replacement givi keys

Guest mrmusic1968

Guest mrmusic1968

I lost the givi key on my main set. I have a spare that I am using now. I need a key to be made for my givi case but can find no one around here that can help me---any ideas? Thanks Bob

• Forum CEO

I lost the givi key on my main set. I have a spare that I am using now. I need a key to be made for my givi case but can find no one around here that can help me---any ideas? Thanks Bob

I had the same problem, its not a key that most locksmiths carry. I ended up buying a new set of lock barrels with keys, I needed an extra barrel anyway to match all my bags since I added side bags after buying my topbag. I wish I could be more helpful. Perhaps a bike dealer who also is a givi dealer can duplicate the key, they would probably have the blanks.

[Call Givi up and give them your details and they will send you a replacement. Needless to say there will be a cost for this service.

• Member Contributer

My local locksmith didn't have a problem finding a blank to make a duplicate key for me, and it's a regular looking all metal key instead of the funky Givi style. So I know it's possible to have it duplicated although I guess you're at the mercy of your locksmith's abilities.

I think your best bet is to buy a single case two-key replacement kit...Twisted Throttle sells them for $9.00. They also have two or three key kits if you also have sidecases.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/909/169/

• Member Contributer

My local locksmith didn't have a problem finding a blank to make a duplicate key for me, and it's a regular looking all metal key instead of the funky Givi style. So I know it's possible to have it duplicated although I guess you're at the mercy of your locksmith's abilities.

I think your best bet is to buy a single case two-key replacement kit...Twisted Throttle sells them for $9.00. They also have two or three key kits if you also have sidecases.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/909/169/

I used to have a note of the standard key replacement for some of the GiVi Monokey keys, but can't seem to find it. Doesn't work on all of them, though. It's a gas cap key, Italian-manufactured lock or car, something like that. Check out some ST1100/1300 Web sites--those fogeys like to collect that kind of trivia... :biggrin:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue - my factory bags have just one of the funky short keys with the red top. My local locksmith had a number of different keys that fit the lock barrel - no problem there - the issue ended up being the length of the key. The best one they came up with was made by Ilco - seems like they make a lot of the aftermarket keys for autos/bikes - the model number is X22 YS2. It opens the lock fine, but while the key is in the lock's barrel, since the key is longer than the red Givi key, the handle cannot swing up over the key to get the handle to the verticle to release the bag from the frame mount. It takes some monkeying around to get it off. Seems like the best solution I've found so far is to unlock the handle and lift it just slightly, turn the key back to lock so it can be removed and then continue to lift the handle to remove the bag. I can't get the key to come out when unlocked (maybe that's operator error). Inconvenient but it works. The Givi key alternative or the new locks probably are a little more expensive but likely work better. IIRC the 2 keys I had cut from the OEM key cost me $5.

Archived