Cracked Staintune up ("Y") Pipe

vfrjim2002

• Member Contributer

Folks,

Major Props to Shari at CalMoto and the folks at Staintune. I have one of the original (non-T collector) Staintunes on my '02. The exhaust is about 7 years old and I recently noticed a crack (the same one many of you have had) in the up pipe adjacent to the mounting bracket. I called Shari at CM and sent her a picture of the pipe. She confirmed that the pipe was defective, but informed me that she no longer has any of those in stock. Soooo, she contacted Staintune and they set about making me a new one. MAKING ME A NEW ONE. Can you believe that? It arrived a few days ago - took about 20 minutes to do the switch and I'm back in business. Even has the updated (rubber isolated) mounting bracket. Good on ya, mates.

Jim

I like the design of the old one better, for exhaust flow. Luckily I can keep welding mine if needed; my first weld hasn't broken yet.

Did you have to send your old one back to them?

• Member Contributer

The guys at Staintune have always had good service, and if anything they will "turn up the volume" on that because our dollar is worth more than yours now and the price of Staintunes is just going to keep getting higher in the USA! Good service is one way of keeping customers!

Extreme ++1 to Shari, Cal Moto and Staintune for the customer service. I had the same crack. Removed and shipped the pipe Monday, had the replacement pipe back on the bike for a Friday ride. Excellent Service!

• Member Contributer

Jim, do you still have the picture of the crack? I'm not sure if I have the new or old style pipe, but they've been on the bike for going on 5 years now. And while we're talkin' Staintune, how 'bout some info on those spuds of yours?

• Member Contributer

I like the design of the old one better, for exhaust flow. Luckily I can keep welding mine if needed; my first weld hasn't broken yet.

Did you have to send your old one back to them?

Yes. Shari asked that I send the cracked pipe back, even sent a prepaid shipping label.

• Member Contributer

Jim, do you still have the picture of the crack? I'm not sure if I have the new or old style pipe, but they've been on the bike for going on 5 years now. And while we're talkin' Staintune, how 'bout some info on those spuds of yours?

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure which spuds you're talking about. I have two sizes. I usually run the large bore set.

I've attached a pic of the crack.

The old brackets mount the pipe solidly to the frame. The new style has a ring/grommet/insert arrangement to isolate the pipe from the frame to keep the vibes from cracking it. I'll take a pic of the mount tomorrow.

post-603-0-38962600-1312081173_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-33921400-1312080727_thumb.jpg

Jim

Archived