Look What Ups Delivered To My Door...

vanion2

• Member Contributer

gallery_9864_2412_688753.jpg

ContourHD Helmet Cam

gallery_9864_2412_58463.jpg

Compact? I think so!

Yep. Completely enclosed HD helmet cam that supports up to 16 Gigs of MicroSD memory that is both shock and weather resistant. Encased in anodized aluminum and weighing in at just over 4oz. I can record HD quality @ approximately 1 Gig per 30 minutes at 30 fps or SD @ 1 Gig per hour at 60 fps. It comes with a built in 135 degree wide angle lens, a lithium rechargeable battery that lasts approximately 2-3 hours, and I picked up the optional charging kit that allows for standard wall or car charging via the USB cable. The built in microphone has wind dampening noise cancellation incorporated and there is a dual laser horizontal adjustment feature that allows you to rotate the camera so that you are not getting off angle shots.

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet except to walk around the house with it but it is effortless to use and fast to get the video files from. Grand total? $335 which included shipping. I can't wait to try this puppy out! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

SWEET!

How about a test run to Sandia Crest early Sunday morning?

I'm out of town before that so you will have it all tested out and ready to rail by then for sure.

• Member Contributer

!!!!

I've been waiting for that to come out for the last couple months. I know it was released in early June. Give a good report on that, and don't you dare upload a video sample to youtube.

My only problem with it was the terrible battery life. Didn't realize you could have it on a charger all the time though.

• Member Contributer

How does this compare to the GoPro camera? The GoPro seems to have similar specs. I've used one before and it works pretty amazing considering how tiny they are. I'm guessing yours might have a better picture because the lens looks bigger (not that the GoPro is bad by any means). I'm just wondering what you get for 2x the price. Better sound I hope, GoPro sucks at that part.

• Member Contributer
SWEET!

How about a test run to Sandia Crest early Sunday morning?

I'm out of town before that so you will have it all tested out and ready to rail by then for sure.

I would love to but Sundays are "family" days. And I am booked both this Saturday and next as well due. sad.gif

Don't worry though. We will definitely get that run in for sure. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
How does this compare to the GoPro camera? The GoPro seems to have similar specs. I've used one before and it works pretty amazing considering how tiny they are. I'm guessing yours might have a better picture because the lens looks bigger (not that the GoPro is bad by any means). I'm just wondering what you get for 2x the price. Better sound I hope, GoPro sucks at that part.

GoPro records in High Definition? I don't have any experience with them so I can't offer an objective report there. I guess I will just have to post up some footage and let you make that determination. As for the sound quality, there are quite a few videos up all ready that you can check out to help you get an idea.

Just reading the specs though it records SD AVI's at 512x384 @ 30fps. The ContourHD records HD at 1280x720 @ 30 fps or SD at 848x480 @ 60fps. The GoPro motorsports edition would run you $199 while the ContourHD runs $279.99 (+ the optional charger kit I bought). These are just numbers though so they don't mean anything until you put to videos next to each other and compare the quality. I look forward to giving this cam a good run and letting you make the decision. wink.gif

• Member Contributer
!!!!

I've been waiting for that to come out for the last couple months. I know it was released in early June. Give a good report on that, and don't you dare upload a video sample to youtube.

My only problem with it was the terrible battery life. Didn't realize you could have it on a charger all the time though.

Yeah...I wasn't impressed with the batter life either. And you can't have it on the charger the whole time because in order to power up the unit you need to have the back shield in place. But when you are not capturing footage you can plug it in then on the go to keep the charge up. I also plan on picking up a 2nd battery ($30) to keep things simpler but I want to test the unit out within my 30 day period to make sure I am 100% satisfied (free refund if not). I will post up links to the hosting site when I get some footage so no YouTube defacement will occur. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

GoPro records in High Definition? I don't have any experience with them so I can't offer an objective report there. I guess I will just have to post up some footage and let you make that determination. As for the sound quality, there are quite a few videos up all ready that you can check out to help you get an idea.

Just reading the specs though it records SD AVI's at 512x384 @ 30fps. The ContourHD records HD at 1280x720 @ 30 fps or SD at 848x480 @ 60fps. The GoPro motorsports edition would run you $199 while the ContourHD runs $279.99 (+ the optional charger kit I bought). These are just numbers though so they don't mean anything until you put to videos next to each other and compare the quality. I look forward to giving this cam a good run and letting you make the decision. wink.gif

Sweet, it looks like a lot nicer camera.

• Member Contributer

Nice. Bastage. LOL. V-DUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the ticket!

SWEET!!! Looks like a great camera. You're taking it up to Dillon right? My next couples of weekends are busy too. Let me know when your schedule opens up and maybe we can get together with Zia and do another Jemez run.

Action

• Member Contributer

I'd read a lot of reviews on the GoPro and Vholdr and decided on the GoPro yesterday. I know the Vholdr will capture better video, but I didn't want to be tide down with battery specific device. I went with the GoPro because it uses two AAA batteries and I can always get the batteries anywhere I travel without worrying about the batteries running out. Also right now, all the site I go to are out of the Vholdr. The soonest anyone would have them in stock is late July to early August, plus there a waiting list at most online/locate retailers. BTW, I got the GoPro for $152 including shipping. I figured I can wait for true 1080P in a year.

• Member Contributer
I'd read a lot of reviews on the GoPro and Vholdr and decided on the GoPro yesterday. I know the Vholdr will capture better video, but I didn't want to be tide down with battery specific device. I went with the GoPro because it uses two AAA batteries and I can always get the batteries anywhere I travel without worrying about the batteries running out. Also right now, all the site I go to are out of the Vholdr. The soonest anyone would have them in stock is late July to early August, plus there a waiting list at most online/locate retailers. BTW, I got the GoPro for $152 including shipping. I figured I can wait for true 1080P in a year.

Glad to hear you found something that works for you. :fing02:

I had a list of requirements that I wanted:

1. Self contained and light

2. Weather proof and durable

3. Less than $400 (most of the units I were looking at were easily twice this)

4. Simple operation and flexible mounting

5. Highest quality available in my price range

This put the ContourHD at the top of the list even with it's limitations. No wires to fuss with, I don't have to worry about it getting wet, and the operation is as easy as sliding the over sized tab from standby to record. It's not the cheapest product out there but it certainly isn't the most expensive either. The thing that sold it for me was the rotatable lens feature. I have seen shots where the cameras are off angle and end up getting distracted by that as opposed to watching the video. I tap the power button and the lasers kick on letting me know how far to rotate it to get it horizontal. Easy (and a great way to distract the cat :laugh:).

@Action: You know I am taking this with me to Dillon. I will post up the next ride once the dust settles over here. I am thinking something before the end of the month for sure but not too close as you will be in finals hell.

I have a ride planned with the missus this weekend and will get to test it out then. I don't expect to turn into a video editing machine. I just want to capture some of the scenery on the rides for my own personal benefit and having a quality recording device will just make it that much sweeter when I go back to watch the rides when I can't be out on the bike. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Enjoy your ride this weekend and avoid the rain if you can! :happy:

:laugh:

The 2 up Saturday evening dinner cruise with moon light return is our favorite.

:blush: :wub:

We go as far as Santa Fe to find the ultimate Green or Red chili. (there are so many great places to try)

:fing02:

Archived