but have shied away due to it's mileage. So $4400 is a fair asking price? KBB.com give only a ballpark based on very low mileage. KBB bases is $6300 retail value on 19,800 miles. I was hoping to spend between $3,000-$3,500, but if I can get a 2006 model, I would be happy with it, too.

Is there any concern that the 6th gens do not have a timing chain like the 5th gens?

My 1st VFR '99 ..... I put 100k miles on it........ The one I now own '08 has 39k miles in just over 2-1/2 years, and neither have been a problem. From what I've read there shouldn't be any major moneys all the way to 200k.

These bikes don't like stop & go commutes "IMO"(read hot). But if your commute allows for rolling flow then there's no problem.

The engine is a brick, all the other parts will need to be maintained like most bikes, but not be a financial burden.

I'm not sure if that's a type-O but the 6gens are the ones "with" a timing chain. And no it doesn't make any diff' one way or the other.

Side note most ppl like the sound of the gears vs's chain.

I'm not sure if that's a type-O but the 6gens are the ones "with" a timing chain. And no it doesn't make any diff' one way or the other.

Regarding my timing chain comment, it was a misunderstanding on my part. All I understood was there was a change between 2001 and 2002. 2001s use a timing gear system, correct? Without researching it I assumed it was changed to a timing belt set up.

Regarding my timing chain comment, it was a misunderstanding on my part. All I understood was there was a change between 2001 and 2002. 2001s use a timing gear system, correct? Without researching it I assumed it was changed to a timing belt set up.

'01 to '02 ....... went from gears to a chain. the gears work fine and have a nice sound, and is considered the best, but there's nothing wrong with the chain system..... Some(chain) will make a noise with time and can be corrected with "little" money.

Also the Vtec started in '02 which is "2 valves work per cylinder until an rpm of about 6700 is reached then all 4 kick in smoothly" .....keeps the gas milage down till you need some power.

• Member Contributer

My 6th gen has been perfect...and I do mean perfect. All I have had to do maintenance wise, was change the oil, brake fluid (due to adding braided lines) , tires, add gas, and lube the chain in 30,000 miles.

• Member Contributer

Both 5th & 6th Gen VFR's have excellent headlamps as standard. I think there may be some differences "over there" from "over here" though...I'm sure someone will come along and confirm this.

What are your thoughts on the headlights, are they bright enough?

The 6gen is said to be one of the best stock headlights for illumination for unless it's a GoldWing.

Both 5th & 6th Gen VFR's have excellent headlamps as standard. I think there may be some differences "over there" from "over here" though...I'm sure someone will come along and confirm this.

I think we are limited to 55/60 (H/L) ........ What's yours ?

• Member Contributer

What are your thoughts on the headlights, are they bright enough?

Am I missing something? Did he change the headlights at all?

It doesn't reallly get much better than stock headlights on 6th Gen VFR's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have the '02 VTEC and the headlights as far as I know have never been changed. I'm the 3rd owner. The headlights on my are great, especially the Highbeams! Their blinding bright!

Archived