Too Hot to Handle....Heated Grip Controller Needed

Oh6PearlVFR

• Member Contributer

Hey guys - tis the season to crank up the hot grips and seat. I don't have a controller on mine and the temperature is too hot.

Lockitt and Gerbing make controller modules but they price up into replacing the whole set alltogether and putting new ones on.

Have any of you retro fitted your grips with a controller and if so, how or what did you use?

Thanks for any input

I installed the aerostich temp controller.... many controllers drop some voltage through a resistor and dump heat somewhere other than the grip. The aerostich controller cycles power on and off to the grips. It controls the temp by changing the length of the pulses.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-heated-handgrip-thermostat.html

187_1a.jpg

I use the heated grips troller from Lockitt.com with my Oxford grips. You can get the control in a surface mount or panel mount configuration and it is infinitely adjustable.

• Member Contributer

I installed the aerostich temp controller.... many controllers drop some voltage through a resistor and dump heat somewhere other than the grip. The aerostich controller cycles power on and off to the grips. It controls the temp by changing the length of the pulses.

I'm not sure if I really like the idea of pulsing the power. That was actually the source of the failure of a major component back at my last internship.

I was searching for the same thing a few weeks back and kept the links to the websites. I found the same sites mentioned earlier as well as the warm and safe website for this same item. All of them appear to be made by the same manufacturer. If they all work the same then the only diffrence is price and Lockitt seems to have the lower price, you just have to find out the shipping charge.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure if I really like the idea of pulsing the power. That was actually the source of the failure of a major component back at my last internship.

Warm 'n Safe has been making Heat Trollers for over 15 years. I have owned various versions of Heat Troller since the mid-1990s--I've never heard of a failure, but maybe I wouldn't have anyway. The proprietor, Mike Coan, has always treated me right. I'm pleased he's got his latest controllers even more widely distributed than before. There was a difficult period several years ago when certain of his big customers (cough--Gerbing--cough--Harley Davidson--cough) decided to buy Chinese knock-offs of his design, rather than the original from him, but it appears that he persevered, improved his designs and left them in the dust... :smile:

Buy the original, American designed and manufactured product, if that means anything to you!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

There is an easy solution to controlling the heat. If using a large resistor to burn off excess heat goes against your religion, as is the case with me, and if complex controllers are too much, buy yourself some Symtec grips.

They contain two separate heating elements - High and low power and come with a simple toggle switch.

Problem solved.

I used to have Symtecs on my old bike and bought a set of cheaper ones for the new one. Well, it turned out that there was a reason why they were cheap. Single heating element controlled with a big ass resistor.

Archived