My VF500 rebuild

GazVF500

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm nearly finished with the build (will provide some pictures when it stops snowing and I can get the bike outside). Only got a couple of things left to do, fit seat cover, battery, bodywork and screen, and bleed the brakes. Then it'll be MOT (UK yearly inspection) and Road Tax time, and time to see how it rides!

So I need to assemble the fuel tap to the tank, and my filter gauze has broken. It's item 3 on this picture (P/N 16952-MF2-880 or 16952-MM5-005), usually orange plastic.

honda-vf500f-500-interceptor-1986-usa-fu

Can anyone help?

Already checked DS and CMSNL. DS UK does not have any in stock, but DS USA does. Problem is. if I want to order from DS US directly, I have to get approval from Honda UK, as apparently they are not authorized to sell the parts outisde the US without mother Honda's permission!

ICs, that's interesting, your '84/'85 tap is much different to the '86 that I have.

• Member Contributer

Check other hondas from around the same time, they most likely have the exact same part, but Honda like many manufacturers, seem to use a different part number for each bike ! Mental IMO.

Actually, looks like DS UK can get me one, so have ordered from there.

Many thanks to everyone (almost) involved!! Good to know that there are plenty of helpful folks on this forum!

• 1 month later...

Been busy putting the final pieces of the puzzle together this weekend. Balanced the carbs again, but I need to get a 4-way balancer - so far I've made do with a 2-carb balancer and comparing all the cylinders to the master.

DSC04749.jpg

DSC04747.jpg

The bike has it's MOT (annual inspection) booked for this Friday, so hopefully everything will go OK!

Are they gonna freak out about the non-standard exhaust, or is that an E-legal can???

They've recently changed the rules here, the can no longer has to be E-marked, it just cannot say "NOT FOR ROAD USE" on it, which this one doesn't. Noise levels are at the "tester's discretion".

Good to see clearly written concise guidelines being put into use, eh?

If it is judged to be too loud (by them or me) I'll get one of those dB killers for it, or make one from some plate and tube.

It's not offensively loud - you know it's running but there are a couple of cars near my house that are much louder than it.

Thanks guys, there are a lot of nice comments coming from some people with some great bikes, so that means a lot.

Got the screen fitted tonight, but of a squeeze but it's on now.

Hopefully will borrow a heavy-duty staplegun from a guy at work tomorrow, and can then cover the seat.

• Member Contributer

Great thread, and wonderful work you're doing.

It almost makes me want my old 1st gen back. ....almost.

My '86 VF500 was missing that Fuel Tube "sock" and I was unable to order one. I also ended up unscrewing the bottom of the Petcock and uncovered a TON of rust bits. I then ended up rebuilding the petcock and installing in-line fuel filters.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. :cheerleader:

Have had the chance to put a few miles on the ol' girl now, and am very pleased with how it's riding on the whole. The engine is very smooth, much smoother than the twin in the CX! It's like an electric motor in comparison.

However, I think the exhaust has sent the mixture very lean. It seems happy up to 50% throttle, but trying to open up further than that at 5000RPM and above there was a big hesitation - so I didn't try it again!

Currently it's on the stock jetting, on the '86 30mm carbs.

So I have a couple of questions -

• Does anyone have any recommendations as to jetting I should be using?
  • Do the symptoms I've described relate to main jets only or will the needles be wrong too?

Obviously I know I need to get it on a dyno and plan to ASAP, (there's a Dynojet centre right down the road from where I work), however I'd like to try and get it a bit closer now to try and avoid having the carbs on and off loads of times.

Any help greatly appreciated as usual, guys!

Yes, that's definitely helpful!

So if I'm on 90s all round, that would definitely be too lean at WOT. I'm on the VD41As from the European market VF500F2F, if it helps for reference.

I'm confused about the needle clip position mention, though, as the needles I have (3JV stock needles) don't have any provision to change their installed height. Could I use some small washers to lift them? Does that only apply to the aftermarket needles?

222f746f-c068-4793-8027-c81f9c97971e.jpg

Archived