Ram stem mount for Garmin Nuvi 255W installed

Veefer800Canuck

gallery_554_564_1303748.jpg

IMG 0205

Getting ready for Nelson! :fing02:

After the pic was taken, I rotated the stem ball mount 90' clockwise and realigned the arm and cradle so it wasn't directly in front of the keyswitch as it was near impossible to get the key in and out. Mucho better now.

This is the one I got, it's a universal one, you have to cut the rubber to suit your diameter and use the washer and toothed nut that will just fit into the ID of the stem.

RAM-B-342

Install instructions: http://www.ram-mount.com/Portals/0/Skins/NationalProducts/pdf/ramb342uassemblyweb.pdf

18 bucks: http://cgi.ebay.com/RAM-RAM-B-342U-Ram-Motorcycle-Fork-Stem-Mount-Base-/160590916793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563f6ecb9

ram-b-342.jpg

ram-b-342-2.jpg

ram-b-342-1.jpg

I have the same setup for my Nuvi 750, but I have it mounted off the forward tank mount holes. Basically the same position as your pic, but leaves room to get the key in & out, and a view of the gauges. Still viewable with tankbag in place too. If you decide to go that route, make sure to get longer tank bolts.

• Member Contributer

I have the same setup for my Nuvi 750, but I have it mounted off the forward tank mount holes. Basically the same position as your pic, but leaves room to get the key in & out, and a view of the gauges. Still viewable with tankbag in place too. If you decide to go that route, make sure to get longer tank bolts.

Seb, do you know where to get the longer tank bolts?

• Member Contributer

McMaster Carr. I think I paid $2 for a box of 25 about 6 years ago...

• Member Contributer

I can bring a box to the catskills fall ride if people have a need. Gratis

• Member Contributer

IMG 0205

Getting ready for Nelson! :fing02:

After the pic was taken, I rotated the stem ball mount 90' clockwise and realigned the arm and cradle so it wasn't directly in front of the keyswitch as it was near impossible to get the key in and out. Mucho better now.

Nice! So, ho do you power that thing?

C

• Member Contributer

C

1) Put a Powerelet socket on your bike

27596023.jpg

(Made a small bracket and used the fairing bolt close to the frame to affix it)

2) Buy a -short- Powerlet cable (with the 90degree usb plug for Garmin)

27d037ac.jpg

Tightwad can supply you, as he did me :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I've found that GPS is much better placed on a long (4-6") RAM extension connected to the ball mount which is piggybacked on the brake (or clutch) reservoir attachment on one of the handle bars. This way it is just under the top of the windshield and allows view of instruments and access to the key. It is also not blocked by the tank bag if you have one and can be viewed w/o looking too far down.

• Member Contributer

C

1) Put a Powerelet socket on your bike

(Made a small bracket and used the fairing bolt close to the frame to affix it)

2) Buy a -short- Powerlet cable (with the 90degree usb plug for Garmin)

Tightwad can supply you, as he did me :biggrin:

Looks quite nice too Dutchy. Thanks for the info, I'll investigate. Was thinking that I should either buy a paper map or get this kind of set up before we go down to San Francisco with 3-4 other guys in September in case I get lost (I get lost in shopping malls for crying out loud!). Not sure if I'll have time to do it and may have to wait until next year.

C

• Member Contributer

IMHO a map and/or a sheet with the key junctions works fine too; done it for 23 years prior :biggrin:

Never intended to buy a bike specific GPS (main use in the car on summer holidays). But when my previous TomTom got stolen, I figured I might as well buy a waterproof/shock resitant one. Riding my bike, I like to get "lost". Use the GPS to find a petrol station or way home once truly lost :laughing6-hehe:

But I always managed in the past without....

The bigger the boys, the bigger the toys (and the larger the single malt collection..)

Looking forward to reading your group's ride adventures to SF here :fing02:

C

I have a homemade power connector under the seat made from a 12v extension cord from radio shack. Cut off the male cigarette plug, leaving the female on the other end. Spliced and soldered a fuse to the positive lead and added ring terminals to both. It's long enough to drag out from under the seat and route into the tankbag, where I can connect any 12v device with a cigarette plug. So I will attach my gps car adaptor plug, leave that in the tankbag, then just run the mini-USB end out to the gps itself and done!

Oh and I am a big paper map fan too. I get my favorite rand-McNally easyfold maps and put then in the window pocket of my tankbag. They are laminated and folded so two segments are showing, are a perfect fit.

Maps are great for the big picture, gps is great for finding exact spots nearby or navigating through big unfamiliar cities.

C

I have a homemade power connector under the seat made from a 12v extension cord from radio shack. Cut off the male cigarette plug, leaving the female on the other end. Spliced and soldered a fuse to the positive lead and added ring terminals to both. It's long enough to drag out from under the seat and route into the tankbag, where I can connect any 12v device with a cigarette plug. So I will attach my gps car adaptor plug, leave that in the tankbag, then just run the mini-USB end out to the gps itself and done!

I did something similar for mine, but it's a short pigtail that ties into the Tightwad-sourced fuse block under the seat. I just use the stock power cord, and put a wine cork in the power plug when not in use (wife's one donation to my riding habit).

I have a ball mount on the tank with a 6" RAM arm on my bike. It works great with my smaller tankbag, but not as well with the larger one I commute with

• Member Contributer

Oh and I am a big paper map fan too. I get my favorite rand-McNally easyfold maps and put then in the window pocket of my tankbag. They are laminated and folded so two segments are showing, are a perfect fit.

Maps are great for the big picture, gps is great for finding exact spots nearby or navigating through big unfamiliar cities.

And there you have it. Don't leave home without....either one :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Several good ideas here guys! I agree, paper map for the highway and gps for finding stuff around town. I am interested in home-made setups for the gps to charge it if nothing else. Will get a map soon anyway. And I am sure that the trip will be documented by Ian (BCmcrider) which will prolly be embarassing at some point... I just hope none of my students are on vfrd....

Thanks folks!

C

PS side note: first track day this Saturday. I am really excited!!!!! I just had to say it!

Archived