My VF500 rebuild

GazVF500

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So today was a milestone day in the project so far - it lives!!

Spent the morning refitting the exhaust, cooling system and the rear suspension (exhaust installation was far easier without the swingarm in), and some parts that the powder coating fairy delivered this week. Then hooked it up to the CX with some jump leads, and it fired up straight away! Result!

Anyway, here's a short video of it running!

th_20121110134623.jpg

It sounds much more tappety in the video than it did in person, and the exhaust had some more bass than the video suggests, there is some "chuffing" noise because I had the breather port on the rear head open. I was impressed that even with the straight through Micron can it wasn't too loud at all, but then it was only idling on the driveway.

Will check the valve clearances again before it gets ridden, and must balance the carbs as well because they're quite obviously out by the way the idle hangs, but I was impressed that it started first try and ran well with no leaks or problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for you 1st Gen gurus, I've had to drain the cooling system to fix a small radiator leak around the lower hose pipe, which I've now done with some careful soldering. I managed to rig up a test system to pressure test the radiator to 20psi, which it has held for a couple of hours now.

While dismantling, I noticed that the thermostat is actually slightly loose in the housing, and rattles. Now, this is the thermostat that came with the bike, and I've no idea if it's genuine Honda or not.

Is that correct, or do I need a different 'stat? If so, does anyone know where I can get one cheaper than £36.50 + VAT from Honda? Does it also fit a Civic or similar, like the one in the CX?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Will check the valve clearances again before it gets ridden, and must balance the carbs as well because they're quite obviously out by the way the idle hangs, but I was impressed that it started first try and ran well with no leaks or problems.

Congrats!

+1 on setting the valve lash & synchronizing the carbs. Should quiet things down quite a bit.

Looking forward to reading the first test flight report!

Congrats!

+1 on setting the valve lash & synchronizing the carbs. Should quiet things down quite a bit.

Looking forward to reading the first test flight report!

Thanks! My Clymer manual says the valve clearances for the '86 were 0.001" wider than the other years, so I set them to the 0.006". Is that correct?

• Member Contributer

Thanks! My Clymer manual says the valve clearances for the '86 were 0.001" wider than the other years, so I set them to the 0.006". Is that correct?

Egads! A Clymer? ;-)

I don't own an '86 FSM but believe both the intake and exhaust are .15mm. For reference these are .12 and .13 respectively on the '84/'85.

Egads! A Clymer? ;-)

I don't own an '86 FSM but believe both the intake and exhaust are .15mm. For reference these are .12 and .13 respectively on the '84/'85.

For the '86, my FSM states 0.15mm (0.005") for both intake and exhaust, cold engine.

Yes, very sorry for swearing on the forum, guys (C***er). Maybe Santa will bring me the official '86 FSM for Christmas!
OK, looks like I need to go round and tighten the clearances slightly. Not a big problem while the bike is in this stage of build. At least I know it runs.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

• 1 month later...

Since I'm off work until the 7th January, I'm trying to make the most of the Christmas/New Year holidays.

So I've been busy doing (and re-doing in some cases) the bodywork for the bike. It's been unusually mild here (9-10ºC) for January, which helps a lot!

Finally got the tank done in the 3 colours of base coat:-

DSC04682_zps22999614.jpg

And the fairing lowers and rear panel too:-

DSC04683_zps7189cb37.jpg

There's no clear on them yet, hope to do that today and tomorrow, then I can finally tick the paintwork off my to-do list!

My chain and sprockets arrived this week too, so am finally getting all the bits and pieces to put the bike together! Major parts left to acquire are brake lines and footpeg components.

Thanks! I have no air fed mask or other breathing equipment so will stick to 1k clearcoat. I'm not risking it with 2k. Means I'll have to be a little careful with getting fuel on it but it'll do for now.

I can see all the imperfections, it's by no means mint as I'm doing the paint work in my garage, but it will be fine for now.

• Member Contributer

Just a quick note on valve clearance setting. I always used a flat blade screw driver to cantilever on the engine case with the flat tip under the center of the Y between the tappets. That way there is no rocking of the forked rocker arm so no flex wear on its bearing !

Great rebuild, I miss my old 500, I did the F2 wheels to & used a 130/90 rear tyre to compensate for the reduced ride height !

Can't wait to see it finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ICs! I have the OEM yellow-handled adjuster tool, and a suitable spanner for the locknuts. I think the adjuster tool is the cheapest Honda "special tool" you can buy - it was something like £1.98 direct from Honda when I got mine.

So yes, I've re-done the valve clearances as per your post, but have not had the bike running since. Been busy the last few weekends, and need to get some more welding gas so I can finish the exhaust and put her back together.

That head looks very clean - where's the rest of your bike! :-)

• Member Contributer
That head looks very clean - where's the rest of your bike! :-)

Photos taken on a spare set of heads - a prerequisite for owning a VF500F ;-)

Looking forward to seeing your bike come together - it's going to be the bee's knees!

Gas the gap on the valves is 6 thou on the interceptor 1986 from the fsm manual

Ps where did you get the Honda stickers on the tank ? I couldnt find any in the uk

Cheers

Chris

Gas the gap on the valves is 6 thou on the interceptor 1986 from the fsm manual

Ps where did you get the Honda stickers on the tank ? I couldnt find any in the uk

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

A friend of mine who does that kind of thing for a living made me a full bike set of decals. PM me if you'd like me to find out if he can do more. I'm sure he can, as I stuffed up the first set of tank decals I had, and had to get replacements.

Archived