Dzus Fastener Swap Out

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

OK, so I had a set of 5 ratty old Dzus fasteners that I stuck on my '99 a few years ago. Then I had a thumb screw type dealie to make up the last of the front side fasteners. I finally decided to get some new ones from Kurveygirl on Ebay. Of course I never bothered to measure the working length of the ones I had, and ordered the standard 12mm working length Dzus fasteners.

Unfortunately they are mighty tight, and I should have ordered the 14mm working length set.

I also decided to use them for the four bolts and well nuts on the top side of the front fairing. The two inner ones that attach into the aluminum tabs were too thick for the 12mm, so I had to use the ratty old 14's I had on hand. Everything else worked, but I would definitely recommend getting the 14mm. You'd need 10 total.

I wanted to use them for the under side fasteners, but the backing plates were too thick to allow the tabs to mate properly. Back to plastic clips for mine.

No pics, sorry I'm lazy...

I used some 1/4 turn fasteners from McMasters and had the same problem on the inner top ones. I just can't get them fastened properly. I did however get the two on the bottom in the center working pretty good.

Did you get the "D" rings ones??

• Member Contributer
I used some 1/4 turn fasteners from McMasters and had the same problem on the inner top ones. I just can't get them fastened properly. I did however get the two on the bottom in the center working pretty good.

Did you get the "D" rings ones??

Yep, got those. Shiny ones, not the black ones. Probably better off getting the black ones. I gotta stay off ebay when the beer is flowing... :beer: The original reason I was buying from Kurveygirl was the Ariete valve stems in Red for the RC51's Marvic rims. All black race fairings, tank, and wheels with flash of red valve stems. Gonna be sweet! :biggrin:

Forgot to mention that you'd need to widen the holes in the fairings a little. I used a step bit and it took two steps more.

• Member Contributer

Did you look at doing the 4 bolts/well nuts on the front inner (black) fairing? Think it would work?

Do these keep the fairings as snug as the oem fasteners?

The well nuts have a way of keeping everything in place and damping the vibrations. Will these allow the panels to move around or otherwise create a sloppy fit?

• Member Contributer
Did you look at doing the 4 bolts/well nuts on the front inner (black) fairing? Think it would work?

Um, I think I did those. If we are talking about the same bits, that is. There are the two on each side of the cockpit area. The inner one mates to a well nut mounted in an aluminum tab, and the outer one into a well nut fitted in the top of the side fairing. The inner one is the spot I was forced to use my old 14mm, and the outer was ok with the 12mm new one.

Seb, they are plenty tight! Like I mentioned, I had some old dirty looking Dzus fasteners in there already. They have been perfect for several years. For added piece of mind, the fasteners can be secured to the bodywork with an additional plastic washer. I didn't bother because I didn't think the extra washer would fit, and because the old one I had in there have never come loose.

I think I originally got the idea from HS, and you know he puts the miles on. So you know they stay put!

Obviously, I cannot comment on 6th gen as I only have the '99. Farings should go together in a similar fashion. At least with regard to the joint between the side and front panels. It is also pretty similar to the RC51 in that area but that has fewer bolts than my VFR.

Oh, and just for fun I swapped out the OEM foot pegs for some OEM RC51 pegs! I really need someone to make me some plates to mount rearsets in there! That one dude overseas building the Fifth Gen track bike did his own, and I'd love to do it too! :biggrin: Could do the full RC51 rearsets with linkage.

Are you good with a caliper? I just got done making a set of adapter plates for a guy with a 900RR - he adapted a set of 600RR rearsets.

If you can measure your bolt spacing and some rough frame dimensions, I can draw something up for you in CAD, and provide you with a waterjet toolpath.

Um, I think I did those. If we are talking about the same bits, that is. There are the two on each side of the cockpit area. The inner one mates to a well nut mounted in an aluminum tab, and the outer one into a well nut fitted in the top of the side fairing. The inner one is the spot I was forced to use my old 14mm, and the outer was ok with the 12mm new one.

I think he is talking about the front black plastic directly behind the front wheel. The "V" shaped piece.

• Member Contributer
Are you good with a caliper? I just got done making a set of adapter plates for a guy with a 900RR - he adapted a set of 600RR rearsets.

If you can measure your bolt spacing and some rough frame dimensions, I can draw something up for you in CAD, and provide you with a waterjet toolpath.

Have you seen the 5th Gen footpegs? It's a rather large piece that the chain and the swingarm axle passes through.

And, no I'm not... :biggrin:

Gotcha Ken! Wasn't thinking about that piece. I'm not sure off hand what the well nut fits into. I think that it is not a flat surface that would allow the Dzus backing plate to fit over. Additionally, the D Ring type would not fit into the recessed area for the bolt head. One of the button head type, still in a 1/4 turn fastener, would be required.

Oh, and just for fun I swapped out the OEM foot pegs for some OEM RC51 pegs! I really need someone to make me some plates to mount rearsets in there! That one dude overseas building the Fifth Gen track bike did his own, and I'd love to do it too! :biggrin: Could do the full RC51 rearsets with linkage.

There's a young guy here in Chattanooga that is building a custom Superhawk. One of the things he made was rearsets, and they came out really nice (and they bolt up just like the 5th gen, but they're slightly different). He lives with his father, and his father has a whole machine shop in the garage... and this kid knows how to do all of it, what a talent.

Anyway, he is willing to make stuff from scratch for time and materials, and he's pretty reasonable, so if you worked with him I'm sure you two could come up with just the right thing... maybe you could have him make 10 sets when you get the design worked out, and then market them... The only thing I couldn't seem to change enough on my 5th gen was ground clearance....

There's a young guy here in Chattanooga that is building a custom Superhawk.

If you've got a couple of hours to blow, check out the details of his build on this thread...

http://superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16652

Hey, small world! I made the waterjet programs for his CCT's and forkbrace! :cool:

• Member Contributer

I meant the lower inner fairing down by the header, there's two on each side, plus a plastic clip on ea. side. Those are always the most difficult for me to remove.

edit: Saw your later reply, thanks.

• Member Contributer

I meant the lower inner fairing down by the header, there's two on each side, plus a plastic clip on ea. side. Those are always the most difficult for me to remove.

edit: Saw your later reply, thanks.

I took a look at a spare fairing I had and the Dzus backing plate won't work as is. No way it would slide onto the well nut mounting tab thingy. Maybe with the rivet on backing plate and some creativity.

Archived