Gps

Guest thedrunknmastr

• Forum CEO
Am I the only one who still navigates via the sun and the stars? I guess I'm getting old...

No wonder I found you in a ditch! gotta keep your eyes on the road! - navigates by the stars he says!

• Forum CEO

I must post an anecdote about my zumo. I have gone through a couple of cradles now, the first one just would not make good contact and the sound would cut out. I have other posts about my audiovox sound system communicator but the zumo plays a big role in that. So I took a recent trip to Kansas and then the new cradle started having issues too, it would cut off the power when I leaned over and go into a shut off cycle count down. It all started happening after spending 4 hours in a downpour on the way into Topeka so I just put silicone on the pins to seal up the contacts against the rain. Well when I got home I tried to take the zumo out of the cradle and the contact pad on the gps tore away with the silicone (stupid of me to do that) - also the hard button had worn away the rubber and it actually came out - the (+) button on the left side of the face - it just came out and so I glued it back in with rubber cement from a tube tire patch kit.

I contacted garmin about a repair having had this thing well over a year now, I cant remember exactly how long but I used it two times to go to the texasmac meet so its definitely over a year. Expecting to have to pay through the nose for the repairs I needed, I wrote them a Long story short I sent it in and got back a refurbished unit under warranty, no cost to me? They just took care of it, no problems! I wasn't expecting that and well I have a different unit now with some updated software in it - more features!

Garmin is expensive yes but the customer service has been excellent, above and beyond my expectations. I made on the road repairs to to the button that came out and then made a huge mistake with the silicone on the cradle and they still took it back and charged me nothing for the repairs! You cant beat that kind of customer service!

• 1 month later...

I use a Nuvi 750.

The Garmin Nuvi 7xx series is the cheapest Garmin GPS that will allow "custom routing" (i.e. map out route with MapSource on the PC, then load it into the device).

The 750 doesn't have bluetooth, but the 760 does. IMO the only thing the Nuvi 7xx series lacks compared to the Zumo is the waterproofing and the slick broker/host pairing the Zumo does with a cell phone + headset.

• Member Contributer

I use a Nuvi 750.

The Garmin Nuvi 7xx series is the cheapest Garmin GPS that will allow "custom routing" (i.e. map out route with MapSource on the PC, then load it into the device).

The 750 doesn't have bluetooth, but the 760 does. IMO the only thing the Nuvi 7xx series lacks compared to the Zumo is the waterproofing and the slick broker/host pairing the Zumo does with a cell phone + headset.

How does it do with recording tracks? Can it store more than 10K points?

Honestly I haven't played much with the tracking feature.

It actually has an "intelligent" tracking where it will track more in turns than it does on highway. As opposed to older systems where it would just take x-positions per minute.

From what I've looked at, there is no "easy" way to convert tracks to routes, short of just tracing over them with the route tool.

It holds a LOT in the track log, though.

• Member Contributer

Honestly I haven't played much with the tracking feature.

It actually has an "intelligent" tracking where it will track more in turns than it does on highway. As opposed to older systems where it would just take x-positions per minute.

From what I've looked at, there is no "easy" way to convert tracks to routes, short of just tracing over them with the route tool.

It holds a LOT in the track log, though.

I have really come to appreciate the tracking feature of the Zumo. Many GPS units only hold about two days worth of tracks but the Zumo series store about twenty times more and use the "intelligent" tracking feature too.

I have found that my carefully constructed tour routes rarely work out as planned. Hence being able to reconstruct what I actually did is pretty cool especially if I visit the area in the future.

I've read in the blurbs about the new VFR that it has GPS with integrated bar controls. BonusVFR post a pic up there ^, which looks to me like it is a honda branded Zumo.

Has anyone heard anything else about this? I wonder if it is true if we'll be able to retrofit some handlebar controls to our VFR's ?

• Member Contributer

I've read in the blurbs about the new VFR that it has GPS with integrated bar controls. BonusVFR post a pic up there ^, which looks to me like it is a honda branded Zumo.

Has anyone heard anything else about this? I wonder if it is true if we'll be able to retrofit some handlebar controls to our VFR's ?

Nope haven't seen anything about this myself. I'm not even sure the Zumo supports this type of interface, it would have to be some kind of Honda nav system like they use in cars.

This is the same GPS setup that has been available for the VTEC for some years now. Here it is sold seperately or as part of the touring package (GPS, heated grips, hard cases etc..). It is a Honda branded Zumo 550 with remote control on the handle bar.

Archived