maybe a stupid question....but...

Guest Corry

Looking at getting (a) stand(s). I hit a pothole saturday, and bent my front rim. So the stupid question is, do you need a front and rear stand? I've seen people just using the pitbull into the center stant mount, but I guess this is just too obvious, either its obvious you can't, or its obvious you can. Nope, never got around to doing a track day, so no, I havn't seen the obvious answer :)

Thanks!

For anyone who cares, I tried to find the pothole again with my truck....I found it, but not with my eyes. Hit it with the truck again (I think its the same one anyways). Pretty tough to see..495 south just south of 66 right before the lanes shift a second time for the bridge work

Looking at getting (a) stand(s). I hit a pothole saturday, and bent my front rim. So the stupid question is, do you need a front and rear stand? I've seen people just using the pitbull into the center stant mount, but I guess this is just too obvious, either its obvious you can't, or its obvious you can. Nope, never got around to doing a track day, so no, I havn't seen the obvious answer :)

Thanks!

For anyone who cares, I tried to find the pothole again with my truck....I found it, but not with my eyes. Hit it with the truck again (I think its the same one anyways). Pretty tough to see..495 south just south of 66 right before the lanes shift a second time for the bridge work

If you call it in, and give them a location, they'll fix it.(The hole, that is)

Well, the truck is fine....I was obviously going slower since I was looking for it, and since F150 tires absorb just a wee bit more shock than motorcycle tires....

Anyhow, got the answer to the stupi question? :)

Hmmm rereadwhat I wrote. brain got ahead of the hands, I've seen just the rear stand, but not just the front stand. Can you use just a front stand...I must be having an (l)user moment becaue I can't seem to get relevant google results...I dislike asking stealers any questions...

• Member Contributer

Hmmm rereadwhat I wrote. brain got ahead of the hands, I've seen just the rear stand, but not just the front stand. Can you use just a front stand...I must be having an (l)user moment becaue I can't seem to get relevant google results...I dislike asking stealers any questions...

Can you use just a front stand for what? Getting your bent front rim off?

Pretty much the first Google result for "VFR1200 front stand:"

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/66440-vfr1200-tire-change-writeup/

I had hoped people on here would be faster...I even kept my question short, prefaced it with it should be obvious, and I know it was stupid...Through 3 hours of tweaking search terms, yeah, I got the answer, though I'm still not 100% convinced on the reasons, but I'll give in and not risk it. No, you cannot use just a front stand alone. Need the rear stand if you want to use the front stand, no chance of getting away cheap.

Prior to the VFR, I had a Ninja ZX11 with a center stand....and though I really liked the bike, I got it used, after having been down, so its not like everything was in the greatest of condition anyways, so when it came time to rebuild the forks, I just used the center stand and some rather carefully placed 2x4s (placed by myself sitting up on the passanger seat rocking it back with my feet...I felt really aquidly)

Anyhow, I'll make sure not to ask you guys anything ekse difficult to get a google result on, at least, difficult for someone with an engineering/math mindset anymore, I'll be sure to keep it all strictly technical and vfr specific, if I bother posting on here again with this wonderfully warm welcome....

• Member Contributer

C'mon. It really is not that complicated, and no one was intentionally being rude, myself included.

In the thread I linked to, not only does HS use a front stand by itself, he also lists the drawbacks of that and alternative ways of doing it, including the centerstand/jacking-up-the-headers method which it sounds like you have used before on another bike. I've done this several times on my 6th-gen, and I'm sure others have as well. Putting 2x4s underneath a bike may seem backwoods, but sometimes simpler really is just better.

My recommendation is to just get the OEM centerstand because you can use it for either end of the bike. Or, for a quicker, cheaper fix, just do the front stand method as long as you know the potential interference.

You can use just the center stand (or Pit Bull stand in the rear / center spot) but you'll need to make sure it won't move, and use something to pull the rear of the bike down; this is how I changed my front tire before I got my front stand. The problem with using just a rear stand is that to put enough pressure on the rear to elevate the front, the bike will want to slide backwards (hence having a way to secure the stand in one place).

Obviously, it's easier if you have both. I have the front and rear Pit Bull stands (for the same price as the Honda center stand, by the way). ...but you must use the rear stand in order to use the front stand.

If you were nearby I'd happily loan you mine, but VA is a long way from CA! ...best of luck getting your wheel repaired!

I highly recommend the Pit Bull stands; they really are the best and the Pit Bull stand does NOT interfere with any of the bike's parts. ...if you order a front stand, you need the stand with the "standard offset" pin, and they make a VFR1200 specific rear stand.

Myself, not having a 7Gen, I couldn't answer your question about the stand. But, since you brought in the pot hole being on a road you use, I felt it may be helpful for you to know our State has a fix in place.

I and others usually reply to what we know, and any subject is usually picked apart for the sake of us all learning from it, so if possible we can cut down on the same thing happening again.

Hopefully you'll hang around with us and see we're just try to help each other. Not all peeps are poets :beer:

• Member Contributer

WTF? you joined today, ask a question and are miffed when the answer doesnot come in a few hours?

You donot introduce yourself, donot bother to get a feel of the place, give sarcastic remarks to us....

have a great life sir.....

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Good day to you! Bravo! This is the time of instant gratification. But being honest and saying what you want never goes out of fashion ? Ditto what he said above!!

• Member Contributer

Wow...

Sounds like some teenagers I know...

Hope he gets his problem solved anyhow.

Archived