VFRness installation

Guest Brisco20

Question

Guest Brisco20

So I bought the VFRness for a 6th gen. Tried it out and it works great. The only problem is that I can't get the wires to line up right on the right side to get the fairing back on. This is really kicking my @$$. Does anyone have some pictures of what worked for them?

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

There was a thread started by Tightwad I think with pretty good pics. Have you done a good search on this site? Check out the electrical section?

C

There was a thread started by Tightwad I think with pretty good pics. Have you done a good search on this site? Check out the electrical section?

C

Thanks, everytime I try a search it never seems to work out but I'll try again.

• Member Contributer

I've installed two VFRnesses, and the extra connectors and heavier wiring seem to add just enough bulk to make the right side cowl a little hard to fit properly. The problem is that there are 4-5 connectors all in the same general area, so I just staggered and/or stacked them in such a way that the cover finally fit without interferring with the wiring. No real advice on how to achieve this...more or less a matter of trail and error until the cover fits properly. I'm sure Tightwad has some pics of a 6th Gen install that might help, so you might want to send him a PM.

• Member Contributer

I installed mine a few months ago and had the same dilemma. Originally I had it clumped / zipped into a ball. I restacked the connecters/wires so they sat on top of each other, then zipped it back together. Fairing went on and when I pulled it off again, everything stays together.

Just like NVR2L8 says... jiggle,wiggle,move,swear and presto.. it'll work.:biggrin: Works for most things......

• Member Contributer

Had the very same problem. FWIW here's some pics of the install on my '08 . . . there are probably other ways of doing it - this is just how it worked out for me. Keep at it - eventually you'll get it.

post-20057-065136400 1282869717_thumb.jp

post-20057-098474300 1282869762_thumb.jp

post-20057-057618600 1282869793_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

Brisco20,

Here's what I found (it may be Tightwad's original post and you most likely have seen it but here it is anyway).

linky

To my knowledge, these are the best pics available on this site--best ones I found anyway. But I do recall having a hard time trying to put the right side of the faring back together, but I was in a rush and had to get it together to get to this year's meet in Nelson... I should take another look at it as I'm sure it is not very nicely tucked in there.... More stuff for the winter months where riding is not possible.

Please post pics if you find a way to keep them nice and out of the way.

Good luck!

C

Edit: yes, thanks Tightwad for a great product that boosted my voltage right up! Well worth it IMHO!

• Member Contributer

Ditto as every one above. I was happy it was gonna help the electrical side of the fence, but I wasnt really pleased that I ended up having to cajole, curse, finagle, and black vinyl tape the living hooey outta it to get it to sit down and stay out of the way to get the tail plastic on. -- I must confess that I am a bit of a neat freak when it comes to brake lines and wires. I could be at the abnormal end of the stick.

Still - kudos to tightwad for a good product.

I've installed two VFRnesses, and the extra connectors and heavier wiring seem to add just enough bulk to make the right side cowl a little hard to fit properly. The problem is that there are 4-5 connectors all in the same general area, so I just staggered and/or stacked them in such a way that the cover finally fit without interferring with the wiring. No real advice on how to achieve this...more or less a matter of trail and error until the cover fits properly. I'm sure Tightwad has some pics of a 6th Gen install that might help, so you might want to send him a PM.

That's kinda what I figured it would come down to. At least I know I'm on the right track

Archived