Scorpion EXO1000 and MSS - Bad Combo

beigs

• Member Contributer

Be prepared...I'm about to start complaining!

I ordered $600 in gear from motorcycle-superstore.com last month. I was a little hesitant to order from them because the first time I used them, the order shipped way later than they promised...I almost canceled the order it took so long. However, on this last order, they had everything I wanted in one place and it was all listed as "in stock" or "within 1 business day", so I gave them another shot. Low and behold, once again my order didn't ship when promised, but rather a week later.

OK, whatever, at least it all came and it was all the right stuff. One of the items I ordered was the Scorpion EXO1000. I debated a long time on this one before pulling the trigger, and at first, I was happy I did. However, I've only worn the helmet about 6 times and already the trim at the bottom is coming off. Seems like the trim on a $300 helmet would hold a little better than that. So today I contacted MSS to find out what I can do and guess what...my options are not good. They won't exchange the helmet or refund my money because it is considered 'worn' and must be sent back to Scorpion for approval, and worse than that, the process will take 6-8 weeks! Keep in mind that this is a helmet that I just received 2 1/2 weeks ago and isn't even broken in yet! angry.gif

Now, my big mistake was not reading their return policy before placing the order because the line of crap MSS gave me is actually stated in their return policy, so please be warned if you are considering ordering anything from those guys. Their return policy, in short, says "we don't accept returns/exchanges unless the item is unopened/unused...so f'off" (I'm paraphrasing here) dry.gif

My next step is contacting Scorpion directly to see what I can do there. I called them today and was immediately sent to a voicemail box that states "we will try to get back within 24 hours". I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

I'll wait to see what they say before deciding what to do next, but I may just try to repair the helmet myself with some superglue rather than wait 6-8 weeks. Truthfully, I really hate to dump a bunch of glue into a brand new $300 helmet, but it's better than the alternative.

But two things are for sure: I will no longer be doing any business with motorcycle-superstore.com and I'm going to be taking a really hard look at the next Scorpion product I buy.

Well for starters this is not a return or exchange issue, it is a warranty issue. If you stated to MSS you want to return or exchange it then you put your self in a bad spot to begin with. Returns/exchanges are used if it is the wrong item or wrong size type of issues where they could put it back on the shelf and resell it. SInce it is used they can't do that, since it is defective they can't do that. Also most suppliers are unable to process warranty claims as those do have to go through the manufacturer.

Shoot Scorpion a courteous, sugar-coated email describing what you told us here, add that you're happy with the helmet except for (_insert _problem_here_), and include a few pics.

I've heard they have great service and you should see fast results from them.

• Member Contributer

Well for starters this is not a return or exchange issue, it is a warranty issue. If you stated to MSS you want to return or exchange it then you put your self in a bad spot to begin with. Returns/exchanges are used if it is the wrong item or wrong size type of issues where they could put it back on the shelf and resell it. SInce it is used they can't do that, since it is defective they can't do that. Also most suppliers are unable to process warranty claims as those do have to go through the manufacturer.

Partially agree with what you are saying. I own an e-commerce site with a friend of mine. When one of our customers receives a defective product, we accept the return and exchange it immediately. We then work with the manufacture to replace the product or receive a credit. But we sold it and it's on us to make sure the customer has a working/non-defective product. Our return policy was devised based on researching the return policy of dozens of other well known websites and is pretty standard. Even in my own experiences in returning a defective product, I've never had to wait 6-8 weeks for a replacement. I return the product to where I bought it, they give me a new one.

Partially agree with what you are saying. I own an e-commerce site with a friend of mine. When one of our customers receives a defective product, we accept the return and exchange it immediately. We then work with the manufacture to replace the product or receive a credit. But we sold it and it's on us to make sure the customer has a working/non-defective product. Our return policy was devised based on researching the return policy of dozens of other well known websites and is pretty standard. Even in my own experiences in returning a defective product, I've never had to wait 6-8 weeks for a replacement. I return the product to where I bought it, they give me a new one.

What you're doing with your company is called taking responsibility.... Surely you should know better than expect other companies to do the same..... Myself, I'd glue it in. It's no different than how they do it in the first place, who's to say the new one won't do the same.... I have a Scorpion with no problems by the way, but if I did I fix it myself..... I used to assemble the helmets parts for the pilots in the service. Be sure you don't use any glues that will eat the liners.....

• Member Contributer

I didn't read everyone's responses here so I apologize if I'm being redundant, But I would contact Scorpion. They have very good CS and I've never had a problem dealing with them. MSS is merely the middle guy supplying you with the item. They're out of the loop at this point.

Once you say return or exchange that is all they will think about the rest of your call. Try calling back and say you need to get it warrantied out and see what they say. But like Seb posted you will probably be best off dealing with Scorp directly, I have heard some good reports also about their customer support.

Our helpdesk acts this way, some one can call and say X program is not working, from that point on it will be our ticket to fix even if the user then said because the laptop melted. Because they said our program was not working 1st that is the only thing they think of from that point out. Now if the user started off my with laptop melted which is the actual issue it would be directed to the proper group.

• Member Contributer

Be sure you don't use any glues that will eat the liners.....

Any suggestions?

I did contact Scorpion, both via phone and email with a photo of the problem. I'll post an update when I hear from them.

• Member Contributer

I had a problem with one of my Scala Rider Q2 units a few weeks after purchasing it. I never thought to contact the seller. I went straight to the manufacturer who asked me to describe the problem, agreed it was a defect, agreed it was within the warranty period, and sent me an advance replacement asking that I return the defective one. Maybe this approach will serve you well with Scorpion. Good luck!

Good to see your getting resolution..

On a similar note..

I have ordered from MSS several times over the last 3 years and never had a problem with anything from them..

If it doesnt say "in stock" you might as well consider it will take a week to get to your door atleast, Also If you order "Instock" Items at the same times as items they have to order first it is there decision to go ahead n ship what they have or wait for the entire order to ship it all at once..

I dont see where there is any issue in the first post that falls under MSS doing anything wrong at all.

• Member Contributer

I had my Scorpion EXO700 hanging on the wall (I know, bad idea) when it fell and broke the chin vent. I contacted Scorpion to buy replacement parts & they told me they could not sell the pieces to me, but if I sent it in they would fix it (for free). So I boxed it up and shipped it to them, i don't remeber how long the repair took, but it wasn't that long. They shipped it back to me in like new condition at no charge (except for the shipping to them). I was completely satisfied with their customer service, especially since it was my fault it was damaged. I was completely honest with them about what happened and they took care of it anyway. I know your situation is different, but I would expect the same results.

• Member Contributer

I dont see where there is any issue in the first post that falls under MSS doing anything wrong at all.

Seriously?

I guess I just look at it differently. If I buy a Sony TV from Best Buy tomorrow and two weeks later it stops displaying a picture, Best Buy isn't going to say "well, looks like you got a lemon, you better contact Sony!". They are either going to refund my money or give me a replacement. It's just standard to stand by a product you sold for at least a reasonable amount of time...at least in my humble opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just an update...

Scorpion finally got back to me and provided me with an RMA number. They promised the exchange would be handled in 24-48 hours after they received the helmet. They also failed to understand why MSS wouldn't just exchange the helmet and had no idea where the "6-8 weeks" number came from, but that's another story.

So, hopefully I'll have my replacement next week and all will be right with the world.

Thanks for letting me bi*$ch about it ;)

In other news and back to the EXO1000...despite this little hiccup, the helmet is AWESOME! I highly recommend it to anyone considering it...

From the MSS website:

Warranty Returns:

Most manufacturers offer an additional warranty period which cover against merchandise defects. To determine if an additional warranty is available for your item simply Contact Us. Please do not contact the manufacturer directly to file your claim. Merchandise, including a letter of explanation should be sent to:

Motorcycle Superstore

Attn: Warranties

501 Industry Rd. Suite 400

Louisville, KY 40208

Tires must meet the following qualifications for a warranty return:

•Tire must have a minimum of 1mm of tread depth

•Tire must not have any road hazard damage, including but not limited to:

◦Plugs, patches or repairs

◦Nails, screws, staples or holes

◦Liquid Sealers or liquid tire repair

Please Note - Warranty processing may take up to 8 weeks and is subject to the individual manufacture’s policies and discretion. Motorcycle Superstore cannot guarantee a refund, replacement or repair of the item. Manufacturer warranties do not cover items determined to be normal wear or due to customer negligence.

Archived