Conti Sport Attacks or Road Attacks?

coopduc

• Member Contributer

I have a choice between these 2 Conti models. Since I work for the company the price is not an issue and feel the need to support the home team, but have no experince with either one. I'm a fairly conservative rider (no knee dragging for these old bones!)and live in Michigan, land of straight roads and get into the twisties only a few times per year during road trips to North Carolina or Deals Gap, etc., and will try to get to Tmac this May. Also, I rarely ride 2 up and never on long trips.

I currently have Metzlers on and the biggest problem is squaring them off, due to the lack of twisties in suburban Detroit.

My gut tells me the Road Attacks are better for me, any experience you have with them is welcome.

I am on my second set of Road Attacks and love them, Great tire decent wear, have never had a slip in the twisties and have even done a track day on them with no problems.

The first set of tires I bought for my '04 VFR were Conti Road Attacks. I liked them very much. They handled very well, turn in was quick, they were pretty sticky for sport-touring tires and I got a lot of miles out of the set. When the rear was worn to the cords I replaced it with a Sport Attack, which gripped great but wore much faster.

I did notice the front Road Attack hardened up a bit and got a little less sticky by the end of its life, but that was also near the end of my riding season here when the roads are not as warm. If anything I'd just say the Road Attacks need more warm-up time.

If you have the ability to mix and match, I suggest a Sport Attack front for grip and a Road Attack rear for tread life. I don't think you'll have any issues with a set like that, as their tread designs are very similar if not exactly the same.

• Member Contributer

your gut is right go with rd attacks. sport attacks are a wast IMO expect half the life. i burned through two sets of rd attacks 2 seasons ago great tires i even did a track day on them.they will sq off just the same as your metzlers. pirelli corsa III are about the best tire for even wear that iv found however dont expect to get much life from them.

the best all around tire for a vfr is piolt rds 2ct. if your still running stock metzlers u will find any tire is better than them.

I have a choice between these 2 Conti models. Since I work for the company the price is not an issue and feel the need to support the home team, but have no experince with either one. I'm a fairly conservative rider (no knee dragging for these old bones!)and live in Michigan, land of straight roads and get into the twisties only a few times per year during road trips to North Carolina or Deals Gap, etc., and will try to get to Tmac this May. Also, I rarely ride 2 up and never on long trips.

I currently have Metzlers on and the biggest problem is squaring them off, due to the lack of twisties in suburban Detroit.

My gut tells me the Road Attacks are better for me, any experience you have with them is welcome.

I used to work for conti tire till they closed the plant in Charlotte NC and the "Home team" never did give us severance packagepissed.gifBut back to the tire the type of riding you mentioned above the Michelin P road two is what you should use conti will made it if you don't buy a couple MC tires.

• Member Contributer

My wife has a CBR600 and runs Road Attacks. The first set lasted an even 10k miles (credit due to the combination of light weight & regular less-than-aggressive riding). BOTH tires lasted till 10k miles. And she is now on her second set.

I can't think of the last time I had a matched pair of tires wear out at the same time.

Anyway, she's happy with them, and they seemed fine whenever I could sneak out her bike for a jaunt.

HTH,

Ron

• Member Contributer

Awesome, thanks all. I'm going with the Road Attacks.

Another +1 for the Road Attacks. Good choice. Good blend of traction and wear. Pretty good in wet as well.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell ky I had a 2007 yamaha R6s and rn road attacks on it. I use to rail on it hard because KY and TN is like the center of great riding roads. I used to ride Land between the lakes, 101st parkway, Cherohola skyway, Chattanooga, and the gap. These tires give me a lot of confidence in every condition pretty much. I run them now on my 95 VFR and I love them. I want to try PP front and PR2 rear though after I wear these tires out..

• Member Contributer

hi there,i ran 2 sets of road attacks for approx.7000 miles liked them a lot,my supplier only had a front r.a. at my last change but had a pair of avons so im using them ,they are satisfactory as well. :fing02:

• 2 months later...

I have used the Road Attacks for about a year now and they seem to be a good compromise for sport and touring.

The front tire profile seems to make the steering more neutral. I've noticed that when riding cold (40 to 50

degrees)they seem not to stick very well. But when they have heated up well they stick really good and give

you good confidence. But beware when they are cool or whe your riding in colder temperatures. I have also

rode them when its been raining rather hard, and they really feel good. I would have thought that they would

have moved around a lot more due to the lack of siping in the tread. Over-all I like them and would buy them

again, especially with their price point.

• Member Contributer

I'm planning a 3500+ mile trip later this year and don't want to square off expensive tires so I'll be trying the Road Attacks out for that trip. It will probably be about 1k of slab, the rest in the twisties at at/close to the speed limit with a VTX buddy. I won't have a passenger but I will be loaded down with baggage for two weeks. I'm anxious to see if they wear as long as some reports I've heard. :tour:

• Member Contributer

I have a Sport Attack front and a Road Attack rear. I have been using Road Attacks from before I even owned a VFR because they seem to last forever. I accidentally bought a Sport Attack for the front but have no regrets. I took it to Dillon, Co for the Summer Summit meet last summer and am still running it with little indication of wear. I like the turn in on the Road Attacks better though as it is more predictable but have never had any slipping issues and once I got used to the Sport Attack can't say that I wouldn't recommend either. :tour:

• Member Contributer

No experience yet with the Road Attacks, my last experience with Conti was the TKV-12 on the 86 VFR. Just recently purchased the Conti Motions, and if the Attacks are stickier, they must be AMAZING. The Conti Motions are, at about 1000 miles, in a word, GREAT. At 160 bucks for the set, I can put the VFR over to the edges of these tires with no issue. Cant quite scuff the last couple mm, but that may be a profile issue. It's not for lack of trying.

Based on this, I would say your choices are god whichever way you turn (pardon the pun)!

Cheers!

Archived