Tyre pressure

Guest Bigteddy

Guest Bigteddy

I have just bought my first VFR400, and I don't have a manual yet. Can anyone tell me what the correct tyre pressures should be for front and rear? And what kind of oil should I use (synthetic / semi-synthetic / normal)?

• Member Contributer

I have just bought my first VFR400, and I don't have a manual yet. Can anyone tell me what the correct tyre pressures should be for front and rear? And what kind of oil should I use (synthetic / semi-synthetic / normal)?

please tell the this is a joke! :cheerleader:

mobile 1 oil.. 10-40 or 15-50 or 5 -50 "made for cars"

look on the side of your tires!! max 42 psi.. best bet is about 36 psi front and back..

• Member Contributer

there are many threads here about oil.. please dont start another one :goofy:

in any case.. congrats on your nc30 :goofy:

welcome to the site!! glad to have you!!

post pictures!!! :biggrin:

:cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info. It's not a joke, everyone was a beginner sometime.

well.. if your a abeginer beginer.. please tell me you know how to ride??? i mean you now have a GREAT bike.. please dont crash it!! :cheerleader:

take your time and learn about the awesomeness of the vfr! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info. It's not a joke, everyone was a beginner sometime.

well.. if your a abeginer beginer.. please tell me you know how to ride??? i mean you now have a GREAT bike.. please dont crash it!! :cheerleader:

take your time and learn about the awesomeness of the vfr! :biggrin:

I've been riding around in all weather on a little CG125 for the last 9 years, so I've got the basics. I just have to get used to the power and the handling. I already love the bike, so I don't intend dropping it!

post-19713-126881569581_thumb.jpg

Your tire pressure should be 225kpa front and rear, 250kpa rear with passenger.

In a high revving engine like that I wouldn't put oil that's designed for use in cars. A very important motorcycle oil additive is a foam inhibitor. Oil starts foaming when too much air gets trapped in the oil. Foam is a poor lubricant.

• Member Contributer

there are many threads here about oil.. please dont start another one comp13.gif

in any case.. congrats on your nc30 bliss.gif

post pictures!!! cheerleader.gif

worthlesswithoutpics.gif

What about slick 50 I hear it s good for tires. Like he said check the tires and I always add couple of pounds.

• Member Contributer

Your tire pressure should be 225kpa front and rear, 250kpa rear with passenger.

In a high revving engine like that I wouldn't put oil that's designed for use in cars. A very important motorcycle oil additive is a foam inhibitor. Oil starts foaming when too much air gets trapped in the oil. Foam is a poor lubricant.

all i can say is.. after going to MMI and being a cycle tech who learned about oil at the school.. and the guys who had oil analized and posted on here.. mobil 1 oil nonmotorcycle specific does the job for 1/2 the price... personaly i NEVER buy oil "made for motorcycles" because the have never shown my why.. even the repsol sales guy couldnt tell me why...

read the oil threads and make the choice for yourself. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

there are many threads here about oil.. please dont start another one comp13.gif

in any case.. congrats on your nc30 bliss.gif

post pictures!!! cheerleader.gif

worthlesswithoutpics.gif

What about slick 50 I hear it s good for tires. Like he said check the tires and I always add couple of pounds.

DO NOT USE SLICK 50 OR OTHERS LIKE IT!!

its a bull crap teflon like additive that can build up and clog passage ways.!!

ergo KILLING your motor! there is so much crap out there that is false advertising !! +1.gif

like an engine "flush" all that is is pushing oil or coolant in reverse and there for often destroying oneway seals and chech springs.and the like.. all most promising to kill your motor just like my pals car.. he got lucky.. it was done at the dealer!!! every car company WILL void your warrenty if you get a flush job.. so the dealer had to pay for a new motor!

even the repsol sales guy couldnt tell me why...

I just explained why I do use motorcycle specific oils. +1.gif

When oil starts to foam it is not bad for the oil but for the engine. So when all things have settled again and the oil has turned from a foam phase to a liquid again you can send it in to have analysed and it will no doubt come out OK, but you better have the oil filter analysed too for particles.

I can't remember if Scootr also did tests on high revving engines or mostly slow revving diesels.

• Member Contributer

He's got pics so he must be real! That's a really cool bike! Good advice so far, but this thread is making me laugh!

+1.gif :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

even the repsol sales guy couldnt tell me why...

I just explained why I do use motorcycle specific oils.

When oil starts to foam it is not bad for the oil but for the engine. So when all things have settled again and the oil has turned from a foam phase to a liquid again you can send it in to have analysed and it will no doubt come out OK, but you better have the oil filter analysed too for particles.

I can't remember if Scootr also did tests on high revving engines or mostly slow revving diesels.

i got that part..

but i have never ever seen it,., not even when running with covers off to check stuff.. ..yes the oil flies out.. but i have never seen it foam up..

i have have had foam in locked up forks.. buts thats a another thread..

my point was.. when the oil sales rep for the company is trying to sell the shop new oil.. and cant tell me whats the difference..and makes a call and STILL cant tell me whats special about the motorcycle only stuff..then i know its a gimmic!

• Forum CEO

Please no bashing on the new guy! I think a few pointers on how to search the forum would come in handy, search box top right of every page is a good start. Those are really the most common questions asked on ... well any motorcycle forum and have been hashed over quite a few times

+1.gif

So please search first cause its probably been addressed

Oil - no not going to go there cause tis a trap, but each brand of tire is different use the PSI marked on the tire as a good baseline then change it for your own feel as you see fit but dont go over a above by more then 3-5 lbs.

• Member Contributer

Please no bashing on the new guy! I think a few pointers on how to search the forum would come in handy, search box top right of every page is a good start. Those are really the most common questions asked on ... well any motorcycle forum and have been hashed over quite a few times

+1.gif

So please search first cause its probably been addressed

Oil - no not going to go there cause tis a trap, but each brand of tire is different use the PSI marked on the tire as a good baseline then change it for your own feel as you see fit but dont go over a above by more then 3-5 lbs.

NOOOOOOOOO!! thats no fun!! :beatdeadhorse:

Glad I could give you guys a laugh. Sorry for bringing up the oil issue, I didn't know it was such a debated topic. Thanks for all the replies.

Archived