Garage Door Opener

original007

Question

25 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

There's a thread here about that somewhere. I wired mine in to the high beam circuit through a relay.

There's a thread here about that somewhere. I wired mine in to the high beam circuit through a relay.

I tried searching could not find it figured i would leave it to the site pros.I like your idea.Where did you moungt the unit?

Guest vfrrider

Mr. Cheap Skate here,

I just slide a mini control in my jacket pocket with the button out. Push on jacket in the right spot and viola, open says me.

Larry

• Member Contributer

I tried searching could not find it figured i would leave it to the site pros.I like your idea.Where did you moungt the unit?

I thought there was something more recent but here's a thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34900

I wired my remote internally the same way, except instead of going to a button I wired it to one side of a relay. The other side of the relay is tied to the headlight high beam circuit. It's all mounted behind the right fairing on my '99. Flick the high beams and it activates the remote.

• Member Contributer

How did you set up the relay so the opener isn't broadcasting when you're running your high beams? The way I'm imagining it would have the opener on when the high beams are on...

Ok so I soldered a jumper across the button contacts and will wire the power to the high beam relay. I'll just bury the unit wherever it will fit.Thanks for the info, Jim.

How did you set up the relay so the opener isn't broadcasting when you're running your high beams? The way I'm imagining it would have the opener on when the high beams are on...

No big deal for me. I have a headlight flasher on low beams never really use the high beams.Might ride in the night once a year.Could wire up a button if that is an issue.

• Member Contributer

The Chamberlain brand I have doesn't broadcast continuously, it's only a momentary signal even if you hold the button down. I imagine the other brands are the same but test first.

• Member Contributer

Seems like alot of extra work to me considering you can just buy a mini opener similar to a car alarm control and velcro it to your bike.

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I mounted a tiny momentary switch in the blank off plate that is just forward of the headlight switch on left handle bar. Soldered right to switch contacts in remote and you dont have to mess with tapping into high beam wires. Just another option...

I mounted mine under the left fairing, with a small push button switch under the windshield pillar...most people don't see it there and it works very well.

Anyone hard wire their garage door opener to their bike?I am planning to, looking for some ideas.

Yeah, I just bought a universal remote opener and programed it to the door. Then I wired in an external momentary switch from Radioshack which cost like $5. Total cost was about $45

I have the box itself behind the front left turn signal, and have the wire ran to the right hand side of the bike, with the switch in the inner fairing. I wanted it so that you can have the clutch in and still push the button. I couldn't put the box on the right hand side of the bike because I have the alarm & remote start box there.

Long story short, if you have any electronic experience it's simple, and well worth it.

P.S. Don't forget to water proof the box with silicone or something like that.

There's a post here somewhere about mine. The remote's velcroed under the front fairing, above the headlights. The switch is in the right-hand switchblock blanking plate, just above the starter button. (It's where there's a light switch on some Yurpeen models).

When the switch dies again, I'm going to connect it to the headlight flasher, as I find the thumb-operated switch a bit awkward compared to operating the flasher. I'll either just use a simple relay, or the same timer I've used before; it activates for some programmed amount of time, and then turns off, so it won't be continuously operating the remote if I turn the headlights on full.

Anyone hard wire their garage door opener to their bike?I am planning to, looking for some ideas.

Saw this vid of how to wire it into your horn. I don't have a garage, but for those that do it'd be a pretty sweet system...

Saw this vid of how to wire it into your horn. I don't have a garage, but for those that do it'd be a pretty sweet system...

I've just invested in an opener exactly like the one in the video. She's only about 5 month's old now, but I figure in a year or three she'll be ready. It would take me that long to solder up something electronic, anyway.

I'm looking to add an opener this winter (too busy ridin' to solder). Mounting the switch and remote is no problem, but I am wondering if I can wire the power to the bike as well. My opener is a Genie Intellicode and takes a 12v battery (size A23) so it looks possible. Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm looking to add an opener this winter (too busy ridin' to solder). Mounting the switch and remote is no problem, but I am wondering if I can wire the power to the bike as well. My opener is a Genie Intellicode and takes a 12v battery (size A23) so it looks possible. Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have and enjoy it a great deal. At first I went into the high beam switch but was hitting the neighbors house late at night so re-worked it into the right turn signal. Mine is a Genie so it worked well. The turn signal is on a digital relay, so there is a pulse in the current. When I'm in range, hit the turn signal. If I leave it on, it will stop, then go down, then stop, then go up........repeat. But. It's enough time between to hit it then cancel. I hard wired it into the circuit under the fairing. I removed the switch on board and bridged that gap, then wired into the circuit at on battery terminal, and ground at the other terminal. I was sticking the remote into a pocket on my jacket or tank bag, but often would not have it. Now it's there when I need it, always.

After my trials, it's an easy mod and the results are awesome. PM me if I can help with this. ( right turn circuit is the baby blue )

Bruce

I had mine working for about 5 years now. I purchased an "interval timer" kit off the internet and connected it to my

high beam. I set the timer for about 3 seconds, that way I can leave the brights on and the timer opens the connection to the garage door opener. Easy and lasts a long time.

Don't they make key chain openers? it is annoying but I'm lazy so I haven't looked into it but I think I'm going to look for a key chain one first that way someone can't steal it and follow me home. LOL I'm really not that paranoid.

• Member Contributer
Don't they make key chain openers? it is annoying but I'm lazy so I haven't looked into it but I think I'm going to look for a key chain one first that way someone can't steal it and follow me home. LOL I'm really not that paranoid.

As far as the Chamberlain brand garage door openers, yes, they make a small key chain opener. I suspect the other manufacturers do also, check around.

• Member Contributer

:cool: Good idea. That's what I'll do.

• Member Contributer

Mine was the one with the photos listed above... power has never been an issue with mine. i think i replace the battery for the first time just a couple weeks ago. Its held up very well. It has seen some nasty weather on my trip to the west coast last year and is still ticking...

My garage door opener is an old Sears model... the remotes for these are kinda' large, not the keychain type.

I have one installed in my "big sled" (1500 Vulcan) velcroed atop the coolant reservoir under the right side cover.