Spain vs Thailand

whitelightning

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where are your tires from?

Having lived in Thailand, and having visited Spain, and France. I'm not cutting Europe, but the Thai's are hard working people. I have no problem with most things manufactured there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having lived in Thailand, and having visited Spain, and France. I'm not cutting Europe, but the Thai's are hard working people. I have no problem with most things manufactured there.

I was afraid that this thread might be looked on as a Thai vs Spain cultural thing,it is not.Just a comparison of the two tires which is like stated above a dead in the water issue sense they will all be made in Thailand. beatdeadhorse.gifThe guy beating the horse is pretty COOL. goofy.gif

• Member Contributer

Ok, just checked again and mine says made in Thailand. Pretty sure the shop I bought it from gets his tires from Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky. For the price, I'll be very happy if I get 8,000 miles but more importantly I look forward to seeing how it handles. I'm running a Power on the front with the thought that they will wear out equally..

That was what I found on my last PR2/PP set, they ended up wearing out around the same time. First time that's happened for me.

+1.gif

Same for me, my PP/PR 2 sets ware out at the same time. Usually 3000-3500 miles a set!

On the Spain/Thailand thing, it looks as if all Spanish PR2's are Old stock and all future PR 2's with be produced in Thailand. +1.gif

From Consumer Reports:

More importantly, all highway tires with a DOT serial code must meet minimum government performance standards and major tire companies define and implement stringent quality control standards on their tires no matter where the tire is made.

Now that's more along the lines of what I'm expecting.. 3,000 to 3,500 miles a set. I'm sure the PP front will be cupped by then and I tend to abuse my rear tire with my throttle hand. I ride with a purpose, not just out cruising around so I don't expect to ever get 8,000+ miles out of a tire. It would be nice but I just don't think my riding style will allow it. I run my pressures low and I'm always hard on the gas. I avoid slabs like the plague too.. I guess only time will tell. That sure is a serious range on the same tire though... some say 8,000+ and others say 3,000+.. I think the reasons I mentioned are bigger factors than where the tires are produced. BR, what pressures do you run on the street?

As for the Spain/Thiland thing.. I would rather have fresh rubber from Thiland over old stock anyday. I really think a lot of you guys put way too much weight into where they're being made. It's Michelin.. do you really think they're quality control is any different just becuase it's a different plant?? They are one of the top tire manufactures for a reason..

When I said mine wore out at the same time, that was at about 8K mile. I guess we have different riding styles. :beatdeadhorse:

Ok, just checked again and mine says made in Thailand. Pretty sure the shop I bought it from gets his tires from Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky. For the price, I'll be very happy if I get 8,000 miles but more importantly I look forward to seeing how it handles. I'm running a Power on the front with the thought that they will wear out equally..

That was what I found on my last PR2/PP set, they ended up wearing out around the same time. First time that's happened for me.

+1.gif

Same for me, my PP/PR 2 sets ware out at the same time. Usually 3000-3500 miles a set!

On the Spain/Thailand thing, it looks as if all Spanish PR2's are Old stock and all future PR 2's with be produced in Thailand. +1.gif

From Consumer Reports:

More importantly, all highway tires with a DOT serial code must meet minimum government performance standards and major tire companies define and implement stringent quality control standards on their tires no matter where the tire is made.

Now that's more along the lines of what I'm expecting.. 3,000 to 3,500 miles a set. I'm sure the PP front will be cupped by then and I tend to abuse my rear tire with my throttle hand. I ride with a purpose, not just out cruising around so I don't expect to ever get 8,000+ miles out of a tire. It would be nice but I just don't think my riding style will allow it. I run my pressures low and I'm always hard on the gas. I avoid slabs like the plague too.. I guess only time will tell. That sure is a serious range on the same tire though... some say 8,000+ and others say 3,000+.. I think the reasons I mentioned are bigger factors than where the tires are produced. BR, what pressures do you run on the street?

As for the Spain/Thiland thing.. I would rather have fresh rubber from Thiland over old stock anyday. I really think a lot of you guys put way too much weight into where they're being made. It's Michelin.. do you really think they're quality control is any different just becuase it's a different plant?? They are one of the top tire manufactures for a reason..

When I said mine wore out at the same time, that was at about 8K mile. I guess we have different riding styles. :beatdeadhorse:

I think tire pressure has a lot to do with it as well. What pressures do you run?

So BR get's 3,500 miles out of a PP/PR2 set and you get 8,000 out of the same on the same bike.. :huh: I'm sure the type of riding definately impacts the milage but that's a pretty big difference. Either way it sounds like my thought's are correct with the front PP wearing out about equal to the PR2 rear which is what I wanted. If I get 8,000 miles out of them I will be very surprised. Honestly, anything over 3,000 and I'll be pretty happy and as long as they perform well I'll buy another set later this summer. I'm all about front end grip and feel. I like the front to feel planted. Not a big fan of sliding the front.. As for the rear, it doesn't bother me when it moves around a little. This in combination with my thoughts about the life of each tire are what make me believe the sport/sport touring combo should work very well for me. It sounds like it works well for others so now I'm wondering why I didn't try it sooner. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

+1.gif

From Consumer Reports:

I think tire pressure has a lot to do with it as well. What pressures do you run?

So BR get's 3,500 miles out of a PP/PR2 set and you get 8,000 out of the same on the same bike.. :huh: I'm sure the type of riding definately impacts the milage but that's a pretty big difference. Either way it sounds like my thought's are correct with the front PP wearing out about equal to the PR2 rear which is what I wanted. If I get 8,000 miles out of them I will be very surprised. Honestly, anything over 3,000 and I'll be pretty happy and as long as they perform well I'll buy another set later this summer. I'm all about front end grip and feel. I like the front to feel planted. Not a big fan of sliding the front.. As for the rear, it doesn't bother me when it moves around a little. This in combination with my thoughts about the life of each tire are what make me believe the sport/sport touring combo should work very well for me. It sounds like it works well for others so now I'm wondering why I didn't try it sooner. +1.gif

I'm sure they'll work great. For the record I do a lot of commuting and some longer trips with lotsa highway miles, so it was a combination of the front wearing down at the same time the rear got too squared off for my liking, plus I'm captain slow. I'm typically running them at 38-41psi now.

• Member Contributer
plus I'm captain slow.

Hey, you can't take my name. This debate has nothing to do with race or cultures. It's a thread to determine if there is any validity to the fact that Thailand manufactured PR2's get low mileage compared to their spanish counterparts. Like others have said it's a moot point as all will be made in Thailand now so I guess we can either be satisfied with Thailand manufactured Michelins or find another brand. Personally I'll reluctantly continue to ride on PR2's as long as I get decent mileage out of this set. My goal is at least 9K.

+1.gif

From Consumer Reports:

I'm sure they'll work great. For the record I do a lot of commuting and some longer trips with lotsa highway miles, so it was a combination of the front wearing down at the same time the rear got too squared off for my liking, plus I'm captain slow. I'm typically running them at 38-41psi now.

Cool.. thanks for the info. Your pressures are high IMO, even for commuting.. I typically run 34F-32R and I've been told I should lower them a little bit with the Michelin. I'm curious now to hear what BR runs for pressures.

plus I'm captain slow.

Hey, you can't take my name. This debate has nothing to do with race or cultures. It's a thread to determine if there is any validity to the fact that Thailand manufactured PR2's get low mileage compared to their spanish counterparts. Like others have said it's a moot point as all will be made in Thailand now so I guess we can either be satisfied with Thailand manufactured Michelins or find another brand. Personally I'll reluctantly continue to ride on PR2's as long as I get decent mileage out of this set. My goal is at least 9K.

The voice of reason fing02.giffing02.gif and the new paint job looks great

Where do you guys think that most of the rubber used in tires in the world comes from.........Thailand and countries next to it. If anyone knows about rubber I would think the Thais whould be a good bet. I wouldn't be surprised if almost all tires will eventually be made in Thailand or countries next to it. As it is now, 99% of the best bicycle tires and tubes and many other rubber products are made in Thailand, including such big brands like Continental, Vittoria, Hutchinson and Specialized.

Concluding that Thailand made tires are automatically inferior to the same model made in Europe is like the same goofy notion that the Aztec and Nazca structures and giagantic figures visible only from the sky in South America could only be been made by Aliens from outer space. I would not hesitate to put Thailand made PR2CTs on my bike.

Anyway, if there is indeed a difference in specification between a Spanish and Thai made PR2, then a rider can have grounds to sue the company for product misrepresentation.........if the rider can prove it.

JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

My goal is at least 9K.

That's a lofty goal. I got 4200 out of the PR2 I just took off the rear (running 42 psi).

Darn I got 4500 out of the rear bridgestone Bt016

• Member Contributer
plus I'm captain slow.

:fing02: Ok, I'm Captain Slow-er.

I didn't check the country on my previous set so the mileage data is useless. I actually don't think they'll be any difference between the Asian/EU manufactured tires.

Cool.. thanks for the info. Your pressures are high IMO, even for commuting.. I typically run 34F-32R and I've been told I should lower them a little bit with the Michelin. I'm curious now to hear what BR runs for pressures.

I used to run 36-39 but bumped it up lately since I'm doing so much highway mileage. 34f-32r sounds like track pressures but in reverse. I used to run about 32-35 f-r at the track.

Well I live in Spain... have done for nigh on 10 years now... and honestly and with all due respect, I think I'm qualified to comment and critically analyze Spain's overall level of quality in manufacturing... and I'm afraid to say that it is highly inconsistent. There is a lot of corner cutting over here and the word "corruption" is just an everyday reality... if they are meeting standards I couldn't be sure they aren't rigging things... audits and controls, like BR said, are they only times they pull their socks up, and they get prior warning of visits so... it's all rigged... there are endless cases of faulty merchandise due to negligence and substandard practices in the workplace... housing construction leaves a lot to be desired... I mean, jeez, workplace health and safety (I used to get obligatory courses in H&S 20 years ago back in Australia), has only just recently become a going concern here...

I'm not saying that Spain doesn't have some world-leading competence in certain fields, or more precisely certain players in certain fields, but it is far from consistent. The typical image of Spain in Europe is cheap and nasty and is fairly well justified on many fronts.

On the other hand, most Asian countries are more than well geared up and accustomed to mass production... OK so they also produce cheap plastic junk, but they do it damn well!!

In Spain, manufacturing plants of this nature are on the decline... car and mc manufacturers are closing down local plants by the dozen...

But all this being said, it really does come down to each and every individual manufacturing plant... some are highly conscientious regarding quality control and others are just out to make as much money as possible before the goose that lays the golden egg gets the chop.

In the states, and Canada I suppose, you are all highly proactive as consumers of end products... you exercise your rights much more energetically than any other country using collective power and influence on providers. In Spain this mentality is rarer than Dodo birds. You either fry others or get fried over here. When you get fried, you just moan and make a fuss, but you don't get together with other disgruntled consumers and put collective pressure on anyone... so the consumer ends up paying in the end... many of the unions are on the company payroll. And if you get inspired and attempt to make moves to complain via official avenues, the bureaucracy is second to that of India... si you soon get the wind taken out of you.

Hell, I stopped working at a University Pathology Research Lab because I feared for my health due to the substandard state of the 50 year old installations and lack of personal security from highly toxic and cancer-causing agents... they were using the incorrect filters for 10 times the recommended time-period... it was a joke... and Universities are supposed to be the pinnacle of excellence!! They paid me every so often instead of every month like most people... no contract... Spain I can assure you, can be a real farse, almost mafia-esque.

Rant over.

Sirimiri, you will pardon me but many of my Spanish friends agree with me on this 100%. Thing is, not being Spanish, it can seem offensive coming from an outsider, but jsut for the record, I love living here, so I accept it to a certain degree and get on with things, slowly trying to implement small changes in mentality...

• Member Contributer

My goal is at least 9K.

That's a lofty goal. I got 4200 out of the PR2 I just took off the rear (running 42 psi).

Darn I got 4500 out of the rear bridgestone Bt016

I got 10,715 out of my last set of PR2's, so I figure 9K isn't an unattainable goal.

On a side note, people still seem to be taking this post as a jab at Thailand. Auspañol, it has absolutely nothing to do with the country that the tires are made in. If the reports were that the Spainish ones were bad and the Thailand ones were good we'd be doing this same thread but looking for different answers. It's an attempt to find something conclusive to either back up or dispel this internet rhumor. Don't take it personally bud.

On a side note, people still seem to be taking this post as a jab at Thailand. Auspañol, it has absolutely nothing to do with the country that the tires are made in. If the reports were that the Spainish ones were bad and the Thailand ones were good we'd be doing this same thread but looking for different answers. It's an attempt to find something conclusive to either back up or dispel this internet rhumor. Don't take it personally bud.

On the contrary... I'm not taking anything personally whatsoever... if you read my post properly you'll realize I'm actually stating that there is no real reason why the Spanish PPs are going to be any better... it's actually highly likely they could be worse.

Although, I do disagree on one point, I believe it has everything to do with the country in question, as after all: what is a culture? It is nothing more than the sum of all the generalizations that can be applied to said country... so while it can be risky to generalize, a "culture" is precisely that, and in general I can't see why a Spanish-made tyre would be any better or any worse than a Thai-made one, possibly Thailand has the advantage in some ways.

This does not in any way, shape or form, imply that there are any racist tones to my post... nor that I have understood there are any racist attitudes in yours... the opposite holds true... whilst I admit that many things over here leave a lot to be desired, there are thousands of other arguments in Spain's favour... I was merely commenting on my observations and real-life experience on a local front...

No offense intended or inferred. It's just fact.

Discussing things is the only way to improve them.

Cheers!!

I ordered mine from the moon and they are by far the best (I think it's more then likely the "Space age polymers") they are also much lighter due to the lack of gravity.

:rolleyes: don't forget to run helium, it really helps with the wheelies..

I think your already running them to Low especially the rear and I would NOT recommend lowering whatsoever, in fact put some air in that rear. Unless your on the track there's absolutely nothing positive resulting from that low of a pressure in the rear on a VFR on the street! :rolleyes:

I almost always run 36/42 as a general point on all tires for street riding the VFR.

IMO running 32 psi in the rear will only generate more heat & ware out your tires quicker! I don't think I've EVER run below 39 psi on the rear no matter how hard I'm rippen twisties.

BR

I think your already running them to Low especially the rear and I would NOT recommend lowering whatsoever, in fact put some air in that rear. Unless your on the track there's absolutely nothing positive resulting from that low of a pressure in the rear on a VFR on the street! :rolleyes:

I almost always run 36/42 as a general point on all tires for street riding the VFR.

IMO running 32 psi in the rear will only generate more heat & ware out your tires quicker! I don't think I've EVER run below 39 psi on the rear no matter how hard I'm rippen twisties.

BR

Excellent advise I run between 40-42 psi rear 35 front

BR

Thanks BR.. For the record, I haven't been riding the VFR at those pressures but that's what I typically run on my other bikes and it's worked very well for me. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with pressure in Metzler M3's and the pressures I mentioned were perfect for me, my setup and that tire on my last few bikes (GSXR1000, CBR1000RR, Superduke, ect..) I understand the VFR is a heavier bike and totally different than what I'm use to so I will definately consider your recommendation. On the track I ran Supercorsa's at 28F-28R cold and they felt perfect after 2 laps. I recently talked to a Michelin rep at a local dealer and he's the one that recommended lowering my pressures for maximum grip and performamce. He said the PP especially needs to be hot to work properly and running higher pressure will not allow them to run in the correct temp range. I also thought my 34-32 was as low as I would want to go on the street as they feel a little mushy until they build up some heat but he had me thinking. The reason I run higher pressure in the front is purely based on feel after countless hours of experimenting. 34 seems to be the lowest I can go with the front without causing excessive cupping or a mushy feel from the front end. I've run as lo as 28 in the rear with the M3's and once it was hot it worked awesome. Anyway, thanks for the input and I will definately post up my results once the season gets going and I have a chance to try my new to me VFR and Michelins.

I have to keep reminding myslef that I'm not riding a lightweight superbike anymore.. I've never been concerned about tire life before, it was always about maximum grip for me but I'm trying to change my thought process.

I got 10,715 out of my last set of PR2's, so I figure 9K isn't an unattainable goal.

That's great life. I don't commute or ride straight roads on mine at all, it's all twisties. At 4200 miles the wear bars were erased on the sides but I still had good tread in the middle. If I did commute or ride freeways on it, I have no doubt I could get a lot more mileage. Conversely, when I used a PP on the rear, it still wore out in the middle first. So I think I get somewhat better mileage out of the PR2 than the PP, but the PR2 seems to hold a better profile over the life of the tire for the type of riding I do.

By the way, holler at me when you get your bike back together if you feel like a Saturday jaunt.

That's great life. I don't commute or ride straight roads on mine at all, it's all twisties. At 4200 miles the wear bars were erased on the sides but I still had good tread in the middle. If I did commute or ride freeways on it, I have no doubt I could get a lot more mileage. Conversely, when I used a PP on the rear, it still wore out in the middle first. So I think I get somewhat better mileage out of the PR2 than the PP, but the PR2 seems to hold a better profile over the life of the tire for the type of riding I do.

By the way, holler at me when you get your bike back together if you feel like a Saturday jaunt.

I would wet myself to get 4200 miles let alone 9k out of any tire! :blink:

The PR-2 rear gave me a 50% mileage improvement over the PP rear and that gets me to between 3-3.5k a set(PP/PR2)and that is huge to me as I've already been through 28+ sets of tires on my Vtec! :rolleyes:

Hell that's around $8,000.00 for A TIRE BILL on one bike! :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

BR

Excellent advise I run between 40-42 psi rear 35 front

I can say from personal experience that PR2's do not handle well at too low of tire pressures. I ran a front for a few hundred miles at like 29 psi (I forgot to air it up and then was on the road and didn't have a chance). It felt a little bit worse, but also caused it to wear VERY quickly, and somewhat unevenly.

These are street tires that are designed with street heat in mind, I find they handle great at 36/42.

I would wet myself to get 4200 miles let alone 9k out of any tire! :fing02:

The PR-2 rear gave me a 50% mileage improvement over the PP rear and that gets me to between 3-3.5k a set(PP/PR2)and that is huge to me as I've already been through 28+ sets of tires on my Vtec! :blink:

Hell that's around $8,000.00 for A TIRE BILL on one bike! :wheel:

All the VFR members that need a job should start a web site that sells tires.We could almost make a go of it with you along.

Archived