quick-release frankenbolts

thereisnospoon

• Member Contributer

Sargent sells "quick release" pins to replace the frankenbolts securing the rear cowl... does anyone have experience with these? I'm guessing the original threads need to be drilled out, which I wouldn't be looking forward to, but having quick access under the cowl would be handy..

• Member Contributer

Sargent sells "quick release" pins to replace the frankenbolts securing the rear cowl... does anyone have experience with these? I'm guessing the original threads need to be drilled out, which I wouldn't be looking forward to, but having quick access under the cowl would be handy..

Yep, they work a treat! Miguel had 'em for years, and I've had them nearly as long. Sargent sells a two piece seat so you can remove the back portion and use the cowl as storage. I cut the back off a stocker and achieved the same results for little money. Get a full rainsuit, helmet hair hiding hat, and bottle of water in there on a good day! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I was concerned about not being able to use some of the GIVI racks that use those threads, but it was suggested to me to run a threaded rod through as a replacement. One day I might get another wing rack, so good to know...

• Member Contributer

I'm seeing different sources... what is the "usable length" needed? Sargent doesn't say and there is a variety. Looks like the measurement is from the locking balls to the washer. anyone have one handy to measure by chance?? :D

• Member Contributer

I'm seeing different sources... what is the "usable length" needed? Sargent doesn't say and there is a variety. Looks like the measurement is from the locking balls to the washer. anyone have one handy to measure by chance?? :D

If you're referring to the ones from Sargeant, they're adjustable using a piece of clear tubing as a spacer. If you need measurments so you can purchase them elsewhere, let me know and I'll measure mine when I get home.

if you decide to use them, I have a unopened package here you can have.

• Member Contributer

Anything with a 1/4" diameter and 3/4" usable length should work fine. You'll need to drill the threads in order for them to work. You can just heli-coil the holes if you ever decide to put the stock bolts back in. Mine didn't come with spacers and I was looking at buying some bushings but I like the plastic tubing idea too. I'll have to look in to that.

-Jake

Archived