Ok Pirelli Angel Owners

hoss8640

Just ordered a set of the Angels for my 5th Gen. What are the general thoughts on these tires? I don't ride hard and commute alot but am planning on doing a few day trips. These will work out for that correct? I know it is too late now to change my mind so lets hope for the best!! :cheerleader:

Just ordered a set of the Angels for my 5th Gen. What are the general thoughts on these tires? I don't ride hard and commute alot but am planning on doing a few day trips. These will work out for that correct? I know it is too late now to change my mind so lets hope for the best!! :cheerleader:

Just mounted a set myself last weekend. I am hoping for better treadlife than (everything) else I've tried. The Angels seem to get good wet weather reviews which is really important here in the Northwet. I've put about 400 miles on them so far...all twisties. They warm quickly and stick well but are not as plush as, say, Supercorsas or other soft compound tires. The price was right at Jakewilson.com and the profile makes for better handling than most ST tires. Good luck with yours!

• Member Contributer

Have 3200miles on a set of angels and the back tire is worn to wear bars. there was an article about theses tire in real world street riding you should get 7500miles, not even close from my experience going back to PR2. To me they feel very much like the old diablos which is a great tire. comparing to pr2 would say traction is the same dry. PR2 IMO were better in the rain. angels are pirelli smooth and a great tire my second choice simply because pr2 last longer.

out of all the different tires Iv had conti rd attacks 2sets corsa III 2 sets, one diablo rear and set of pr2. angels and pr2 is my 2 top choices for VFR

I have a set with just over 1,500 miles on them and they still look like new. I guess I'm just easier on tires, or old, so I don't know what people do that they are wearing out at 3K miles. I can say that they are awesome in the rain, I spent a day riding in heavy rain and was very pleased. I also had them in some twisties in WV and found them to hold better than the previous Diablo Strada's I had. They feel like they have a better, almost softer ride than the old Strada's but yet better traction as well. Just my opinion and I'm no expert, but I like them and will definetly get another set when these are done.

• Forum CEO

I spooned on a set for my buddy on his C14, I thought they were very heavy - much heavier than the PR2 we took off. It was a difficult tire to get on too the sidwalls are very thick and stiff. I was glad there were two of us and not just me doing it. He had 2 sets cause the tire retailer online sent him two by mistake, hes an upright guy so he called them about it (hes not Dudly Do Right but darned close). Anyway if they let him keep them or take some money for the extra set I might buy them off him to try them out on the veefalo. I love the pr2's personally.

I've got about 1500 miles on the rear right now and it still looks in good shape. I normally get about 3500 out of the Diablo's and 4000 out of the Strada. I'm hoping for at least that out of the Angel.

Longevity is what I was looking for in a tire and was going to go with the PR2's. I found this deal on Jakewilson.com on the Angels and couldn't really pass it up, money is tight you do what you can to get the best deal on a good product. I figured it was a toss up between the two sets as to which one to go with, I just hope they last awhile so the wife doesn't have to complain anymore than she already does about the price, and the short life span of motorcycle tires. We will see though.

Thanks for the input guys!!!

I really like my Angels. Ever since I got my first set of Stradas after tryng not all, but many other tires, I just liked the feel better, more confidence inspiring, easy turn in and good traction etc. The Angels feel a little better than my Stradas and I think running at high speed with luggage in hot weather accelerates the wear quite a bit. I've got about 2,200 miles on mine an they still look fairly new, but the Angels are wore off and I'm left with the Demons. I can't compare to the Pilot C2s because I've never had them on. I will be getting another set of Angels when these wear out. By the way, when I got my wheels back from the tire guy I noticed he'd taken all the weights off and I wondered if it was going to shimmy and shake and wondered if he had failed to balance them, but they run smooth and that suggest the tires are made pretty darn uniform.

This copy is from their site, but the part that impresses is the new endurance record:

Angel ST and M/C Technology today.

by admin on Jun.09, 2010, under JEFF: TECHNICAL

Tire and m/c technology continues to move a fast pace and one of the best examples is in the sport touring segment. For example the Kawasaki Concours 14 and Yamaha FJR1300 are important bikes in the segment, and both feature some innovative electronics & chassis designs, and both have very powerful engines and carry a far bit of weight. What this means to Pirelli and you is tire design must be better than ever to provide the level of handling needed but still reward the rider with respectable mileage. We do this with new compounding and carcass designs but what means to you is great wet and dry handling and long mileage.

While most riders will see somewhere between 4,000 and 7,000 miles on these tires, some riders like Nick T. in So Cal. reported a shade over 9,700 miles with a set on his Concours 14. How did he do it you ask? Well running 40 psi front and 42 psi rear certainly helped but he told us he gave up nothing and the Angel ST and they out preformed the OE tires by a large margin!

Why are they called EMS tires? EMS (extended mileage sport) means the tires handle as good a true sport tires but give more mileage like a sport touring tire. So they make sense whether you ride a CBR600 or a Hayabusa to help you get more smiles for more miles. Yes they offer excellent value at a competitive price, and proven performance confirmed by this tidy fact, the new FIM 24-hour World Duration Record is now 3192.5 miles with a average speed of 132.9 mph on one set of Angel STs. So we have to ask what are you waiting for?

• Member Contributer

Longevity is what I was looking for in a tire and was going to go with the PR2's. I found this deal on Jakewilson.com on the Angels and couldn't really pass it up, money is tight you do what you can to get the best deal on a good product. I figured it was a toss up between the two sets as to which one to go with, I just hope they last awhile so the wife doesn't have to complain anymore than she already does about the price, and the short life span of motorcycle tires. We will see though.

Thanks for the input guys!!!

thats where i picked mine up was a smoking deal for sure. just purchased another set of PR2 from JW for 30$ more than angels

• Member Contributer

I've got a few thousand miles on mine. I expect them to last about 8k by the looks of it. The front tire seems to have a pretty sharp (vertical) profile at the edges which I am not crazy about as it makes the front a little sketchy when leaned over enough to get the rear tire wear all the the way to the edges. The grip is not great but its predictable. They seem to spin up pretty easy powering out of turns when still leaned over but I don't mind that. No complaints and unless something weird happens as they wear I'd buy again.

Another satisfied Pirelli Angel owner. I've had mine on for about 1,500 miles, including a two day ride through West Virginia. The wear appears minimal and they gave me all the grip I need on a public road. Considering the price I paid for them, I'm extremely satisfied so far.

• Member Contributer

Another satisfied Pirelli Angel owner. I've had mine on for about 1,500 miles, including a two day ride through West Virginia. The wear appears minimal and they gave me all the grip I need on a public road. Considering the price I paid for them, I'm extremely satisfied so far.

I've been hesitating to post anything about these tires, since I don't have many miles on a set I recently had installed, but so far (100 miles in) I'm liking them. Have yet to take them to the twisties, but in regular street riding, they're performing well. Turn in is good, possibly quicker than my last set of Pilot Powers. I can feel the road ok, so it's not a vague tire. I'll post more as I test them.

Well finally the tires have arrived and they will be mounted this weekend!! I am excited to have new tires finally put on the bike! Will report my thoughts on these after they get broken in.

I know the thread is getting kinda old but I'll add my comments anyway.

Just put on Angel ST on my '06. This is a first time I've used Pirelli. My last three sets have been PR2s and I must say that I like the turn-in and bump absorption more on the Pirelli than the PR2s, which had been my favorite up to now. I'll try them on the twisties this weekend, but so far I like them a lot.

I don't expect to get the as much mileage as the PR2s. As I've commented in other threads, every brand of tire I've tried (Dunlop, Bridgestone, Metzler, Michelin) feels like crap the last 20% of their life. The conundrum with the PR2s is that their end of life (from 12,000km to 14,000km) lasts too long and I end up dumping them before I get to the wear bars. Life is too short to ride around for 3-4 weeks on crappy feeling tires, so I end up packing in the PR2s when they still have 2000km left in them.

If these Angels are like the other single compound ST tires that I've burned through, I expect to get around 9,000km to 10,000km out of them, which should get me to the end of this year.

Brian

• Member Contributer

final mileage for me was 3670miles (5872km) on rear tire was completely done cords were just beginning to show tire was loosing air. i will say that right up to the end tire handled good ,unlike pr2 once they get to wear bars they tend to get squirrelly. installed a new pr2 rear will keep angel front for a while.

i wont hesitate to buy tires again. for now, ill stick with pr2 for that little bit extra mileage and slightly better wet traction.

You mean this one?

gallery_12892_5510_343462.jpg

About 5mm.JPG

I picked up a 3" screw in my Strada a few weeks ago so decided to bite a big bullet and went from this:

gallery_12892_5510_543426.jpg

Before.JPG

To this:

gallery_12892_5510_563517.jpg

After.JPG

gallery_12892_5510_432097.jpg

IMG_0126.JPG

Now I can't decide which is more important - clean the bike to match the rim, or go riding till the rim matches the bike! I'll have to get back to you on that tire review...

• Member Contributer

I've put about 400 miles on my recently installed set of Angels, and I must say, they are as grippy as my last set of Pilot Powers. Today, I rode them on Palomar Mountain, which is an awesome twist-filled ride. I rode at a brisk pace and at no time did the Angels lose grip. I'm definitely surprised. I thought I was going to have to sacrifice a bit of grip for mileage when switching to the Angels, but I was wrong. I did increase the pace gradually because I'm not yet as familiar with these tires as I am with the Powers. The only complaint I have is that although the turn in is very good on these tires, the bike's more difficult to pull back out of a lean than with the Powers.

We'll see how they behave in the next few thousand miles. I only got 4,900 miles out of my last set of PPs, which is a lot compared to some of you, but I'm hoping to get at least 8k out of these. By the way, I'm running them at 36F/42R air pressure.

MY GOD!!!! What a difference!!! The old tires were shot, the back was flat spotted and the front was terribly cupped so the handling on the bike was crap to say the least. I know that with that in mind there is going to be a difference in performance but holy cow!!! These are the best I have used so far the grip is amazing for the little bit I have gotten to ride so far. I am hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks and really put some miles on them! So far so good though.

• 1 month later...

I have owned my bike for two months and I've had the Pirelli Angels on it for about 90% of that time. I have to say I really enjoy them. I put 3k miles on them in two months, mostly interstate miles and they have not developed a flat spot like I was told they would. I still have the Angels on them. They warm up quickly. I don't really have any complaints.

• Member Contributer

Just had Angels put on. Have about 10 miles on them, so I have no idea yet how good they are. I'm leaving on a 3,500 mile trip this weekend, so I'll offer some feedback on handling and wear when I return in two weeks. They better not be worn out by then!

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would give an update. I thought I still had a couple hundred miles left in mine, but looked yesterday and the cords are just starting to show. 3,300 miles out of the rear. Not really what I was expecting. I was hoping for at least 4k, but have ridden 2-up quite a bit.....probably at least 1k miles.

Archived