How can I use this mount?

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

A buddy gave me this mount. It's got velcro on the platform, and a couple reticulating sections.

Anyone know what brand this is and where I can find more pieces to make it work? I'd like to have it come from the steering head; is that possible with what you see here?

I've always worked out of a tankbag, so this whole mount thing is new to me.

I'm thinking of using it for a small lightweight video camera and/or gps.

How would you mount it on your 6th gen VFR?

gallery_6813_5789_2221544.jpg

gallery_6813_5789_1105159.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've seen something like that before, where people stuck it through the steering stem and used it to hold their GPS or cell phone. Not really sure what I would use something that large for. I'd modify it a bit to hold a camera and put it on the back of the bike or something I guess.

Its a techmount. I have and use one with no problem for my GPS. I wouldn't trust it to hold a video camera as it would vibrate to much I'm sure.

Kind of hard to see in this pic.Techmounts And yes you have everything you need to mount in the stem.

gallery_12176_3371_448639.jpg

DSCF0598.JPG

• Member Contributer

Find a rubber plug that fits the outside diameter of the mount stick it in the steering stem and jam the mount into it .

When I got my bike the previous owner had one of these he gave me. He used it for his radar detector. It helps to get the o-rings wet before you stick it in the steering step. Makes it go in a lot easier.

• Member Contributer

When I got my bike the previous owner had one of these he gave me. He used it for his radar detector. It helps to get the o-rings wet before you stick it in the steering step. Makes it go in a lot easier.

That's what she said..... :laughing6-hehe:

• 2 months later...

If the stem feels too loose, you can order just that piece from techmount.com

I think the 6th gen uses a 24mm. Use o-rings to secure it.

Once in, it takes some good effort to get it out.

I use one to hold my GPS and Radar detector.

If the stem feels too loose, you can order just that piece from techmount.com

I think the 6th gen uses a 24mm. Use o-rings to secure it.

Once in, it takes some good effort to get it out.

I use one to hold my GPS and Radar detector.

Rubbing alcohol makes a good lube to install or remove things that use rubber. works good on barends as well.(alcohol)

• Member Contributer

Mounting things in the steering stem can be a good solution. Most Honda steering stems (steel ones) have the same ID as the handle bars, so you can actually modify a, typical rubber-mounted aftermarket bar-end for use in the steering stem. However, the mounting bolt needs to be tightened quite a lot to prevent subsequent turning. You can also use a simple long threaded rod with a nut at the bottom, and some bar-ends, and achieve an even more solid steering stem mount that will not come loose. I have no experience with professionally made stem mounts, so they may have an even better solution?

Ciao,

Mounting things in the steering stem can be a good solution. Most Honda steering stems (steel ones) have the same ID as the handle bars, so you can actually modify a, typical rubber-mounted aftermarket bar-end for use in the steering stem. However, the mounting bolt needs to be tightened quite a lot to prevent subsequent turning. You can also use a simple long threaded rod with a nut at the bottom, and some bar-ends, and achieve an even more solid steering stem mount that will not come loose. I have no experience with professionally made stem mounts, so they may have an even better solution?

Ciao,

stem mounts work fine. they do block your view of the tach.

Archived