Stator Got Fried ....again

Guest ChrisR

Guest ChrisR

Hello folks ,

After ordering a new stator and RR for my '02 VFR800 from Electrosport , I've purchased a new battery , installed the stat and RR and one hour later , surprise , the stator got fried again . Any ideas where to start and what to do at this point ???

No melted connectors , all the tests I've done showed me the charging system works OK .(after the second stat got installed)

Regards.

Chris

• Member Contributer

Tightwads VFRness cured all my electrical problems, but yours sounds pretty serious if you fried a stator in a couple hours, I'd suggest that you PM Tightwad directly as he know his stuff

• Forum CEO

Electrosport, yes I have had a few members and a good riding buddy dissapointed by the stator they bought from Electrosport on thier VTEC 6th generation vfr. The stator they bought from Electrosport was simply not beefy enough for the output of a vtec for one thing, it is basically the stator of a 5th gen, however the power draw on the headlights that makes the difference, the 6th gen uses both an h7 and an h4 bulb simultanously in high beam so you need more output. The 6th generation vfr uses about as much power as you can for a standard motorcycle with the sportbike internal stator and external RR configuration. Its a good design for sport riding and racing however most touring bikes such as the goldwing and concours use a car design where their is a seperate alertnator where the rr is built into it and its well away from the heat of the motor. Honda pretty much pushes the limit on the internal stator and external RR design when it comes to the Vtec VFR. You cant get much better performance out of a stator then the OEM, the weakness is in the wire harness.

IMPORTANT TWO RECALLS

The 02 had an underperforming stator but that was recalled in 03 and has since been replaced with a better stator and flywheel combo, since your bike is an 02 you should check to see if that recall work has been done on your stator and flywheel. There is also a recall on the wire harness, which you should also have done. two seperate recalls that you dont have to lay out a dime for!

You have a short somwhere that fried the orginal beefy stator and also that wimpy electrosport stator in just one hour! Have a look at your main buss fuse and wire - notorious for overheating and melting the connector that is addressed in the recall. They also replace a section of the wire harness that binds all the ground wires together a blue connection where all the green ground wires are connected and grounded out its also a part that has failed on the VTEC - its part of the recall as well. Tighwad had this all figured out before Honda issued a recall and made an alternate wire harness that is better in many ways than the recall harness since it works in addtion to the honda harness and bolsters the main buss fuse and ground connectors. Read the 6th generation forum for more info.

Electrosport, yes I have had a few members and a good riding buddy dissapointed by the stator they bought from Electrosport on thier VTEC 6th generation vfr. The stator they bought from Electrosport was simply not beefy enough for the output of a vtec for one thing, it is basically the stator of a 5th gen, however the power draw on the headlights that makes the difference, the 6th gen uses both an h7 and an h4 bulb simultanously in high beam so you need more output. The 6th generation vfr uses about as much power as you can for a standard motorcycle with the sportbike internal stator and external RR configuration. Its a good design for sport riding and racing however most touring bikes such as the goldwing and concours use a car design where their is a seperate alertnator where the rr is built into it and its well away from the heat of the motor. Honda pretty much pushes the limit on the internal stator and external RR design when it comes to the Vtec VFR. You cant get much better performance out of a stator then the OEM, the weakness is in the wire harness.

IMPORTANT TWO RECALLS

The 02 had an underperforming stator but that was recalled in 03 and has since been replaced with a better stator and flywheel combo, since your bike is an 02 you should check to see if that recall work has been done on your stator and flywheel. There is also a recall on the wire harness, which you should also have done. two seperate recalls that you dont have to lay out a dime for!

You have a short somwhere that fried the orginal beefy stator and also that wimpy electrosport stator in just one hour! Have a look at your main buss fuse and wire - notorious for overheating and melting the connector that is addressed in the recall. They also replace a section of the wire harness that binds all the ground wires together a blue connection where all the green ground wires are connected and grounded out its also a part that has failed on the VTEC - its part of the recall as well. Tighwad had this all figured out before Honda issued a recall and made an alternate wire harness that is better in many ways than the recall harness since it works in addtion to the honda harness and bolsters the main buss fuse and ground connectors. Read the 6th generation forum for more info.

Thanks,

The stator/flywheel recall has not been performed on my bike and Honda doesn't support the replacement anymore . Though , last year , they did replace the wire harness under the second recall. I don't know if I can get my money back from Electrosport but I will most likely go now with the OEM parts .

The question is now , should I go to a Honda shop and have them do the work so I will be covered in the event of a third failure , or just get the parts and do it myself?!?!?!?

I will though have a look at Tighwad's stuff.

THX.

I have had good luck with the Stators I get from Ricks. I would thoroughly clean and tighten all connections.

+1 on the Ricks. I have about 8K on mine - no probs.

If you have not had the alternator recall done the original rotor is a different size than the recall one. The recall replaced both the stator and the rotor. A new stator probalbly is not compatible with the old pre-recall rotor.

My '02 had the recall done on '04. Then in '07 at 45k miles the stator went out. I quickly went through 2 of Rick's stators. In desparation I replaced the stator, rotor, rectifier, and battery. I had the wiring recall done at the same time. At 70k miles now the charging system is working well. I have since had to replace the 30 amp main fuse holder by the battery.

I ordered stator and R/R from Servicehonda.com much cheaper than the local dealer. Along with the stator they sent me the rotor for free because all honda had was leftover recall kits for the 02 in a package. It was easy to replace.

If you have not had the alternator recall done the original rotor is a different size than the recall one. The recall replaced both the stator and the rotor. A new stator probalbly is not compatible with the old pre-recall rotor.

My '02 had the recall done on '04. Then in '07 at 45k miles the stator went out. I quickly went through 2 of Rick's stators. In desparation I replaced the stator, rotor, rectifier, and battery. I had the wiring recall done at the same time. At 70k miles now the charging system is working well. I have since had to replace the 30 amp main fuse holder by the battery.

I ordered stator and R/R from Servicehonda.com much cheaper than the local dealer. Along with the stator they sent me the rotor for free because all honda had was leftover recall kits for the 02 in a package. It was easy to replace.

Thanks BadBoy ,

So you think I should replace the fly wheel also ??? I'm done with non-OEM stators , I have ordered a new stator from Servicehonda as well , I'm expecting it next week . I didn't know that the recall involved the fly wheel too , I hope the new OEM stat will work fine with my original one. Meanwhile I'm thinking of eliminating the plastic connectors between the stat and rectifier to avoid the melting, any suggestions what should I use ??!?!?

Also , should I replace the 30Amp with a 15A now???

Thanks to all of you for the replies .

You have to upgrade the Flywheel to use with the latest stators revised in 2003 , not an option as far as I know

I would have ordered the entire upgrade kit, if they are still available

The stator/flywheel recall has not been performed on my bike and Honda doesn't support the replacement anymore .

I was always under the impression that a recall had to be performed by the manufacturer.

Archived