Just Changed Bearings/forks

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

Here we go "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people" (Mr Garrison South Park) Well I am going to be one of those people. As the title states I got my bike together now after the accident & did a little ride yesterday...I know that these ?'s or statements might just be normal, I just would like to get a 2nd opinion since this is the first time I have done this type of work TIA :biggrin:

First of all the forks have Harley Davidson Showa Fork oil Type E if my memory serves me right(the only bike shop open on Sunday) so that might have a little to do with the slowed up/down movement of the forks(my impression) It just seems slower to me.

Second- The Steering seems a lot faster, what I mean by that is the bars take no effort to have the bike move, or like comparing a truck to a sports car My memory if right ,recalls it being not that easy before. I put new bearings in the head & tightened it all back per the manual. There is no slop in the bars(up/down) as I put it together(with no forks) it was solid. As I was on my test ride yesterday Everything was solid/stable Even at Highway speeds with my hands off the bars(I know...) I was just testing :blush:

Am I just experiencing now how it should have been before? I guess a '94 with 60K on it would be different :huh:

Would this be a normal change?

I also have not set up the SAG yet either, so I am just feeling out the differences and trying to verify my thoughts...

I will know more as soon as I can get some correct fluid & set up the sag front & back.

Thanks

Gary

V-FORE

Am I just experiencing now how it should have been before? I guess a '94 with 60K on it would be different

If that was original the steering head bearing was probably shot, among other things. So, maybe yes. :blush:

First of all the forks have Harley Davidson Showa Fork oil Type E if my memory serves me right(the only bike shop open on Sunday) so that might have a little to do with the slowed up/down movement of the forks(my impression) It just seems slower to me.

From a quick search, Type E is 5wt oil. I would think the movement was actually a little faster with that oil in it if stock was 10wt (not sure what stock was for a 94 VFR though).

I will know more as soon as I can get some correct fluid & set up the sag front & back.

Just an FYI and you probablyy already know this: Fluid type/viscosity will have zero effect on sag settings. Fluid and valving only come into effect when there's movement of the suspension. Sag is strictly spring (and seal stiction wink.gif )

• Member Contributer

From a quick search, Type E is 5wt oil. I would think the movement was actually a little faster with that oil in it if stock was 10wt (not sure what stock was for a 94 VFR though).

5wt is standard for a 4th gen.

V-FORE,

Congrats on getting your bike back together so fast and even riding again!

Had you changed the fork oil in the past? That makes a (nice) difference in and of itself. The addition of new steering head bearings probably helped, too. One last thought is that maybe the fork tubes are riding higher in the triple clamps now? That would account for the quicker turn-in, too.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the info, after riding in to work today, it all seems more normal, so most of my thoughts were from not riding for three weeks :dry: Most of the change is most likely due to the fork oil having never been changed "5wt is standard for a 4th gen." So I would think that after 15 years & 60k of use that it would loose alot of viscosity(sp) & the forks higher in the top triple.

Jstanwood I love the avatar :beer:

Again thanks for all the help/info/encouragement This Forum Rocks! time to donate :wacko:

Gary

Changing the height of the fork tubes in the triple clamps makes alot of difference, I KNOW SOMEONE expressed this upstream,but having more of the fork tube sticking out of the triple clamp

speeds up the steering,if you take the fork tubes and take them all the way in to the triple clamp,none of the fork tube showing,then you slow the steering down ,but also increase high speed stability.

Like everything in life its a trade off. eddie

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Did you replace with OEM bearings or tapered roller bearings?

Tapered rollers feel a lot different!

Where do you get the tapered roller bearings anyway?

Here: http://www.goallballs.com/Product_lookup_results_shop.asp

Or at any Parts Unlimited dealer. Kits for all VFRs are the same, I got the same part number kit for my 83, 86, and 05 bikes.

I do NOT recommend their fork seals, but the bearings are great! I've used a lot of their wheel bearings too!

• Member Contributer

Or at any Parts Unlimited dealer. Kits for all VFRs are the same, I got the same part number kit for my 83, 86, and 05 bikes.

I do NOT recommend their fork seals, but the bearings are great! I've used a lot of their wheel bearings too!

Thanks .............you are up to weekend. Thought I would do the bearings too when I upgrade the front suspension.

Thanks .............you are up to weekend. Thought I would do the bearings too when I upgrade the front suspension.

Sweet! :biggrin:

Archived