Gyro Camera (mount)??

VietHorse

Searching from VFRD and other market website but unable to find that.

Let's take a look on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOt78MB5vM&feature=share

The camera seems stable and horizontal all the time.

Anyone knows what type of the camera or camera mounting kit which could help the video looks like taken from a gyro-cam? And where to buy it?

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

Those have been around for awhile but doesn't appear to have hit the consumer market just yet.

There are some available for sailboats by HorizonTrue but they may be a bit over-built for motorcycles not to mention very pricey.

8292946.jpg?162?567171

• 2 weeks later...

So I had to build one. I think this would work great at sailboat speeds, but the cornering loads on a motorcycle are going to throw the balancing weight out and have the camera leaning into the turn also. (I suspect) I have not used it yet. I'll try to get out this weekend and test.

Ideally, the balancing weight would be set at the point so the center of mass of the camera/weight system is at the center of the shaft. Then the counter weight would not be thrown out and the whole thing would pivot about the axle. But with seals in the bearing I have too much stiction for it to work this way. I may knock out the seals and wash out the grease for super low friction, then play some more.

I use a RAM ball system so that is what mount I have on the bearing housing. I do not have any damping other than the grease in the bearings. I just wanted to knock something out quick to play around with.

• Member Contributer

Very cool Lee! Glad to see someone jumping in with a little R&D. Can't wait to see a test video.

I've had this design in mind for a while but I haven't had time to cobble something together not to mention I'm hopeless when it comes to welding aluminum.

CameraMount.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great ideas folks!

I would suppose you guys need to consider "very heavy" balancing weight in comparison with the camera's weight so it makes the camera stays with less unwanted movement.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

(so the outcomes should not so much expensive huh!)

I don't see where the wt.(gravity)is going to overcome the centrifugal force of the turn, what I'm seeing is the wt will stay inline with the bike, to no avail??????

I believe those options work well.

The dutchinterceptor's idea may face with friction issue as there are three contact points (at the three wheels) and there are not much room for you to put the balancing weight.

The option from lee 2002 simpler and it seems more realiable. Just need to make the proper mount (instead of your hand), sufficient balancing weight, and the distance from the weight to the bearing must very much longer than the distance from the camera to the bearing.

Greasing/applying lub oil well to bearing prior to ride :tour:

I'll try to get out this weekend for a daytime pleasure ride....

But, like I said,

the cornering loads on a motorcycle are going to throw the balancing weight out and have the camera leaning into the turn also.

Ideally, the balancing weight would be set at the point so the center of mass of the camera/weight system is at the center of the shaft. Then the counter weight would not be thrown out and the whole thing would pivot about the axle.

But, if the center of mass of the camera/weight system is truly centered on the shaft then the system is just as likely to be happy upside down or sideways or any other clock position. So, in order to keep the camera upright the bias has to be toward the weight.... which means that the weight will swing out in a corner and tilt the camera with the motorcycle.

I suspect that the video posted at the top from Moto GP is some form of a true gyroscopic or powered self leveling mount.

Still, I'll try to mount it up and get out for a ride this weekend.

Ideally, the balancing weight would be set at the point so the center of mass of the camera/weight system is at the center of the shaft. Then the counter weight would not be thrown out and the whole thing would pivot about the axle.

@Lee 2002

Choose a very mini/compact camera for mounting would be gud.

You can make the adjustment weight as per my below drawing for easier balancing:

GyroCam.jpg

(C.O.C: Center of Gravity)

See the video, that's what I built. Instead of an adjustment balance weight, I have a slotted camera mount so that I can move the camera center of mass to center. That is why the camera appears to be mounted way off to the side.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem, .... 80% of my riding is in the pitch black of night. I have not tested it yet.

There is a prospect of a sunlit ride this weekend as a VFRD member will be coming to my area from out of state to ride the Flint Hills of Kansas (yes, we have some roads that are worth visiting, OK, two that are worth visiting) If schedules work out I will try to join up with him for a ride.

I have no doubt that it would work well to keep a level horizion for a rolling watercraft. I'm sure that cornering watercraft will cause the camera to lean just as I expect it to do on my test ride.

Got your point.

Hope there would not many holes would be made... hehe...

Speaking of holes, keep your eyes to the sky tomorrow, there's a bus size satellite falling, and your Country is in the path(they don't know where it going to hit though).

So to keep on subject, if you find it look for some gyro's in the mess(but I hope it doesn't hit peeps or property).

• Member Contributer

GoPro makes a chest mount very well would could have been that, I've seen videos from skiers and snowboarders that are just as smooth.

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/chest-mount-harness/

• 4 weeks later...

OK. I finally got out today for some pleasure riding.....

The self leveling camera mount leans into the corners with me... It does not keep level due to the pendulum. Any mount that uses weights to keep the camera upright will lean into the turn.

Unless a true gyro is used there will always have to be some amount of weight imbalance to keep the camera upright.

Cloverleaf @ 5:45

• Member Contributer

Oooh wow! Rock and roll! Lee, thanks for the R&D.

Ok that pretty much sums it up but what about more resistance, more weight, and move the weight closer to the pivot point so less chance of the pendulum action?

I can balance the whole unit about the pivot point using the weight...... Example: the camera will balance upright, sideways, upside down or wherever I position it. With it in that state, the camera would maintain level (or whatever position it started in) with frictionless bearings. I don't have frictionless bearings, (and damping would add more friction) so each turn would have the camera rotating some amount with the turn.

In reality, with center of mass about the pivot point, the camera would be just as happy upside-down or sideways or wherever it happened to be placed. The wind would have it spinning like a windmill. We need the pendulum to keep the picture right-side-up... but that same pendulum kills us in the turns by swinging out and leaning into the turn with the bike.

We need a true gyro... Spinning mass that resists motion.

I'm of the opinion that the "gyro stabilized" video that we're seeing on TV is electronically generated.

My opinion and thoughts below:

I believe that the camera is solidly mounted and has a field of view of (for example) 1000 pixels. Inside, the camera has a bank angle sensor that encodes it's reading into the video transmission. At the control center a computer samples the middle 800 pixels and rotates it to level based on the encoded signal from the bank angle sensor. By sampling only a portion of the entire video feed they are able to avoid the corners of the video being trunicated when the video is rotated.

We really need Larry to take some up close photos of the video cameras at the next MotoGP he attends. I suspect the level camera shot in MotoGp is electronically generated, not mechanically rotated. I suspect that the level camera shot in the OP's video in post #1 is a tank mounted gyro (spinning mass) due to it being mounted on the tank where there is plenty of room to swing and rotate.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure you're correct about the stabilization being computer controlled. Smart Phone technology seems to be there already. Brief glimpses of the cameras on the bikes show them to be quite small. Too small for any typical gyro. Larry, get your tape measure ready.

Ran across this shot while searching for gyros. Maybe you could get this guy to ride with you . :laugh:

564_photo.jpg

Archived