Fuel line options

I'm looking for some tubing to use as a fuel line (from tank to pump to carbs) and have come across a couple types. One is SAE 30R7 rated (~$1.3 per foot) and one is 30R9 rated (~$7.5 per foot), is the only difference the PSI rating (50 vs 100 psi), and can I use the first one with the lower rating or do I need to spend 7x more on tubing?

Descriptions I've found on O'Reilly:

$1.29 per foot

Multi-purpose hose for use on fuel lines, PCV and EEC systems, and for fuel return hose connections on diesel fuel injection systems. Approved for use with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel and gasoline blends of ethanol, methanol and ethers (up to the legal limits allowed by the EPA).

Reinforced construction. Nitrile tube. Temperature Range: -40 degrees F (-40 degrees C) to 257 degrees F (125 degrees C). Oil resistant cover resists the effects of high heat and ozone found in engine compartments. Meets SAE 30R6 and 30R7. Also known as Safety StripeĀ® II Fuel Line/PCV/Evaporative Emission Control Hose.

WARNING: Do not use for pressure lines on fuel injected engines or for cooling system applications. Use Multi-Port Injection (MPI) hose for fuel injection applications. Intended for use with fuels where MTBE concentrations are no greater than 15% by volume.

$7.49 per foot

Recommended for clamped hose applications on all fuel systems, including fuel injection systems. Not designed to replace coupled hose assemblies on fuel injected engines. Approved for use with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel fuel and gasoline blends of ethanol, methanol and ethers (up to maximum concentrations allowed by the EPA) and 100% methanol or ethanol.

60% fluoroelastomer liner resists permeation and alcohol. Oil resistant tube combats heat. Polyester braid reinforcement increases strength. Oil resistant cover resists heat, ozone and abrasion. Meets SAE 30R9 requirements. Temperature Range: -29 degrees F (-34 degrees C) to 257 degrees F (135 degrees C). Intermittent Maximum Working Temperature: +302 degrees F (+150 degrees C).

Note: Intended for use with fuels where MTBE concentrations are no greater than 15% by volume.

Your carbureted bike should be just fine with the lower pressure hose. Even though you have a pump, most carb'd engines don't have a pump that will produce more than a few lbs or pressure. Fuel injected engines on the other hand can have 60 lbs or more of pressure which this hose would not be adaquate for.

• Member Contributer

Do you need new fuel lines because you are going with a different setup than stock, or just need the stock fuel lines? I have a whole fuel pump setup back at home that has filter, pump, line from tank to filter to pump, and line from pump to carbs.

You don't need 100psi capable lines. Think the 5/6th gen fuel pressure is around 18/19 psi.

I replaced all of mine about 4k ago with good year gator fuel line hose. All together I about about 2ft of hose for like $10. I cut everything to size and used the rest to replace the vent and overfill line as well.

Thanks for the replies, I thought that was the case. I'm getting it for my 4th gen build which will probably have the fuel pump in a different location, as well as for a Hawk GT that I'm having to relocate the fuel pump (because of a subframe swap with a 748 :fing02: )

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies, I thought that was the case. I'm getting it for my 4th gen build which will probably have the fuel pump in a different location, as well as for a Hawk GT that I'm having to relocate the fuel pump (because of a subframe swap with a 748 :fing02: )

On my last fuel pump adventure I used some transparent 3/8" ID fuel line from an Aircraft Spruce distributor in the UK. It was about $5/ft, more or less. I like it because I can see what's happening!

Ciao,gallery_362_402_25855.jpg

P1010754x.JPG

gallery_362_402_32022.jpg

P1010744x.JPG

• 2 years later...

Great thread and great post! Mainly because I've been searching for fuel line OD and finally found someone that had posted a pic of what they bought.

3/8" ID

1/2" OD

Now to find either some bright blue, or some of the clear fuel hose! :D

• Member Contributer

The fuel lines on our 3rd gen were hard as a rock and leaking. The fuel pump itself was eventually found to be leaking at the joint where the two halves are crimped together.

Mason City Honda (with our VFR discount from Keith in parts) was able to supply the Honda formed fuel lines, filter and fuel pump for less than other sites show the fuel pump discounted to.

I know you are asking about a 4th gen and are moving the components around but the correct parts are still available.

• 3 months later...

The fuel lines on our 3rd gen were hard as a rock and leaking. The fuel pump itself was eventually found to be leaking at the joint where the two halves are crimped together.

Mason City Honda (with our VFR discount from Keith in parts) was able to supply the Honda formed fuel lines, filter and fuel pump for less than other sites show the fuel pump discounted to.

I know you are asking about a 4th gen and are moving the components around but the correct parts are still available.

Coming back to this post unfortunately.

I went to the shop at lunch to crank the VFR and there was a puddle under the left-side passenger peg. Looks like my fuel pump body is now also leaking.

Any thoughts on going gravity-fed? I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out.

• Member Contributer

Coming back to this post unfortunately.

I went to the shop at lunch to crank the VFR and there was a puddle under the left-side passenger peg. Looks like my fuel pump body is now also leaking.

Any thoughts on going gravity-fed? I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out.

Use tissue paper to make certain that the pump is actually leaking. It sounds like you may have a stuck float and after some time the fuel in teh carb rises above the level of the velocity stacks and leaks out and down teh side of the engine...or you do have a leaking fuel pump.

you can go with gravity feed but even a carbed bike enjoys 8 lbs of pressure above atmospheric.

Not leaving from the carbs. It's definitely coming from the actually fuel pump body. I will most likely go to gravity feed for now, but eventually seek out a replacement fuel pump. No rush on this fix, as I have another bike to ride.

I did not get clear. Godman Performance is right down the street, and also personal friends of the family. I went down and told Mr Godman what I was looking for and he hooked me up on fuel line. They are a high performance, custom drag racing shop.

Sent from my handheld-sending-thing...

Archived