Heated gear with 1 piece Roadcrafter suit

Conedodger

• Member Contributer

I'm contemplating a Roadcrafter 1 piece, but want to be able to use my heated vest with it. For those that have a Roadcrafter, how do you run the wiring for the vest? Is there a provision in the suit for it?

On the flip side of this...what is the roadcrafter like in 80+ degrees?

Thanks!

I don't own heated gear.... But there are zippers at the side of the hips that allow access to your jean's pockets. They zip open downward, so you could hang the pigtail to your heated gear out of the hip zippers the pull the zippers back up for a very tight seal. There are velcro flaps that cover the zippers at the hip also.

With the vents open and moving at highway speeds, 80°F is very comfortable. In town, not very fun. The secret to staying cool in a Roadcrafter is to always keep moving.

• Forum CEO

I ran mine out the side left pocket then used the side flap to police the wires, you can put vecro on the variable controller and smack it to the velcro strips on your left leg too - if your using one that is. When I sent my stich in for repairs for bad velcro and torn side pocket zippers I had them sew them in so that they zip down instead of up to accommidate these wires better. They come from Stich factory zip up rather then down, so any tugging on the wires loosens the zipper and eventually if you use them all the time they wear out like mine did. 60k miles on that stich!

In the Heat you can snap the bottom snap and unzip the legs a bit for ventilation, zip down the front a bit too, open the main rear vent all the way and the arm pit zippers are a life saver in heat. You will notice its like a swamp cooler and actually insulates you when the heat is too hot! Like 105 or more, you find your self zipping back up actually - just enough for venting but avoiding that blast furnace feel of riding at speed in 105F heat! People thought I was crazy riding in Green River AZ all zipped up!

• Member Contributer

I run mine out the left hip pocket just like what those other two guys said! Never seemed to leak in that spot during several rainy rides. I added a 20" extension cord so I can hook the Gerbings controller on the left chest pocket for easy access.

Lee said it best, "The secret to staying cool in a Roadcrafter is to always keep moving." A camelbak makes a huge difference also when it gets above 90.

• Member Contributer

So my question is with these suits, if you have all the vents open to tolerate the heat and then crash, how well are you protected?

• Member Contributer

So my question is with these suits, if you have all the vents open to tolerate the heat and then crash, how well are you protected?

I'm thinking you would be protected with the rear vent and arm pit vents open, but having the main zipper and leg zippers open would entail some risk.

• Member Contributer

Yeah the trick to riding in hot weather in a Stitch (I live in Florida and have a Darien so I do it all the time 90-95+ and 90%+ humidity) in summer) is to loosen the wrist, and ankle closures as well as fully opening the vents and to loosen the neck closure...you get a lot of air flow around the legs, up the sleeves and through the vents as well as a good bit down the neck onto your chest....oh and yes, keep moving as much as you can.

• Member Contributer

Yeah the trick to riding in hot weather in a Stitch (I live in Florida and have a Darien so I do it all the time 90-95+ and 90%+ humidity) in summer) is to loosen the wrist, and ankle closures as well as fully opening the vents and to loosen the neck closure...you get a lot of air flow around the legs, up the sleeves and through the vents as well as a good bit down the neck onto your chest....oh and yes, keep moving as much as you can.

Boy, I don't envy you in that kind of combo of heat and humidity! A testament to you Florida rider's loving to ride!

• Member Contributer

May I suggest a Teiz Lombard 1-piece,

I have one that I've been using daily for about 3 months and its a really great suit.

See more info here - a massive thread on ADV rider - the guys customer service is Outstanding.

Ive used it with Heated Gear from the 20's and with all vents vents open up to about 82 and felt very comfortable.

I normally use an Olympia Stealth 1-piece in the summer but looks like I wont be needing that anymore.

Good Luck with your decision!

Boy, I don't envy you in that kind of combo of heat and humidity! A testament to you Florida rider's loving to ride!

And boy, do I ever agree with you...

The OP is a friend of mine

I just started wearing a good jacket last year

There were a couple times last summer I though I was going to die of heat stroke

I give him a lot of credit for taking his gear so seriously

I think I'll ride over to his house some summer saturday in my jeans and a t-shirt just to check up on him :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

And boy, do I ever agree with you...

The OP is a friend of mine

I just started wearing a good jacket last year

There were a couple times last summer I though I was going to die of heat stroke

I give him a lot of credit for taking his gear so seriously

I think I'll ride over to his house some summer saturday in my jeans and a t-shirt just to check up on him :biggrin:

What? No shorts? :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I have never worn shorts on the bike, well, except maybe for moving it around in the driveway before I wash it :biggrin:

Wore shorts once. Rode to Letchworth Park in jeans, leather jacket, helmet, and gloves on my Nighthawk S to meet friends for a picnic. Changed to shorts after I got there. Later in the afternoon, we toured the park, checking out the water falls, etc. I stayed with the shorts, after all, I'm riding park roads with a 20mph speed limit, what could go wrong? :cool: Finished the tour, put the kickstand down, and promptly leaned the bike over and kissed my leg with the hot exhaust! :ohmy: Last time I wore shorts on the bike. That was 26 years ago.

• Member Contributer

No to get off subject tooooooo much. Here's a hint for riding longer in a Roadcrafter in the extreme heat. Fill the back vent with ice. If you notice it has a built in mesh pocket. The suit's made of Gore-tex so the moisture only goes out and not in. A little will make it's way to you, but hey, if you're using this method you won't mind the evap cooler effect. I've done this a lot during the extreme summer months and it makes the ride more enjoyable.

YellowFuzz

• Forum CEO

My first stich was a black one that was a bit too tight on me so I kept the front zipper down so as to not ruin the family jewels. Yea I crashed in that suit twice, once ended up on my back in a ditch and then I bought the back protector after that. - worked great btw, just going too fast and hit some gravel on a well known gravely road being stupid. I lost the back end a bit and then instead of riding it out I stood it up and grabbed all brakes and rode it right off the road! Second crash same suit I hit a patch of black ice and was down before I could even react front end just went and I was down, felt like falling out of bed to be honest and I slid down the road on my butt and then momentum carried me to my feet and I stood up it was wierd. Wore the back protector that time and had all the vents open, all the armored areas took a hit and stiching was torn but those spots they double up the fabric and use balistic fabric in the knees and elbow. I was fine, picked up the bike and rode off!

The next stich I crashed in some mud, back protector right in front of everybody - not a good dirt bike rider and especially not on a vfr! I helicoptered on my butt on that crash and got mud everywhere! Felt like falling out of bed again onto a pillow this time no issues at all! That and about 10 more incidents falling of my dirtbike - once almost vertical the bike fell over on top of me and I got my leg pinned under the bike - I was upside down with the exhaust on my leg but the ballistics protected me from that too! That one did not feel so good, my riding buddy lifted the xr off me and I rode out of there after wearing myself down trying to kick start it - and about 9 more falls on the dirtbike! Like I said I cant ride a dirtbike very well!

OH and the new stich Transit suit, saved my ass when a hillbilly in Centerville TN decided to run me off the road, litterally ran me off the road in a head on! I rode off the road to avoid being a hood orniment and took a superman dive into some gavelly dirt on the side of the road, dazed and sore with a groin pull I had myself checked out at the ER! Suit definitly saved me there. So if your wondering if Aerostich gear is crash worthy YES! It looks awful though! But who cares this stuff is the best gear a rider can get short of armored competion leathers! 10 minor dirtbike crashes 3 major roadbike crashes yea this stuff works!! Most leathers are not water proof and you cant really ride in such a range of weather either! Hot Cold Wet Snow! Stich is the way to go for an all around rider.

• Member Contributer

I have never worn shorts on the bike, well, except maybe for moving it around in the driveway before I wash it :biggrin:

Wore shorts once. Rode to Letchworth Park in jeans, leather jacket, helmet, and gloves on my Nighthawk S to meet friends for a picnic. Changed to shorts after I got there. Later in the afternoon, we toured the park, checking out the water falls, etc. I stayed with the shorts, after all, I'm riding park roads with a 20mph speed limit, what could go wrong? :cool: Finished the tour, put the kickstand down, and promptly leaned the bike over and kissed my leg with the hot exhaust! :ohmy: Last time I wore shorts on the bike. That was 26 years ago.

Ouch! Reminds of my first time on a motorcycle. I was at the lake in my teens I think, drinking beer, got on a guys dirt bike (I think it was a Honda 125) with his permission. Rode down the road with my friend wearing only, wait for it... tennis shoes and swimsuit! The first corner with gravel I low sided it and spent a painful night with road rash over a goodly percentage of my left side and then spent the next few weeks at the physical therapy place getting the burns scrubbed...what fun! Man I was a complete tool...

• Member Contributer

Holy cow Miguel! Aerostitch needs to do a documentary on you and pay you big bucks for wearing their suits! Thank goodness you were always wearing the gear. I think you just talked me out of a dual sport or dirt bike for now...LOL! I would double your wrecks in short order!

• Member Contributer

I'm contemplating a Roadcrafter 1 piece, but want to be able to use my heated vest with it. For those that have a Roadcrafter, how do you run the wiring for the vest? Is there a provision in the suit for it?

Thanks!

So, any decisions yet after all this discussion? I kinda like the idea of Miguels leather one, but they are spendy!

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

So, any decisions yet after all this discussion? I kinda like the idea of Miguels leather one, but they are spendy!

I've appreciated all the advice, testimonials and antecdotes! I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on lightly used one. (TripleH will attest to my nickname on the other forum we're members of, "Mr. Good Deal." :biggrin: ) They are a little too pricey new, and I currently have a good textile jacket and pants, plus a nice leather jacket to tide me over.

• Member Contributer

May I suggest a Teiz Lombard 1-piece,

I have one that I've been using daily for about 3 months and its a really great suit.

See more info here - a massive thread on ADV rider - the guys customer service is Outstanding.

Ive used it with Heated Gear from the 20's and with all vents vents open up to about 82 and felt very comfortable.

I normally use an Olympia Stealth 1-piece in the summer but looks like I wont be needing that anymore.

Good Luck with your decision!

I have looked at those. I do like that they have stretch panels above the knees and at the lower back. My concern is that they say they are not waterproof in extended periods of rain. Have you had a chance to try it in the rain?

Archived