Ventura or other soft bags

Guest 172Driver

Guest 172Driver

Hey everybody!

I don't post here very often but I find I'm in need of experienced Viffer owners!!!

I need to replace my soft bags. My current bags (Cheapo model, Roadtec or something) have taken their final trip this past season! So, because I'm not spending a small fortune on OEM Honda hard bags but still want something good, that will last and won't infuriate me to use/access/mount I've been considering a Ventura tail bag. I also like the way they mount onto the bolts for the passenger handles and the bags is quick on and off.

I'm considering either the Euro-Rally (square) or the Aero Spada bags and of course the rack system.

I travel light, as in everything in the soft bags and daily stuff like cameras, wallet, phone, maps, ets in my tankbag.

Question is: does anybody have any comments about these products.... NZ is a long way from Canada so I can't go check them out!!!

Any comments about fitment, ease of use, QUALITY, past experience.... pretty much anything you have to say about Ventura I want to hear.

Oh yeah, Its a 2007 Anniversary VFR800.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

• Member Contributer

Used extensively here in Oz. And commonly used on VFR's of all descriptions so no trouble getting a bolt on set up.

Bags aren't fully waterproof as the old Gearsack bags were, but look a whole lot better.

Racks look spindly but are very strong and will hold two of the Ventura bags zipped together fully loaded to the stage where they are difficult to lift.

The small bolts holding the rack to the frame have a tendency to get lost so some Loctite is worthwhile.

Not all of their bags can be zipped together so if that is a future option make sure you get the types that do.

If not carrying a pillion, a single bag can be mounted forward of the rack hovering over the seat which keeps weight inboard a little. Throwover panniers can still be used.

A good product. I think if you buy direct from NZ you get less restrictive sales options than we suffer here e.g. can't buy a bag without a rack or vice versa etc.

• Member Contributer

I have used the Ventura system on multiple bikes for a dozen years at least. The racks are easy to bolt on the bike when going for a trip and come off just as easy, 5 minutes tops. Bags go off and on in seconds and stay put. Really I have no complaints and will keep using the system. New bike? Just buy the racks which go for around 100 bucks and your good to go. Highly recommended.

• Member Contributer

Been using the Ventura system on my bike for many years. Excellent outfit. Rack is sturdy, versatile, easy to use and can be mounted forward or backward. When I go on trips I pack the sport rack and sport bag so if I am staying at one place for several days, I can quickly switch out to the small rack and bag. Since the bags sit behind you there is less aero drag. The rain cover that comes with the Aero Spada bags works well.

I have the Ventura Aero Spada system and the smaller sport bag for my '02 VFR. They work great and have held up well. Like any soft bag you can not lock things up. Always use the special tool to tighten screws to the lock the rack to the supports. They look like they can be finger tightened but will come loose if not torqued tight with tool. The build quality and durability are excellent. The finish and appearance is good but not excellent. I would recommend them to others.

Later I got a set of used Honda hard bags. As much as I like the Ventura the hard bags are way better. Secure, waterproof, weight down low, ease of use, capacity, I like I can lock my helmets in them. If I was to do it again I would get the hard bags. Although my situation was I used them a lot, 87k miles on the VFR, numerous multi day trips, touring all over the west coast. I got more than my moneys worth out of them.

If I was not into serious touring I would get the Ventura.

+1 on the Aero Spada. I have the two that zip together making 64+ litres of luggage space and I am more than happy with them. I looked at the expandable 'rally' one and found that it would be great for capacity but terrible when it comes to looks on the bike. My wife bless her little cotton socks got the rally expandable bag but I decided to return it based on the looks when mounted to the bike.

I don't have hard bags so I cannot comment. But I've found removal of the Ventura bag simple, easy and quick when needed.

Good luck - Millsy

• Member Contributer

I have a Ventura rack (now replaced with a top box) but I used the Hustler brand of bags which also fit it. My Hustler bag lasted a good ten years without letting a drop of water inside, although in severe weather I did use the shower cap provided with it.

I use the Ventura system on both my Interceptor and Hayabusa. I love it--here's a couple of pics--one with it on the Honda with hard bags (sorry not too good of a pic) and one on the "Busa. I say try it--you'll like it!

post-19840-0-07527300-1322653151.jpg

post-19840-0-69464100-1322653172.jpg

• Member Contributer

The small bolts holding the rack to the frame have a tendency to get lost so some Loctite is worthwhile.

Had one for the 4th and 5th gen. On a trip with the 4th gen, the rack fell off because the screws backed out on the last leg. Forget loctite, drill the hole through so it goes through both tubes.

If you're considering saddle bags, I've been happy with my nelson rigg silver streak deluxe bags. Haven't burnt on the exhaust and plenty of space.

Amazing guys! I was expecting it to take a month to get a few replies to this.... Thank you all very much!

It looks like my mind is made up.... I'll be ordering my bags soon over the winter.

Cheers,

Danny

I have Nelson Rigg CL-850 saddle bags for $80 shipped if you want them. I used them for one trip, plenty of space. Only reason I am getting rid of them is because they won't work with my current bike, and F4i, because the bags are too large and sit on my exhaust can. You will need to build a support or something to make sure the bags don't interfere with your tire.. Just an offer if you want to stick with inexpensive soft bags. I really like these, but am sad they are too big for my F4i.

Someone mad a thread talking about their custom support with their Nelson Rigg CL-850 bags, and it's exactly what I did.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/42484-my-saddlebag-solution-100

Message me if you want the bags for $80 shipped.

I currently use the Ventura sport rack on my 5th gen and also had their rack on my 4th gen. Never owned Ventura luggage, as I make due with RKA saddlebags and a MotoFizz seat bag.

Lots of miles on both racks without any issues.

• 3 months later...

I'm just back from two weeks two-up touring up and down NZ, and have used a Ventura Euro Rally rack pack, a pair of Moto Dry soft panniers, and Oxford magnetic tank bag, on our 96 VFR 750F (4th gen I think). Struck every degree of weather imaginable. The bungee-on covers for panniers flailed themselves to bits and showed the bags to not be water tight (but hey, they never claimed to be. Thank goodness for plastic trash bags as liners). The tank bag came with a storm cover and was great, but never really tested, as is protected by fairing. Ventura rack bag was brilliant. All the bags have double zip closers, so went to fishing store and had a metal "trace" made with "eyes" at both ends so with a bunch of small keyed-alike padlocks, I could achieve low-level security for bags and helmets whilst leaving bike temporarily. Fully loaded the Euro Rally bag is about the same size as the torso of a big fat guy, so purchased a fluoro vest to zip over the bag, just for that extra degree of visibility from behind. Not that it mattered, the roads were really very good, and the only vehicles that approached from behind were other moto bikes, ha ha ha. Seriously tho, the visibility issue is very real as I certainly didnt fancy being rear-ended in a queue at an intersection.

• 3 weeks later...

Can somebody supply me a closeup pics of the venture bags and the honda hard bags? Trying to help a friend prepare for his first trip cross country. Was gonna buy this bag and rack as a surprise gift!

Archived