Toro! Toro! Toro!

Veefer800Canuck

Yeah, I bet you thought I bought a supercharger kit, eh? :goofy:

I wish that more than you do Bucky! :goofy:

Nope, just some mundane PAIR blockoff plates from the BoostMeister himself. :goofy:

Installation is fairly straightforward, but since we all love pics, here you go:

PAIR reed cover before removal, you can see I had already blocked it off the El Cheapo way some time ago with a rubber cap.

The air injection pump and associated hoses had found their way to the dustbin long ago as well:

gallery_554_564_1898836.jpg

After removal of the reed cage cover and the reed cages also, those "screens" stay in place.

Those of you with "cleaning issues" might want to pretty them up, but I thought it was a waste of time:

gallery_554_564_1325935.jpg

Upon taking out the reed cages, you are presented with the following, which I have already disassembled.

The one on the right has been stripped down and is ready for reinstallation without all the reed hardware:

gallery_554_564_1008803.jpg

Put the empty reed holders with gaskets back in and you're ready for some beautiful anodized hardware to cover them:

gallery_554_564_841884.jpg

gallery_554_564_1330953.jpg

For the front cylinders, it's lather, rinse, repeat, though you will have to loosen the oil cooler to access the cylinder head cover.

And when you're done, you should have this pile 'o parts leftover, plus the two stock reed covers of course:

gallery_554_564_1017561.jpg

If you are doing this for the first time, don't forget to cap off the bottom airbox holes where the air pump draws it's air from, else you will suck some dirty outside unfiltered air underneath your airfilter, thence into your engine! :goofy:

What impact does this have on your tuneup, if any?

It basically eliminates or reduces popping on deceleration with an aftermarket exhaust.

Basically, the PAIR system injects fresh air into the exhaust for emissions purposes.

Also, if one were doing dyno testing and tuning of a Power Commander, the PAIR system would probably muck with your air/fuel readings in the exhaust, which would sabotage all your tuning efforts with the PC.

• Member Contributer

What impact does this have on your tuneup, if any?

It basically eliminates or reduces popping on deceleration with an aftermarket exhaust.

Basically, the PAIR system injects fresh air into the exhaust for emissions purposes.

Also, if one were doing dyno testing and tuning of a Power Commander, the PAIR system would probably muck with your air/fuel readings in the exhaust, which would sabotage all your tuning efforts with the PC.

I was doing some checking a while back and used a meter to check the voltage at the solenoid valve and found that it only operates below 160 degrees. Also, it only operates when the throttle is closed. It helps heat up the O2 sensors and cat. Once the bike is over 160, they both should be plenty hot. Really you could leave it connected during a dyno. I believe other bikes could operate differant, thus the Dynojet blanket statement.

I ditched mine PAIR just to have one less thing to fail.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

For the front cylinders, it's lather, rinse, repeat, though you will have to loosen the oil cooler to access the cylinder head cover.

FYI, this is not required on 6th-generation VFR's. However, you need to bend the horn up out of the way to get an 8mm socket in there.

Also, I could not remove the reed valve screws on mine. They do not use a bolt and nut method of retaining the reed valve, but rather a phillips head screw which basically refuses to back out, even with the use of an impact screwdriver; the metal is so soft the head of the screw just strips.

The solution for me was to get out my angle grinder and grind down the screw thread and reed valve plate until it was so thin that I could just prise it off with a pair of pliers. I had to do this for all reed valves! You need to be careful not to grind the rubber gasket too much though... :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Bastige!!! :warranty:

Why me Bastige? :laughing6-hehe:

On another note - I just bumped past 1,000 posts! Pretty tame for a guy who has been a member since 2002!

On another note - I just bumped past 1,000 posts! Pretty tame for a guy who has been a member since 2002!

2002 huh, wasn't that around the time that VFRD came into being? Were you on the 'big list' prior to that?

I joined here in 2003 as v4racer, but my id was lost in a server crash in 2005 or so.

• Member Contributer

2002 huh, wasn't that around the time that VFRD came into being? Were you on the 'big list' prior to that?

Nah, I do remember the list though, and I also remember some other V4 yahoo forum. Did it combine with VFRD in the end?