Tire Date Codes

jasonsmith

• Member Contributer

Curious, anyone know why my brand new PR2 rear is showing a date code "0910" (September 2010)? I know they're new but pretty sure it's only July right now. The front shows 0310 which makes more sense.

I believe that's week #/year, so it was made the 9th week of the year, early March or so.

That is correct!!! :idea3:

the first two numbers = week made from 01-52 weeks and second set is year. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have a new tire for my Valky - the date is 0907 ---- so 9th week of '07? Would you use the tire? Its a Metzler.....

(I bought it over a year ago, got it in a buy a front and get a rear free deal.)

I have a new tire for my Valky - the date is 0907 ---- so 9th week of '07? Would you use the tire? Its a Metzler.....

(I bought it over a year ago, got it in a buy a front and get a rear free deal.)

Now you know why it was a free deal, it was spoiling, If I buy atire from someone and its 2 year old, I probably wont buy another

I would have no issue running it at all unless it was stored out in the sun the entire time especially for the intended use. Now a racing tire that old, maybe not! :fing02:

Does it still look and feel new?

BR

• Member Contributer

I would have no issue running it at all unless it was stored out in the sun the entire time especially for the intended use. Now a racing tire that old, maybe not! :fing02:

Does it still look and feel new?

BR

Yeah - its been stored in doors in a closet and looks and stinks just like new. Most likely I'm gonna run it,

I just thought I would see what the viffer brain trust would say.

Yeah - its been stored in doors in a closet and looks and stinks just like new. Most likely I'm gonna run it,

I just thought I would see what the viffer brain trust would say.

Yeah, sunlight and uncontrolled temps cause the largest problems to the life of rubber. Hell if a tire is sealed in a airtight bag and in a climate controlled room they can last a very long time. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Awesome thanks guys. Total brain fart on that one.

So 0910 is 9th week 2010 REAR

and 0310 is 3rd week 2010 FRONT.

That totally explains why my stockers weren't made in the 39th and 40th months of 2006 :fing02:

I think they say 7 years (or is it 5?) is max age for a car tyre. Dunno about bike but would be guessing similar. Having said that, 2 years, no problem.

I saw a Pilotpower front in a yamaha superstore for $76

Im thinking holy crap, what a price, It was made in spain and looked good, but I was too lazy to pull out and look at the date code, This place isnt cheap, but their tire prices looked pretty good, I bet they rip ya on install, but very competive with mail order.

I'll probably go back, when I need tires again

I think they say 7 years (or is it 5?) is max age for a car tyre. Dunno about bike but would be guessing similar. Having said that, 2 years, no problem.

There's normally an obvious visual difference once a tire is 2 year old on the shelve, but were talking four year old, usable , but not Idea IMO , Id rather purchace within a year at the worst case.

• Member Contributer

My 39th week 2006 stock front was cracking badly in all the channels. Once taken off it looked really bad and that's only about 4 years old... She never really sat in the sun for any long periods and has always been non heated garage kept. Up here in BC the air is actually supposed to be fairly decent on the rubbers too so idunno what to think.

My 39th week 2006 stock front was cracking badly in all the channels. Once taken off it looked really bad and that's only about 4 years old... She never really sat in the sun for any long periods and has always been non heated garage kept. Up here in BC the air is actually supposed to be fairly decent on the rubbers too so idunno what to think.

You obviously need to ride harder and Longer! That way you have fresh tires every year! :blush:

• Member Contributer

3 years top is my rule of thumb. At my age, if I can justify owning a bike, I can justify buying tires to keep me on the road and alive. Too much to loose. I'll cheap out on insurance before I cheap out on tires. But that's just me...

C

Your tire was dried out because it had been heat cycled from riding on it over and over. A new tire that has not been heat cycled can easily last 4 years.

Archived