Gyro Camera (mount)??

VietHorse

You couldn't tell from the video..... .but after Dad waved he hopped onto the back, shorts, T-shirt, and Crocks and held the camera for the remainder of the ride. The whole self-leveling mount thing was just a joke.... Dad's not too steady these days.

It's really great, Lee. You have materialized the idea and found out the issues.

I haven't turned to the practices yet as I don't have my workshop and also not much time for it.

---------------

Just saw on youtube, the guy did not use a Gyro-cam, but the final video still has the "gyro effect" - all he need is the software and time to mod the video. See the video and also his description below:

• 6 months later...

Long time... almost forget the Gyro-Cam idea, until getting to see it again on latest race:

_DSC1900-1.jpg

On board Álvaro Bautista:

_DSC1898-1.jpg

Really cool...........

(photos taken from my TV)

Search for gyro camera stabilizers for model helicopters and airplanes. There are some DIY plans using a helicopter gyro circuit to run a servo, and even complete systems. I was looking into this myself as I was interested in doing something similar to the self leveling light BMW was coming out with on one of their motorcycles.

Check out this guys setup. It's similar to using a helicopter gyro to control a servo, though I think he may be using a custom programmable gyro as he mentions editing the code a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/user/aquinasv

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I just bought a Feiyu G4, this is a quick test of me running around a car park with no attempt made to keep it steady (it looks sped up but I assure you, it's not):

http://a.pomf.se/mjukoh.webm

The residual shaking is due to lateral and vertical translation, which the gyro cannot fully compensate for. Much better results can be achieved by trying to move smoothly. I'm taking it to Europe at the end of this month and have ordered a 3D printed clamp so it can be used directly with gopro mounts. The main disadvantage is that there's no waterproofing but it shouldn't be hard with some planning to place mounts that allow decent placement of both the waterpoof case and the gyro.

This guy is making them and selling them through a German race team:

https://www.facebook.com/MotorradGyrocam

I think they run in the $200-$300 range. They use the same technology as the quad rotor folks are using these days (gyros + accelerometers + gimbal motor)

For a DIY approach, here's some stuff I worked on a few years ago:

http://revenanteagle.org/checksix/gopro-gyrocam/

• Member Contributer

My buddy from college (www.kenyon.edu) is a talking head on the TV in Atlanta and uses this (G3 Ultra) to stabilize shots with his HD go-pro. He also uses UAV's as well...

I got a demo of the G3 Ultra the weekend before last of this and it does a great job for being hand-held. Don't know how long the batteries last...

A few years later and there are quite a few options available, like these:

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome!

Waiting for the pricing down a bit on the market. I forgot about this DIY for a while already as I knew that people out there working on it professionally.

Thanks for the vid, Rosso. Better if he could have a little time on a cornering motorcycle :comp13:

A few years later and there are quite a few options available, like these:

• Member Contributer

a little elbow grease and some solder and some cash for screws and plastic and you're good to go!...not bad

Archived