My new Scorpion EXO1000

wrestler

• Member Contributer

I had been eying the new Scorpion EXO 1000 helmet for some time. The price kept me away

but the built in sun visor and the partial tilt mechanism on the main visor kept drawing me

back to check out the progress toward a reasonable price. Well, last month I spied a sale at

Cycle Gear in Marietta, Ga and I ran right in. I had sampled a couple of guys on the site who

had one. Their reviews were very positive. Well, here's mine.

I bought the RPM model. I was inclined to go darth vader with my gear but a second though

sent me to seek a bit of color. The RPM design incorporates enough deep black to be compatible.

It is a great helmet. No question. I can't help but compare it to the only one I have ever known,

the Scorpion EXO 700. It is my first ever so I think there will never be another like that for me.

The 1000 is a bit heavier. It is certainly louder because of the ventilation.

There is the trade-off, less ventilation, or more wind noise. I do find inclined to put on the ear plugs

more quickly with the 1000. There was some criticism by others of the way the chin vent is designed.

It seems to open in the wrong direction. I found, to my surprise that it's opening up permits

the air to rush in without noise or too much force. I do find that the vents on the 1000 are much

easier to manage. Fastening the strap is a bit more cumbersome than I am used to with the 700.

The sizing of the helmet runs larger. I think this must be because of the engineering to accommodate

the built in visor. This meant that I had to send it back at first. I could get the large on my head but

I was suffering for the privilege. For some reason the designers felt compelled to overdo the RPM

theme by giving the pads a rather gaudy replication of the outside graphics. At some point I will

get a solid interior.

Over all I like this helmet a lot. But I cannot say I like it better than my 700. But it will certainly

be nice not to have to change visors because the sun goes down or comes up. For the price

and the features, you can't beat either of these babies. IMO. I may not have said anything new

to add to the conversation but I have now said my piece.

• Member Contributer

Sorry but your word to picture ratio is too high to keep my attention defecit disorder at bay. Post a picture if you can. I like my Scorpian EX400.

• 6 months later...

How is the air pump system? Better or Sam as good cheek pads?

How is the fog performance in cold and/or rainy conditions?

Air there noticible air leaks around the shield?

The air pump allows you to "snug" the check pads after the helmet is on, I rarely pump mine up.

The no fog worked for me in all conditions and I never had an issue last year in the colder weather or rain.

Air leaks? can't really comment. Unless it's raining I almost always have the visor cracked open.

I haven't had issues with the visor flying open when I do shoulder checks at high speed . Both my HJC and in it's second year my KBC the visor would fly up when doing shoulder checks over 130km/hr.

How dark is the added visor? Like can you ditch sun glasses under your helmet with them? I'd bet it sould be great under a smoke shield. Florida sun is VERY bright.

How dark is the added visor? Like can you ditch sun glasses under your helmet with them? I'd bet it sould be great under a smoke shield. Florida sun is VERY bright.

I wear glasses and it's like throwing on a normal pair of sunglasses when you flip down the internal visor. They have a few types to choose from http://www.newenough.com/street/helmets_eyewear/replacement_shields/scorpion/speedview_sunvisor_for_exo_100_helmets.html . I find it great on the morning commute, I ride west along the lake then loop north and eastward into the sun and the drop down visor is very convenient.

exo1000-rpm-gold.jpg

Metric! Metric?? This is the US sonny. We don't use no stinkin Killometres! :laughing6-hehe:

But seriously, Wrestler, do you find that the sun visor doesn't come down far enough? I tried one on and it seemed like there was an awful lot that the internal flip down visor didn't cover. It made me sad because I love Scorpion stuff.

• Member Contributer

I bought the EXo1000 a few seasons ago and got a really good deal from a local dealer that was letting them go at cost, think I paid $200. I went in not even looking at helmets......but left with one anyways.

Good helmet. Hot in the summer time, but keeps you warm in the winter. Visor seals up very well. I never use the air pump to snug up the fit, she fits my face very well without it. Drop down tinted visor works great and this is the #1 reason I bought the helmet. Fit and finish is really good, and it makes my HJC AC-12 feel super cheap. I wish they would drop the air pump system to save some weight......she's a heavy helmet and can wear on you on longer trips.

Good looking helmet Wrestler and I like the colors.

How are the bags working for you?

I like the looks of that Scorpion helmet very much and is usually one I'd pick up from the dealer's display to look at closely. The speedo graphics looks much better than the recent designs with gothic letterings and wild graphics and paisleys found on most teenage hoodie clothing these days.

Only detail I don't like on that model is the two silver air vents at sides of the chin piece of the helmet. The burst pattern and bright silver color brings too much attention to it and IMO the shape of the vent piece looks ugly....reminds me of something kinda unpleasant looking that I would rather not mention :warranty: ....I wonder if that silver plastic trim can be taken off permanently without hurting the helmet?? Maybe give it the "Timeh" flat black paint job treatment to make it fade into the rest of the helmet instead??

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I bought the EXO 1000 a few weeks ago (in flat black) and so far I love it. I have to admit that it does seem larger than the average helmet, I was a little concerned that it looked funny on my head, but my wife gave me the thumbs up so I kept it. :blink:

The wind noise is greatly reduced if you use the air pump system correctly (at least it did for me) and it certainly helps the fit quite a bit. I could fit into a large on most helmets, but went with an XL on this one and I'm glad I did.

The flip down sun visor I find is adequate for the sun, but I think the big advantage is when cruising along slowly in heavy traffic. It's great to flip up the shield for air, but still have the sun visor down for a little wind protection.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought the EXo1000 a few seasons ago and got a really good deal from a local dealer that was letting them go at cost, think I paid $200. I went in not even looking at helmets......but left with one anyways.

Good helmet. Hot in the summer time, but keeps you warm in the winter. Visor seals up very well. I never use the air pump to snug up the fit, she fits my face very well without it. Drop down tinted visor works great and this is the #1 reason I bought the helmet. Fit and finish is really good, and it makes my HJC AC-12 feel super cheap. I wish they would drop the air pump system to save some weight......she's a heavy helmet and can wear on you on longer trips.

Good looking helmet Wrestler and I like the colors.

How are the bags working for you?

Adam, Sorry I am just responding to your last question. The bags are not working at all. I haven't used them yet. I am about to take a longer ride

and I know they will serve me well. Thanks

• Member Contributer

exo1000-rpm-gold.jpg

Metric! Metric?? This is the US sonny. We don't use no stinkin Killometres! :idea3:

But seriously, Wrestler, do you find that the sun visor doesn't come down far enough? I tried one on and it seemed like there was an awful lot that the internal flip down visor didn't cover. It made me sad because I love Scorpion stuff.

Jay, at first I thought that might be a problem. But the helmet has a lower line of sight. The top of the face opening hits right at your eyebrows so it helps shield the sun and glare. The visor leaves space underneath but it enables you to see true light when you need to but the sun is more than ably shielded. It's a sweet helmet. I might get the dark smoke visor later.

• Member Contributer

exo1000-rpm-gold.jpg

Metric! Metric?? This is the US sonny. We don't use no stinkin Killometres! :idea3:

Jay, at first I thought that might be a problem. But the helmet has a lower line of sight. The top of the face opening hits right at your eyebrows so it helps shield the sun and glare. The visor leaves space underneath but it enables you to see true light when you need to but the sun is more than ably shielded. It's a sweet helmet. I might get the dark smoke visor later.

That's what I was thinking...get the dark smoke sun visor. I think my 1000 probably came with a light smoke stock and it just doesn't seem to cut enough light in the summer. The helmet is a honkin' heavy one, especially compared to my Shoei RF-1000, but nice if you don't want to carry an extra visor for day and night travel. I've been told it's so heavy because it's perhaps still the only SNELL approved helmet with a retractable sun visor. I can't decide whether to take it on my long trip this summer due to the weight or just take my Shoei and carry a clear shield extra.

• Member Contributer

Sorry but your word to picture ratio is too high to keep my attention defecit disorder at bay. Post a picture if you can. I like my Scorpian EX400.

:biggrin:

Same here - have an EXO400 and 700. Very happy with fitment and noise levels, though the 400 is a little lackluster on the grab-and-break stuff. The EXO700 is a great lid.

Archived