180 Rear Tire on a '97 - Doable?

etownviffer

Hello:

I came across someone selling a new set of Continental Force Max tires. It looks like a possible good buy, but the problem is that the rear tire is a 180/55-17. I know the recommended rear tire size is 170/60-17, but the price is right for this set. I've done a search in the forums about running a 180 on the rear, and the responses have run through a range of answers such as: "not recommended", "not a problem", "it'll fit", "doesn't turn-in well", "steers like a HD with a flat"

I don't mind a little more effort when I crank it over into a turn, but the last thing that I don't need is the tire coming loose at speed and throwing me off. The latter a concern due to the possibility of the tire's width being too wide for the rim's 5" width.

I welcome all opinions on the above, and would like some concrete safety-related reasons for either mounting a 180 or not.

Thanks in advance to all.

Marty

It will fit, but it's not optimal for sure.

I just scored a great deal on a set of Conti Motion tires in 120/170 from www.denniskirk.com - $180 shipped, check it out! :fing02:

I just checked the website, but I'm not seeing the price that you paid. It would be a great deal for me, since DK is only about an hour's drive north of where I'm living.

Marty

I just scored a great deal on a set of Conti Motion tires in 120/170 from www.denniskirk.com - $180 shipped, check it out! :fing02:

I just checked the website, but I'm not seeing the price that you paid. It would be a great deal for me, since DK is only about an hour's drive north of where I'm living.

Marty

You're right, I lied. I paid less than that!! :blush:

Go to the site, type "Conti Motion" in the search bar at the top right.

170/60-17 is $82.99, 120/70-17 is $62.99. Tire fee of $5 per tire, free shipping. Total = $155.98

If you go in person, you'll save the $10 tire fee, but you'll have to pay tax...

Marty

170/60-17 is $82.99, 120/70-17 is $62.99. Tire fee of $5 per tire, free shipping. Total = $155.98

If you go in person, you'll save the $10 tire fee, but you'll have to pay tax...

"I see, I see" says the blind man!

Thanks for the pointers. What a great deal! Did a quick check on the taxes (~$10 @ 7%), not to mentioned the price of gas there and back. They getcha coming and going. Still a great deal.

Turns out the guy selling the set with the 180, is a cycle tech who works on the side. He mounts tires too. Perhaps I can get a deal on his set with free mounting thrown in. Even so, I'm still a little concerned about the 180 on a 5" rim.

• Member Contributer

Marty

"I see, I see" says the blind man!

Thanks for the pointers. What a great deal! Did a quick check on the taxes (~$10 @ 7%), not to mentioned the price of gas there and back. They getcha coming and going. Still a great deal.

Turns out the guy selling the set with the 180, is a cycle tech who works on the side. He mounts tires too. Perhaps I can get a deal on his set with free mounting thrown in. Even so, I'm still a little concerned about the 180 on a 5" rim.

I have the Conti Motion rear, and it's a pretty good deal. Temps have been in the 40s here lately (cold for louisiana!) but it sticks well. The profile is such that you won't get maximum lean angle all the way to the edge of the tire (I don't think it is possible, the arc radius looks like it changes near the edges - think decreasing radius turn, and you'll get what I'm saying). Just my thoughts. Have a couple hundred miles on it, and it works well in the cool weather. Can't wait to see how it does in the warm!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

search is your friend...

I've posted on this as well...

I'm a sick basterd though --- :fing02:

180 + 190 = PURE tire usage on the front...

I love 'em both, and I'll never go back...

good luck on what ever you decide...

• Member Contributer

My ugly bike's got a 180 on the back and I'm not sure if it is even possible to use the full tire on the 5in rim because the profile is so squished. . . that being said I don't notice any handling issues, but I've never ridden it with a 170.

Archived