Bridgestone BT023?

vfral1

• Member Contributer

OK, not a 5th gen but rather a 4th. I have my first set of BT023s with about 4k on them and they are wearing better than FOUR prior types of Dunlops. I did about 3500 miles on tour last fall just prior to winter setting in and have recently pushed them hard on local twisty mountain roads since the weather has warmed and will NOT go back to the Dunlops as long as these are available. The Dunlops (207, 208, 220, and Roadsmarts) all flat-spotted much faster on continued slab runs and grip also seemed to fade on them after pushing hard into tight corners where the BT023's seem to be holding up much better and with sustained, predictable grip.

• Member Contributer

I put a set of the GTs on my 6th gen just before T-mac and loved them. Ran to the edge leaving no chicken strip and ground the ends of my pegs off with no problem.

However I do find they take a litte longer to heat up over the old BT21s, most likely because the GT version is meant for a heavier bike, so the rubber is most likely a little harder than the 21s.

Almost 4000miles on the this set, 3000 of that on the slab and almost no wear as of yet.

• Member Contributer

Aren't you already running one on the front?? http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/59841-bridgestone-bt023s/page__p__707992__fromsearch__1#entry707992

I'm on my second 023GT rear and like them just find on my 5th gen. Not the mileage I was hoping for, but I haven't had any stick issues.

Two up tourist riding, though? :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I put a set of 023s on a few weeks back and I now have exactly 2,035 miles on them as of this morning. My Saturday ride consists of an early morning run from Knoxville to Deals Gap and then another 200 to 300 miles from there. The girl has 023s on her Versys and she gets 6 to 7K out of a set a set with even wear and consistent handling for the life of the tire. We ride at a spirited pace with little to no chicken strips and we both touch hard parts on our regular runs through the dragon.

The 023s have a dual compound rear that gets warm quick and is quite sticky on the sides. The front is single compound but it also heats up quick and both feel good and gooey on the sides after a good run with the usual balls of rubber on the edges. The 023s are respectable sport tires with very good stability and very neutral turn-in. Not as quick steering as the more triangulated sport tires but plenty quick enough for street antics. I especially like their trail braking feel which is so important with all the tight, blind stuff we find here in the mountains.

Summary...Awesome tire under hard braking, especially while leaned over, and, better than average wear (based on the girl's bike), reasonably grippy for street use, and stable, predictable turn-in that feels "weighted" but not heavy. If they last 4000 miles on my 6th gen then I will use them again. If not I will stick with the Q2's or power/road2/3 combo.

KEB

The 023s have a dual compound rear that gets warm quick and is quite sticky on the sides. The front is single compound but it also heats up quick and both feel good and gooey on the sides after a good run with the usual balls of rubber on the edges. The 023s are respectable sport tires with very good stability and very neutral turn-in. Not as quick steering as the more triangulated sport tires but plenty quick enough for street antics. I especially like their trail braking feel which is so important with all the tight, blind stuff we find here in the mountains.

KEB

I'm glad you mentioned that. I noticed that it was more effort to steer, but for me that felt better. The BT021 felt like you would fall into the corner before it would catch. The 023 gives me more confidence.

• 4 weeks later...

I had 023 on my forth gen last year, I made about 6000 miles untill the tire wa falling apart , now I am wearing M1 and really I am afraid to go to a corner

Has anyone tried the BT023 on a Fifth gen yet? I need a new rear and considering it.

I had the BT23 GT rear, very good straight line traction average to above average life, closest tire to a road 2 in life , but not performance, Skiddish as all get out on the sides in tight corner, okay in high speed sweepers, I definitely wouldnt want to be on that tire in the cold rainy season. So I dont know about the front or the standard tire, with one less steel Belt. That tire was the hardest tire I ever mounted in my life, A damn Tractor tire.

Dunlop tried to increase the life over the Bt21, they did by about 20%, but sacrificed traction to do it. I mean a BT21 rear is like glue in the rain, you feel it like riding through a Glue board, super quick tire too.

I dont know why anyone would run a BT21 front, it destroys an otherwise good rear tire.

I had 023 on my forth gen last year, I made about 6000 miles untill the tire wa falling apart , now I am wearing M1 and really I am afraid to go to a corner

THat is hard to understand, what are you saying?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm on my last leg of 6K with the BT-023's. I really enjoyed them although I rode much more highway than I did twistie. The sides of the tires still looks great but the center is worn out (damn Atlanta - everything is so far apart!)

I really like the grip, they heat up pretty quick and give a lot of sticky goodness in the corners. I would reccomend them to someone riding a lot of twisties and some highway.

So - I'm kinda stuck - I want to get more life out of a tire but two arguments pop up

1. It's a sport tire so I'm thinking 6k is good enough

2. If I go to a touring tire, I don't want to give up the grip I get in a sport but I just want more mileage.

Anybody find a good compromise?

• Member Contributer

I just passed 8k on mine and I'm just above the wear bars. Much more slab than normal with these. I live close to a plethora of twisties and have done a good bit of them with no complaints on grip at all. However, I commute year 'round and I did do a big loop from CO to MT, BC, down the west coast to OR and back to CO when they were brand new. I also just completed a loop from CO west to Vegas dropping down into the Mojave in So Cal and then back thru AZ, Four Corners, and back to the Denver area. These have surpassed all previous types of tires in over all mileage and I think the warm up and grip are great. I will absolutely buy another set of these come summer time.

(All extended trips are run at an average of 80/85 mph fully loaded with tank bag/saddle bags/ and large trunk)

• Member Contributer

Has anyone tried the BT023 on a Fifth gen yet? I need a new rear and considering it.

I dont know why anyone would run a BT21 front, it destroys an otherwise good rear tire.

What do you mean by this statement?

What do you mean by this statement?

I had to go back and read the post you pulled that from, as it seemed out of context.

What it means, the (rear) BT21 is a very usable tire, better perfomance wise than the 23 rear, although the 23 does last significantly longer , buts 23 is a better touring tire , than performance from my USE of it.

The Bt21 front is a POS tire, But the BT21 rear is far better , the front destroys the BT21 package, is what Im saying. The rear is usable, but needs a Better front. I tried a 23 GT rear and it didnt offer the bt21 traction traction level, Biggest issue with 23 is on the sides, especially in cold temperature and slick road, it will slip in comparison.

Archived