VFR1200F insurance rates

Guest roadpilot

Guest roadpilot

Anybody care to share their experiences with insuring their new VFR1200F?

Yes, I know everybody's situation is different (e.g., different state, different age, different driving record, different past claims, etc.). Just curious how it compares to your previous bikes.

I'm 44 with absolutely no tickets/accidents/etc/ for decades. Current '98VFR with full coverage, low deductibles and high liability coverages is 1/4th the price to insure a new VFR1200F. Pricing another bike towards the sport-TOURING side (Concours 14 ABS), and the same coverage on that bike is HALF what they want for the VFR1200F.

Ouch!

Sure.

My home and vehicles are all wrapped into one payment, so I don't know the exact itemized number for the VFR, but I switched from the '07 VFR800 with only liability to the 1200 with full coverage, and my rate went up by about $64 per month.

I have a clean driving record, 30 years old, married, and own my home. I insure with State Farm in Washington State.

Sure.

My home and vehicles are all wrapped into one payment, so I don't know the exact itemized number for the VFR, but I switched from the '07 VFR800 with only liability to the 1200 with full coverage, and my rate went up by about $64 per month.

I have a clean driving record, 30 years old, married, and own my home. I insure with State Farm in Washington State.

With my 2009 sportster i paid 230 a year

With my 2007 919 (bought brand new in 2009) i paid $200 a year

With my VFR1200 i pay $360 a year

Just for the f of it i asked for a quote on a 2010 1000rr it was $760 a year.

Also in my experience insurance is way more expensive when it a current year model. Example, a 2009 vfr800 would have been $360 a year (in 2009) and a 2008 model would be only $200 for me.

My record? maybe one speeding ticket like 3-5 years ago, a bunch before that. No accidents that were my fault, but like 4 from other people hitting me.

When they told me $6000.00 and change to fully insure my VFR1200F for one year, I about fell out of the chair.

I had to settle for liability and uninsured driver coverage which is $1000.00+ a year which I just settled with 21st Century today.

I am covered well but, my bike is not covered at all because I can't afford it.

That is why I have an excellent motorcycle attorney, if it was not for him, I would not have my VFR1200F.

• Member Contributer

My insurance cost on a VFR 1200 would be $0.00/ year..............because I will never own one :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Fasterspider, have you tried Pacific-McGraw? 6K is ludicrous, unless your reference below is to some..."unsportsmanlike conduct" the CHP or local LEOs pinched you for ;-) that will cause any insurer to scrutinize you heavily.

When they told me $6000.00 and change to fully insure my VFR1200F ...

That is why I have an excellent motorcycle attorney, if it was not for him, I would not have my VFR1200F.

Maybe it's a good thing I can't afford a new motorcycle payment in the first place, because paying a much higher rate to insure it (vs. my '04 VFR) to boot would be a tough pill to swallow. :fing02: It's a factor I'll have to deal with when I eventually buy a new (or just newer) bike, but for now I'll just dreaming of new machines.

I switched from Progressive to Safeco recently because my Progressive rates at renewal jumped by a lot without any change in my status.

Full coverage for the VFR1200F in S. Cal with $500 deductable is $462/yr. For comparison, the same coverage on the 08' Kawasaki C14 is $312/yr.

Given the fact that the VFR begs you to get into trouble with your right hand, I think the higher insurance rate is probably warranted. The C14 is boring by comparison.

• Member Contributer

$6000???? You've got to be kidding? I would have kicked my agent in the NUT's for even having the audacity to try that crap. You need to get to looking for a new agent as that is far beyond a fair and just quote, let alone he could loose his license for pulling that crap. There are standards for insurance and given your location, credit score, driving record and history with them the rates can differ, but that is Total BS on his part!!!

I had Geiko last year and they were pretty reasonable. I had Progressive before and at that time they were the best deal for me. Progressive had been $750 for 2 bikes for a year, full coverage on one and liability on the other. Last year Progressive changed that to about 1300 for the same deal. So I switched to Geiko for around $750. This year I got the VFR1200 and Geiko wanted 1700 for full coverage on the VFR1200. I called Progressive and was able to get full coverage on the VFR1200 for about $750 and $100 for liability on the VFR800.

It is a huge pain in the butt, it seems like they offer a low rate to get you to join for a year and then jack it up for renewal. So the lesson was to shop around. I still don't understand why they keep changing it back and forth. I am usually a pretty loyal customer, but when they jerk you around I lose all of that. Good luck with your search.

[edit - fixed a typo]

Sure.

Correction, just looked at my insurance bill...

My monthly payment for full coverage on the 1200 is only $53.60.

There was a fee for the policy change that was not part of my premium, so my earlier estimate was too high.

That's with $100 deductable for comprehensive, and $250 deductable for collision.

Correction, just looked at my insurance bill...

My monthly payment for full coverage on the 1200 is only $53.60.

So far, SF has been the only company to rate the VFR1200 correctly.

Thanks for the help, all.

This is a cut/paste from my state farm policy...

POLICY COVERAGES AS FOLLOWS:

ANNUAL

LIMITS PREMIUM

BODILY INJURY AND 25/65/25 $100.44

PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY

COMPREHENSIVE $100 DEDUCTIBLE ACV $85.37

COLLISION $500 DEDUCTIBLE ACV $384.42

UNINSURED MOTOR VEHICLE 25/65 $35.31

BODILY INJURY

UNDERINSURED MOTOR VEHICLE 25/50 $50.70

TOTAL OF 12 MONTH PREMIUM $656.24

MONTHLY PREMIUM (SERVICE CHARGE NOT INCLUDED) $54.69

• 1 year later...

State Farm does their rates based on the size of the engine. I traded a R6 to get the VFR1200 and my rate pretty much doubled to about $650 a year. Still not bad but the $300 something I was paying for the R6 was great.

It was funny since when I bought the R6 I was also considering a Bandit and the Bandit came in $200 higher for insurance because it had a 1000 cc engine.

I pay 940 with TD Canada Trust I think they use Primus

I live 10 km from you, I am also insured with TD insurance and I pay almost $1400 for full coverage I am 42 with 2 tickets on my record, can you let me know of your situation ( age ,tickets, type of coverage etc) because I have better thinks to do with that $500 diference. P.S. We should get together for a ride I have the Vifer for 2 months now and have not yet seen another one around.

Full coverage for the VFR1200F in S. Cal with $500 deductable is $462/yr. For comparison, the same coverage on the 08' Kawasaki C14 is $312/yr.

Mine were/are the same on both bikes with State farm. 36 with no accidents in a long time but a couple speeding tickets over the past couple years.

Fasterspider, have you tried Pacific-McGraw? 6K is ludicrous, unless your reference below is to some..."unsportsmanlike conduct" the CHP or local LEOs pinched you for ;-) that will cause any insurer to scrutinize you heavily.

When they told me $6000.00 and change to fully insure my VFR1200F ...

+1

I have Pacific-McGraw with full coverage with a $300 deductible on both my VFR1200FD and SV650 for $750 a year. I'm in my mid 30s and live in an urban area (West L.A.). They gave me a pretty fair value when the VFR1200F was totaled.

I pay $108 per year for my 2006, Collision, comp, and liability. I'll never see that kind of deal again , even Geico wants $550 for the same coverage, Progressive about $600.

i dont know if it helps but im 32. state farm told me they reclassified a lot of motorcycles. my 02 vfr went from about 450 for 6 months to 165. i cant believe how much it went down.

• Member Contributer

No it's not Primis, it's a funny 2 name company that I can't pull out of this mush I call a brain. I just switched to them from State Farm and saved about half on my 07.

I live 10 km from you, I am also insured with TD insurance and I pay almost $1400 for full coverage I am 42 with 2 tickets on my record, can you let me know of your situation ( age ,tickets, type of coverage etc) because I have better thinks to do with that $500 diference. P.S. We should get together for a ride I have the Vifer for 2 months now and have not yet seen another one around.

I'd have to guess its the tickets. They told me I get one freebie but after a second, there would be an upsetting rate increase.

No it's not Primis, it's a funny 2 name company that I can't pull out of this mush I call a brain. I just switched to them from State Farm and saved about half on my 07.

Meloche Monnex?

• Member Contributer

Meloche Monnex?

That's them....Told you it was a funny name :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived