New to Forums (And VFR's) Making a purchase

Guest WAGIGKPN

Guest WAGIGKPN

Hello all.

Well let me get to it, i live in the Gig Harbor area of Western Washington State. i am 6'7'' 275lbs. Grew up riding dirt bikes and playing sports. My first road bike was a sweet 2006 Honda XR 650 L Dual Sport. Lots of goodies on that. Bought for 3k...rode for a year and sold for 3.5k. So i consider that a success. I thought that was my dream bike but commuting sucked. one 649cc piston is not smooth at all! it just didnt do well on the road. I knew i needed something with more protection from the elements and with a smooth ride. I really like the look of sport bikes but not when a 6'7'' 275 lb guy is on them. Finally, after googling "best sport bike for tall people" i found the VFR. (Bonus is that its Honda!). I thought it would be easy to get a used one on CL but i was sooo wrong....I ran into the Gen 5 vs Gen 6 problem. so after spending many hours/days of my life pouring over arguments i made up my mind. Gen 5 it is....then changed it...again....and again...lol.

my riding style is:

I ride 24 miles to and from work. i can either take the highway or twisties and its the exact same time difference! also want to go on some longer trips and maybe take the wife with me...

I finally found two bikes in my area priced the same to choose from.

Bike A:

2002 VFR800 38k miles, Red. recent service in Feb having CCT replaced. $3,500 Firm.

Various upgrades include:

- Sargeant Seat

- Givi Windscreen

- Helibars

- Two Brother Exhaust

- OEM Hardbags ( one remaining, the other is damaged)

Reason Selling, owner bought new, bigger bike.

Type of use, second owner, commuted 20miles to work everyday.

Bike B: 2000 VFR800 31k miles, Yellow. new tabs. listed $3,600 OBO

bike has a ton of extras: RaceTech fork springs, Penske Shock with remote reservoir, Micron high mount carbon exhaust, Sargent seat, Helibars, heated grips, Givi touring windscreen, double bubble sport wind screen, Pazzo shorty levers, braided steel brake and clutch lines, stainless steel fender eliminator kit, carbon fiber hugger and Givi racks for top box and side cases. [/b]The cases are not included[/b]. Included is the Honda shop manual, two extra new oil filters and any of the original parts I have laying around.

Reason selling: bought a new bike/Divorce

Type of use: original owner. not specified if commuter or pleasure.

Both are good cosmetically with a few scratches but nothing major...

I am going with the 2002 because:

1. its got the main upgrades i want (taller wind screen, seat, exhaust, one and a half hard bags)

2. its a gen 6 so it has the under tail exhaust which i like. and i like the various other positives of the Gen 6

3. its red and my wife likes red.

4. its two years newer

4.5 Gen 6 has digital instrumentation does it not?

5. the 2000 is due for Valve checkup.

Things i like about the 2000 over the 2002.

1. Gear driven Cams....Yum, really like the idea of them and can imagine the sweet sound they make. but this is superficial stuff. chain works too.

2. maint on valves easier...but honesty, how often do you need to get to the valves!!!??

3. lots of people swear by the Gen 5.

4. it has modded suspension...not sure if this is a + or not...

5. set up for Givi bags. but not included.

So finally, the question is. who agrees with my decision and who thinks i am still awesome for picking a VFR but dumb for going Gen 6? Who knows, maybe your answer will change my mind!

I'd suggest going with the 5Gen, with your weight you'll have to mod the suspension anyway(which I'm in the process of now (255lbs.). And all the other goodies that come with it.

Milage is the same between the two. I owned a '99, and now own a '08, you can get 1-200k miles more on either one.

How much does the seller weigh?

• Member Contributer

Dont be scared of the valve check. I didnt check mine till 46k and they were all in spec. Theres guys on here that have even checked theirs till 75k. Not saying you shouldnt and also not saying its something thats hard to do. It's actually easy to do your self. People just get scared when it invloves taking more than two thigs off the bike and having to read a service manual.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond, good luck on your purchase, go for the one that itches the most :fing02:

Guest WAGIGKPN

I'd suggest going with the 5Gen, with your weight you'll have to mod the suspension anyway(which I'm in the process of now (255lbs.). And all the other goodies that come with it.

Milage is the same between the two. I owned a '99, and now own a '08, you can get 1-200k miles more on either one.

How much does the seller weigh?

the previous owners of each bike are less than 200 lbs.

i did consider what your saying. if that is the case i understand there are adjustments that can be made to the stock suspension on the Gen 6's?

Also forgot to add i like the under tail exhaust because of the ease of getting the rear tire off.

• Member Contributer

Granted, I'm partial to the 5th gen, but the upgraded suspension is definitely appealing, especially for 2-up duty.

That said, the 6th gen seems to already have a few items that would also be useful (bags, windscreen and helibars).

Within the context that both owners are being up-front and that there are no hidden issues, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Welcome to the party, by the way..

Guest WAGIGKPN

Granted, I'm partial to the 5th gen, but the upgraded suspension is definitely appealing, especially for 2-up duty.

That said, the 6th gen seems to already have a few items that would also be useful (bags, windscreen and helibars).

Within the context that both owners are being up-front and that there are no hidden issues, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Welcome to the party, by the way..

Thanks.

Yeah the suspension is a plus I give u that.

I agree that it's a good choice either way. I almost just flipped a coin to decide.

Update, set up a meet to buy the 2002 tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Also forgot to add i like the under tail exhaust because of the ease of getting the rear tire off.

Either bike is probably good.

The exhaust/rear tire issue is a non-issue. Two easy to access bolts and the exhaust swings out of the way.

I have a high mount on my 5th gen, so it's really not an issue (but side cases will be when I eventually get them...)

Good luck with what ever you decide!

• Member Contributer

Either way you go, I think you'll be a winner in my book!!! Welcome to the Forums and be sure to stop back by and post some pics of which ever ya choose!!! :fing02:

Guest WAGIGKPN

Either way you go, I think you'll be a winner in my book!!! Welcome to the Forums and be sure to stop back by and post some pics of which ever ya choose!!! :fing02:

i got the 2002 vfr. took it for a ride in the rain this sunday. was a blast even tho the weather was horrible. i will get pics as soon as i can. i have to say, being 6'7'' this bike is fantastic!

• 6 months later...

i got the 2002 vfr. took it for a ride in the rain this sunday. was a blast even tho the weather was horrible. i will get pics as soon as i can. i have to say, being 6'7'' this bike is fantastic!

Post up some pics of you next to the bike. I have a buddy that's 6'8".

Archived