Question On Powder Coating The Brake Carriers

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

About a year and a half or so ago I painted the brake carriers black. I cleaned the carriers really well and then used sandpaper to try and scuff 'em up a little. After taping everything but the carriers off, I used a rattle can of PJ1 high temperature engine and case paint on them. Although I think I did a pretty good job, it just hasn't held up well. Specifically, the paint's been flaking off and now they don't look so great.

Can the carriers be powder coated? If so, how well will it hold up? I don't know what the carriers are made of but I remember thinking the material was really hard because no matter how much sanding I did, I simply couldn't scuff 'em up.

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

• Member Contributer

You might give Custom Powder Coating a call. I had spoken with them about doing some wheels and they had decent pricing but I never made it up to Dallas. Apparently, they do work for OCC. Powder coating if done well should last many years without coming off and they shouldn't have any issues masking off the disc.

If you take the anodize off and scuff the bare metal(which a powder shop would do via media blasting), the paint will stick better. There's a method of stripping the anodize by mixing Drano crystals + water to create an acid bath which will also etch the anodize off, or you can try Easy-Off oven cleaner, but that will take longer. Then you can repaint the bare metal and it will last much longer.

I did one of mine (and both ones on my VFR750) with an aerosol wheel paint. Didn't bother doing any prep apart from cleaning with brake cleaner. So far, the VFR800's carrier looks fine. On the VFR750, they stood up well without any flaking or whatever.

I did one of mine (and both ones on my VFR750) with a gold aerosol wheel paint. Didn't bother doing any prep apart from cleaning with brake cleaner. So far, the VFR800's carrier looks fine. On the VFR750, they stood up well without any flaking or whatever.

• Member Contributer
my brother would have a heart attack if he saw that photo with your fingers on the braking surface.

Why is that? I've never heard of the oil (from one's fingers) damaging rotors.

If you take the anodize off and scuff the bare metal(which a powder shop would do via media blasting), the paint will stick better. There's a method of stripping the anodize by mixing Drano crystals + water to create an acid bath which will also etch the anodize off, or you can try Easy-Off oven cleaner, but that will take longer. Then you can repaint the bare metal and it will last much longer.

Will the Easy-Off harm the rotor or the rivets that hold the carrier and rotor together? Do I simply spray it on and let it sit?

I did one of mine (and both ones on my VFR750) with a gold aerosol wheel paint. Didn't bother doing any prep apart from cleaning with brake cleaner. So far, the VFR800's carrier looks fine. On the VFR750, they stood up well without any flaking or whatever.

I've never heard of paint specifically designed for wheels. What is the exact name of the product you used? Do you have a picture of it? I realize I live in a different part of the world, but it's a start. The reason I used high temperature engine & case paint (instead of regular paint) is because I've heard it sticks to surfaces better.

Thanks for sharing that. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Where in east Texas are you?

The rose capitol of the US.....Tyler.

You're not too far from me (I thought you were gonna say something like Texarkana or Lufkin.) We need to go for a ride.

I had mine done black almost 4 years ago when I did my wheels. They are holding up just fine. Guy charged me $15 each to do them.

gallery_1859_551_326343.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Did the guy paint or powder coat them? Looks good! :fing02:

That's what I'm talking about! Did the guy paint or powder coat them? Looks good! :rolleyes:

Powdercoat. The wheels were $100 for the set (stripped, powdercoated, & clear coated). Rotors were $15 each.

Archived