Givi top rack and trunk with OEM side cases?

ECX585

• Member Contributer

Sorry to post yet another luggage question, but I keep finding conflicting information.

My question is this: Can I use a Givi top rack and Givi trunk in conjunction with the OEM side racks and cases? (on a Sixth Gen)

Thanks as always.

• Member Contributer

I've heard that it's a no. I'm considering a top rack/case next winter. I just put the OEM side cases on, so it looks like I have to stick with OEM.

• Member Contributer

I've heard that it's a no. I'm considering a top rack/case next winter. I just put the OEM side cases on, so it looks like I have to stick with OEM.

Rumor has it that you can use the SW-Motech Alu-Rack (for mounting topcase) along with the OEM side cases. I much prefer the Givi rack though.

• Member Contributer

Rumor has it that you can use the SW-Motech Alu-Rack (for mounting topcase) along with the OEM side cases. I much prefer the Givi rack though.

You definitely can use a SW-Motech Alu-Rack and Givi V46 with the OEM sidecases. That was the configuration I ran for a while until I eventually sold the rack to a member here. Since I don't ride with a passenger I prefer to mount my V46 on a "Kanadian Ken" topcase mount, which in case you don't know moves the topcase further forward (over the passenger seat), rather than the OEM setup where the topcase sort of hangs off the back of the bike. Either way you go (OEM rack and topcase or SW-Motech with V46) the end result is pretty much the same although I don't know the difference in price between the two. And as I mentioned, you can also go with the Kanadian Ken mount if you want to change the mounting position of the topcase.

• Member Contributer

You definitely can use a SW-Motech Alu-Rack and Givi V46 with the OEM sidecases.

Thanks for that info. I'm assuming other Givi topcases would work as well? I don't want/need one as big as the V46.

• Member Contributer

I have the OEM hardbags and a Givi top case, using the Ventura rack universal mount. In other words, I have OEM side cases and a Ventura rack (which just happens to be used for a Givi topbox on occasion).

gallery_380_5241_319885.jpg

OEM sidebags and Givi topbox attached via Ventura Sportsrack

I am unsure what Givi model I have fitted at the moment, but I know the Givi E450N includes the same universal mounting plate which I am using here. The Givi mounting plate bolts onto the Ventura Sports rack.

Here is the kit list from Ventura:

• L-bracket: H120/B
  • Sports rack: SR12/B

Also, here is the Ventura web page showing all parts.

The way that this solution is fitted, is the OEM hardbag mounts go on first, then the grab rails go on top of that, and then the Ventura L-brackets go on top of that. I'm pretty sure I only had to use the stock bolts that came with the OEM hardbags.

The advantage of this solution is that I can switch between using a topbox, a soft bag, or just a sports grab rail in about 1 minute. It's lovely.

Please excuse the scratches in the sidebags. They're being repainted right now. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

You definitely can use a SW-Motech Alu-Rack and Givi V46 with the OEM sidecases.

Thanks for that info. I'm assuming other Givi topcases would work as well? I don't want/need one as big as the V46.

I really don't think the V46 is all that big, especially when compared to the 52 or 55 liter Givi cases, so you might want to take a look at a V46 in person before making a choice. As far as different cases working with the SW-Motech rack, I know there are a lot of different adapter plates for mounting various cases to various racks, so give the folks at Twisted Throttle (http://www.twistedthrottle.com) and see what they suggest.

• Member Contributer

Any chance one of you could post pictures of the Givi top case and rack system on a sixth gen? (Specifically pictures of how the rack installs)

From looking online and comparing the setup to that which is found on the fifth gens, I still don't understand why you couldn't use the Givi top rack with the OEM sides.

Thanks again.

• Member Contributer

You can also mount a Givi trunk to the OEM mount if you have the time to make a plate. That is my favorite setup so far. I also have the SW-Motech Alu-Rack with the Givi Monokey mount. I just didn't think it was sturdy enough to be used as a back-rest for my wife, that why I went down the OEM mount path.

gallery_10736_3456_1651776.jpg

At Pillsbury Crossing

• Member Contributer

how might one go about making a plate?

• Member Contributer

A VERY simple process. Find a piece of plate steel (or aluminum). Ensure that the plate is large enough to support the entire base plate of the trunk. Drill holes to attach metal plate to OEM mount and holes to attachment metal plate to trunk base plate. That's it. The biggest issue I had was coming off the $$ for the OEM mount, that is a pricey unit. I was lucky and found a used one here that did not come with the trunk. I might be able to take some pictures of it this weekend if you would like. In fact, I'll snap a couple pictures of both the SW-Moto and my setup, you tell me which is better.

• Member Contributer

I also forgot to mention, if you have the third lock cylinder from the OEM side cases, you can install that into the Givi trunk. I need only one key to open or remove any of my bags. I'm sure Twisted Throttle has the lock sets, and I know RL Motorcycles does.

• Member Contributer

A VERY simple process. Find a piece of plate steel (or aluminum). Ensure that the plate is large enough to support the entire base plate of the trunk. Drill holes to attach metal plate to OEM mount and holes to attachment metal plate to trunk base plate. That's it. The biggest issue I had was coming off the $$ for the OEM mount, that is a pricey unit. I was lucky and found a used one here that did not come with the trunk. I might be able to take some pictures of it this weekend if you would like. In fact, I'll snap a couple pictures of both the SW-Moto and my setup, you tell me which is better.

Thank you--I appreciate the info!

• 1 month later...

When you say OEM Mount, is that the Givi OEM Mount or the Honda OEM saddle bag mount?

• Member Contributer

When you say OEM Mount, is that the Givi OEM Mount or the Honda OEM saddle bag mount?

He's referring to the Honda OEM rear luggage rack. I've decided to take his advice and I'm in the process of forging a steel adapter plate to fit my Givi case with the Honda rack. I'll post pictures eventually.

He's referring to the Honda OEM rear luggage rack. I've decided to take his advice and I'm in the process of forging a steel adapter plate to fit my Givi case with the Honda rack. I'll post pictures eventually.

you guys are talking about the Trunk Mounting Bracket Color:NA

Part #:08L42-MCW-100

MSRP*$250.95?

How come you guys didn't go with the Honda's

Sport Touring Trunk (White / ' 06) 08L55-MCW-190 $399.95 ?

Is Givi Better?

• Member Contributer

MSRP*$250.95?

Is Givi Better?

Givi makes the Honda OEM bags so I guess its not better, the OEM trunk comes with the back rest pad where its an extra with Givi. However I think the Givi is a lot less than the OEM trunk and you can get it on colors other than black or white, so you save on the paint job as well.

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth I noticed that David Silver Spares sells the rear trunk mounting bracket for $216.

MSRP*$250.95?

Is Givi Better?

Givi makes the Honda OEM bags so I guess its not better, the OEM trunk comes with the back rest pad where its an extra with Givi. However I think the Givi is a lot less than the OEM trunk and you can get it on colors other than black or white, so you save on the paint job as well.

I'm using the GIVI trunk because I already have one from another bike--not as pretty, but a great case nonetheless.

I priced the HONDA rack at David Silver Spares, but after currency/customs/shipping, it was actually slightly cheaper ($259 to my door) from Mason City Honda http://www.masoncityhonda.com/default.asp

For what it's worth I noticed that David Silver Spares sells the rear trunk mounting bracket for $216.

They are also blowing out two Honda topcases for 95 lbs which is ridiculously cheap for that part. https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/special-offers/ . It costs $650 Canadian from my dealer and they said no they have no wiggle room on that price!

I'm even going to London in a couple months so I could have brought it back as luggage. Unfortunately the DSS ones are both red so I would have had to get it repainted which makes it no better than a regular unpainted Givi case to me.

But if someone has a red sixth gen and lives in Vancouver lemme know. I can probably bring one back for you!

• Member Contributer

They are also blowing out two Honda topcases for 95 lbs

Just so you know, the "british pound" (money) is not abbreviated to "lbs", it's referred to by its symbol "£".

US keyboards don't have that on the keys though, so if you're not in Europe, it basically has to be referred to as "pounds" and that's as good as you can get. Unless you fancy bringing up the special character window...but who can be bothered to do that?!

Just so you know, the "british pound" (money) is not abbreviated to "lbs", it's referred to by its symbol "£".

Wrong. It's "lbs" which is short for "London/British Sovereign". The "£" symbol is only used in Northern Ireland and on the Isle of Wight.

• 4 weeks later...

Wrong. It's "lbs" which is short for "London/British Sovereign". The "£" symbol is only used in Northern Ireland and on the Isle of Wight.

burn!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Guys.....I got to play with a torch and a grinder!!

A friend of mine lent me a hand and we forged a steel adapter plate so that I could use my Givi topcase with the OEM rack. This was my first attempt at metal-working, so go light on me!

Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions as well!

post-7388-095861100 1278381938_thumb.jpgpost-7388-091080100 1278382042_thumb.jpgpost-7388-090974300 1278382648_thumb.jpgpost-7388-083567800 1278382157_thumb.jpgpost-7388-009615600 1278382264_thumb.jpgpost-7388-092285100 1278382374_thumb.jpg

Archived