Cf Losing Its Luster... What To Do?

Guest field3

Guest field3

CF losing its luster... what to do?

My CF 2 Bro's can is losing its shine...

What have you all done to buff it up and keep it?

I've seen articles on McGuires regarding using fine sand paper and then coating... is there anything that we can use thats less abrasive and provides more coating/protection for the long term?

Such as epoxy?

Suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Yeap, check my blog...

Repack the MIG blog

From this...

gallery_1632_4468_1968098.jpg

Sun checked, faded and flaking

gallery_1632_4468_1146830.jpg

Satin rattle can after some scotchbrite and water

gallery_1632_4468_2777484.jpg

P3070013.JPG

The flash really ruined the pictures, I can shoot more in natural light if you need to be convinced...

Could it be, what's happening is some sort of gel coating on the surface of the CF is breaking down from the heat. I know fiberglass boat hulls and decks do employ a gel coat that sometimes have to be redone after UV deterioration erodes it down too much. I 'm thinking that the light and heat exposure on your CF cans are doing the same to it's finish?? Otherwise, I'm not sure if the epoxy resin that's used on CF cans could be polished to the same shineyness as the gel coats on boats.

Beck

95 VFR

A light coat of WD-40 seems to work wonders. :biggrin:

Hmmm.... if that would work, maybe Vasiline would also work. It's used by cage collectors to restore dried out finishes on plastic black bumper covers and trim.

Beck

95 VFR

A light coat of WD-40 seems to work wonders. :fing02:

Hmmm.... if that would work, maybe Vasiline would also work. It's used by cage collectors to restore dried out finishes on plastic black bumper covers and trim.

Beck

95 VFR

O RLY?? :blink:

I would try a microfiber towel and some mild buffing compound like 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze first. If that doesn't do the trick, then use a buffer.

If that doesn't cut the mustard, then I would scuff it and spray a new clearcoat on. The buffing compound will easily wash off with soap and water, where the Vaseline would pretty much ruin any chance of getting a proper coat of paint on after it's been applied.

I restored the finish on my Wolf underseat CF cans by lightly polishing them with Mothers aluminium polish - they came up like new.

Archived